Is It Time To Call It A Career ? Chris Kelsay

T master

For the past 3 + years there has been more complaining about a guy on our team that has done nothing but show up to work & be the consummate team player & a leader his entire career . This week he was put on IR , could this be the perfect opportunity for the Bills to make a lot of you fans happy by ending his Bills career ?

I am talking about Chris Kelsay .

With the play of A. Moats at DE position recently getting pressure, the fact that Anderson coming back & having a multi year contract, Merriman being healthy & contributing, plus the fact that Alex Carrington although playing DT position was drafted as a 4/3 DE , & that IF Troup comes back healthy Carrington could play the DE position in a depth role or starter if needed .

What it is i am asking is would you bring Kelsay back for an 11th year, or do you think the Bills will bring Merriman back (which is the younger of the 2) let Kelsay go ?

Or do you think we will move on & bring in some younger talent to replace Kelsay & Merriman both with younger guys ?

Buddy is building through the draft . And although Kelsay has had an effect with his leadership this year & his play . He has a couple of sacks & adds pressure while on the field but is it time to call it a career ?

If Kelsay's contract numbers are manageble for next season (his final year), why would you consider letting him go? He's a three down lineman... hard to come by. He's a good rotational player as well. There is no player on the Bills that has proven as versatile... either end, on running plays or pass plays. He still brings it on every play. Kelsay is not the problem... by any strtch of the imagination. The linebackers and DC are what sucks hind tit.

Has he been a worldbeater? No.

But the dude's done everything that's been asked of him.

I wouldn't lay it all on him that the scheme hasn't fit the personnel for so long. Literally, as BillinNYC points out, with DEs covering WRs.

That the D seems to be coming together provides some hope. Then again, I don't trust them to not give up 300 rushing yards to the Jets in the last game... because no one does one step forward three steps back like the Buffalo Bills!!!

Anyway... this is not the '90s and Kelsay is not Chris Speilman. Once you have this serious a problem and you're not in a relatively protected-class position like Peyton Manning, you're talking about 'quality of the rest of your life' issues. Brain, neck, spinal cord injuries are nothing to just take the old grind-it-out-because-I'm-gonna-show-them! attitude. Not with what we know now, and not with what we don't know yet. CK has made plenty of coin playing a game. As much as I've been frustrated by him, maybe expected more of him than was reasonable, I'd shake his hand and say it's been a good run but it's time to give more consideration to the long-term.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/9/30/1722305/chris-kelsay-contract-details-lb-gets-10-raise

Only the Bills would pay $5M per year for an old washed up role, character player who has average/below avg. talent. Great extension Buddy. But that is what Bills FO does, sign average coaches/players to big money when everyone else in the NFL knows there not worth a hoot.

Cut him and spend elswhere next year, like LB for crying out loud.