"the other playoff" - playing for draft position

section122

I know I was among the many "leading the charge" that I wanted the team to win out. Well after last night's win by Cincy I thought it would be interesting to see how high the Bills could pick in the draft if everything worked out right. Currently the Bills are drafting 11th so if you are among the many that are looking for a lose out get the best pick possible these are your scenarios.

Week 15:

Philly has already lost unfortunately

Jags over Miami

Tenn over NY Jets

Cle over Washington (I don't think this happens)

Seattle over Buffalo

unbelievably all other teams above us in the draft are playing each other

kc vs oak (better if KC wins)

car vs sd (better for Bills if Chargers win)

det vs arizona (I don't think there is any way the cards win so we will call it a lions W)

if all of this happen the Bills will move up to the 7th pick

week 16:

Miami over Buffalo

KC over Indy (don't think this happens)

Jags over Pats (no way this happens - but this is just an exercise)

Oak over Carolina (don't think this happens either)

Philly over Washington (don't think this happens either)

Arizona over Chicago (don't think this happens either)

Amazingly none of this would improve the Bills position they would still be drafting 7th

week 17:

Kc over Denver

Jax over Tenn

Oak over SD

Philly over NYG

Car over Saints

zona over 49ers

If all of this happens the Bills could do no worse than the 5th pick and as well as the #1 pick depending on tie breakers. Their is no way this happens though as week 16 is filled with improbable scenarios. "Best case" appears to be #7 with a lose out scenario so... good luck?

I'll update after this weeks games

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. The difference of 1 pick could be the difference between McKelvin and Patrick Willis....or Roethlisberger and Lee Evans (2 picks apart). So each loss is vitally important.

The neat thing is the strength of schedule tiebreaker should favor the Bills in the first round.

I hate Bills fans, not really, but this is rediculous...this is the losers playoffs and breeds a loser's mentality. I'd like to see where you are in life. Don't bother saying what you do or where you are in life either, because I just wont believe you anyway.

Win at all costs! True fan!

Go Bills!!!

I hate Bills fans, not really, but this is rediculous...this is the losers playoffs and breeds a loser's mentality. I'd like to see where you are in life. Don't bother saying what you do or where you are in life either, because I just wont believe you anyway.

Go Bills!!!

yep label the fans! mire in mediocrity another 13 years with no more top draft picks besides Dareus!

give it a break....losing out is debateably the smart thing to do.

in life i clean the dumpsters for my local waste management so what. im not on welfare

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Go Bills!!!

Yes...it has come to this. I see the other side of the fence in wanting to win out, but I am so disillusioned by the current regime that I want change. Again. Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. See you in 2018.

yep label the fans! mire in mediocrity another 13 years with no more top draft picks besides Dareus!

Won't give it a break, you're not a fan by the very nature of the word. Fans root for teams to win, not lose. That's it and thats all. Loser mentality. So we lose 3 games in a row, move up 3 or 4 picks. You really think that matters enough in a crapshoot that is the draft? Cmon, you're smarter than that.

Or, we win 3 games in a row, build on someting for next year and go out on a positive.

Go ahead though, continue on with your loser mentality. I don't take shots against any type of "fan", except for this type, which I guess is not taking any shots at a fan at all, because you're not a fan.

in life i clean the dumpsters for my local waste management so what. im not on welfare

Its also laughble that you say THE fans, as in the royal "WE THE FANS" as if everyone that is a FAN sees it your way. Sad.

Yes...it has come to this. I see the other side of the fence in wanting to win out, but I am so disillusioned by the current regime that I want change. Again. Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat. See you in 2018.

See, therein lies your problem. We rince and repeat by firing this regime after 3 years, just like the regime before them and before them etc etc and so on and so on.

So, what makes you think we're going to be successful this time after 3 years? No, the prudent and smart thing would seem to be to keep the current regime, maybe tweak a coach or two and continue on. There is some improvement in areas and disrupting the continuity will just magnify our problems.

Won't give it a break, you're not a fan by the very nature of the word. Fans root for teams to win, not lose. That's it and thats all. Loser mentality. So we lose 3 games in a row, move up 3 or 4 picks. You really think that matters enough in a crapshoot that is the draft? Cmon, you're smarter than that.

Or, we win 3 games in a row, build on someting for next year and go out on a positive.

Go ahead though, continue on with your loser mentality. I don't take shots against any type of "fan", except for this type, which I guess is not taking any shots at a fan at all, because you're not a fan.

thanks for clarifying my fandom :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

i am a fan who knows the coaching and qb must go. you keep wading in sub mediocrity with these inept scrubs. I will go with the better draft pick that can help to turn things around :thumbsup: ya seeee thats what this "bad fan" would like to see.

thanks for playing fan or no fan with the sandwich.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

See, therein lies your problem. We rince and repeat by firing this regime after 3 years, just like the regime before them and before them etc etc and so on and so on.

So, what makes you think we're going to be successful this time after 3 years? No, the prudent and smart thing would seem to be to keep the current regime, maybe tweak a coach or two and continue on. There is some improvement in areas and disrupting the continuity will just magnify our problems.

So what should we continue? The 6 win, double digit loss seasons? The horrible clock management? The game plan that puts your best offensive player on the sideline and has a mediocre at best QB throw 30+ times a game? The lack of passion when we seem to get screwed by a call? The defense that has improved but can never make a 4th quarter stop when needed? The offense that you know will turn the ball over or screw up a potential game tying or winning drive? The lack of vision that had us switch to a 3-4 and draft accordingly, only to scrap it, rendering some of our previous picks useless? Knowing you have a mediocre QB and drafting one 7th rounder in three drafts?

Yes. Continuity is the answer.

Wrong. It does matter. And there's something called the long term view and strategic planning.

If you are a long term view fan than it makes sense to hope your team loses out once they've been eliminated from the playoffs, so you can give yourself the best shot of improving your team in the offseason and ensuring greater success (i.e. "more winning") in the future. Long term view fans are likely educated and successful, or at least currently on the journey to achieving these things.

Short term view fans want to win every game possible, regardless of future repercussions. They lack the ability to delay gratification for a greater future prize. They are likely less educated, less financially successful, and unhealthy/obese.

Wrong. It does matter. And there's something called the long term view and strategic planning.

If you are a long term view fan than it makes sense to hope your team loses out once they've been eliminated from the playoffs, so you can give yourself the best shot of improving your team in the offseason and ensuring greater success (i.e. "more winning") in the future. Long term view fans are likely educated and successful, or at least currently on the journey to achieving these things.

Short term view fans want to win every game possible, regardless of future repercussions. They lack the ability to delay gratification for a greater future prize. They are likely less educated, less financially successful, and unhealthy/obese.

Here's why this is false, you said ENSURE our future success. Tell me, how are you going to gaurentee that losing out is going to lead to success?

I'd put money on the idea that these 3 or 4 picks that we might gain by losing out would have no bearing on our future success if there was a way to quantify that.

i am a fan who thinks he knows the coaching and qb must go. you keep wading in sub mediocrity with these inept scrubs. I will go with the better draft pick that can help to turn things around :thumbsup: ya seeee thats what this "bad fan" would like to see.

There, fixed it for you. This is an opinion not fact, see above post. Unless of course you have a crystal ball that says "if we get the 3rd pick we will win 5 championships in the next 5 seasons". If that is true, then I'm with you 100%. Show me research that shows % of wins and how it goes up by a descernable amount the higher the draft pick.

So what should we continue? The 6 win, double digit loss seasons? The horrible clock management? The game plan that puts your best offensive player on the sideline and has a mediocre at best QB throw 30+ times a game? The lack of passion when we seem to get screwed by a call? The defense that has improved but can never make a 4th quarter stop when needed? The offense that you know will turn the ball over or screw up a potential game tying or winning drive? The lack of vision that had us switch to a 3-4 and draft accordingly, only to scrap it, rendering some of our previous picks useless? Knowing you have a mediocre QB and drafting one 7th rounder in three drafts?

Yes. Continuity is the answer.

Apparently you dont believe that teams can get better or worse year after year, WITH THE SAME COACH!

Take Andy Reid for one, a winner in many ways, but what happened this year? His team sucks, it happens, things go well, and then things can go terribly wrong. The NFL is fluid, and things can change at the drop of the hat. Regardless of what you think, it will always be that way. The Bills may just be a 15th overall pick in the 1st round away from an AFC championship, or a 3rd pick bust away from 10 more years of pain again. So go ahead and root for your team to lose. Losers mentaily folks can unite. I'll continue to root for my team to win! EVERY TIME!

Scouting is more important than draft position in my opinion. Too much is made of where you draft, if you draft well you can find a player of need or BPA in any slot. In 2011 we picked 3rd and got MD, who I love but the Texans drafted JJ Watt at 11. Who would you rather have?

Drafting top 5 is great if you know how to draft just as drafting 11th is great if you know how to draft.

Scouting is more important than draft position in my opinion. Too much is made of where you draft, if you draft well you can find a player of need or BPA in any slot. In 2011 we picked 3rd and got MD, who I love but the Texans drafted JJ Watt at 11. Who would you rather have?

Drafting top 5 is great if you know how to draft just as drafting 11th is great if you know how to draft.

:thumbsup:

Apparently you dont believe that teams can get better or worse year after year, WITH THE SAME COACH!

Take Andy Reid for one, a winner in many ways, but what happened this year? His team sucks, it happens, things go well, and then things can go terribly wrong. The NFL is fluid, and things can change at the drop of the hat. Regardless of what you think, it will always be that way. The Bills may just be a 15th overall pick in the 1st round away from an AFC championship, or a 3rd pick bust away from 10 more years of pain again. So go ahead and root for your team to lose. Losers mentaily folks can unite. I'll continue to root for my team to win! EVERY TIME!

You are correct. I do not believe the Bills can get better with the same coach we have right now. Which is why I want change.

As for Andy Reid? I've watched Andy Reid for some time, son, and believe me: Chan Gailey is no Andy Reid.

You are correct. I do not believe the Bills can get better with the same coach we have right now. Which is why I want change.

As for Andy Reid? I've watched Andy Reid for some time, son, and believe me: Chan Gailey is no Andy Reid.

I didn't say that Chan Gailey = Andy Reid, what I did say is that coaches come from obscurity and do well and some come from prominant backgrounds and fail. ALL coaches were obscure or had ample growing pains (Bill Belicheat in Cleveland). Then out of no where they can be good, because their scheme has been bought into, they have the talent together, and they are putting it all together. The ball can move under Chan, and now that the D has their act together, perhaps we can win more often than not next year. Unfortunetly that's where we are, next year is what we're looking at. I'm saying, tearing it all down and starting new will not solve anything.

Go ahead and point toward some of the RECENT success from coaches starting in their first year. Then look at the entire history of the NFL and I'll bet you see that more often than not, first and second year coaches have growing pains rather than making the playoffs. There is a lot to be said about continuity.

ham please don't edit my posts......i didn't say think the qb and coach must go. I meant i am 1000% sure coach and qb should go.

you keep shining up that dirt with gailey and #14, while i prefer to leave the dirt on them. they have failed hard and should be replaced IMO.

you have your take i have mine, these things are allowed in the states...........don't assume you are correct..........you know what they say about people who assume right.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

ham please don't edit my posts......i didn't say think the qb and coach must go. I meant i am 1000% sure coach and qb should go.

you keep shining up that dirt with gailey and #14, while i prefer to leave the dirt on them. they have failed hard and should be replaced IMO.

you have your take i have mine, these things are allowed in the states...........don't assume you are correct..........you know what they say about people who assume right.

i am a fan who knows the coaching and qb must go. you keep wading in sub mediocrity with these inept scrubs. I will go with the better draft pick that can help to turn things around :thumbsup: ya seeee thats what this "bad fan" would like to see.

Well, why didnt you say that then. The way you said it originoally made it sound like you were speaking on behalf of all Bills fans everywhere. Could be a problem of semantics, but that's how I took it, so I corrected it.

Go Bills!!!

I'm sure that's what the Colts fans were saying last year when they were lining up Andrew Luck.