I truly feel horrible for Ryan Fitzpatrick.

FireChan

No he's not...Smith is taller, better arm, better scrambler, more talented overall than Fitz by a good bit...He's a former #1 overall pick...

I'm not advocating going out and getting Smith either...But lets not make ridiculous statements here...Smith would most definitely be an upgrade to Fitz... B-)

He just got benched for Kaepernick....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear of an instant where a notoriously inaccurate QB became consistently accurate.

What is the point of practicing then? So you don't think practice is a tool to help accuracy within any sport? How does anybody improve accuracy at what ever sport they do? Improving accuracy does happen in all facets of all sports and you would be really dumb to think it doesn't. Do you think athletes are just born with it and there is no such thing as improving accuracy? I don't think so! C'mon please tell me you are smarter than that!

Edited by FreakPop

21-32 208 yards 65% completion rate no INTs 84 yards rushing.

He was called for a penalty in the endzone to give the Rams a safety and there was an errant pitch that led to a TD. He's not perfect, but he's young and I'd take his athleticism and potential over Fitzpatrick any day of the week.

Edited by Pondslider

What is the point of practicing then? So you don't think practice is a tool to help accuracy within any sport? How does anybody improve accuracy at what ever sport they do? Improving accuracy does happen in all facets of all sports and you would be really dumb to think it doesn't. Do you think athletes are just born with it and there is no such thing as improving accuracy? I don't think so! C'mon please tell me you are smarter than that!

Then I suppose you'd be able to point out several NFL QBs who have greatly improved their accuracy with practice. I simply asked who that may be. I said nothing about practice being a tool to help with accuracy. Answer the question, please. I am curious.

You do know the difference between a simple question and whatever it is you think I said, right? C'mon, please tell me you are smarter than that!

Edited by Marauder24

Consider the first thousand passes Fitzpatrick threw; whether those passes were in practice, high school games, or just someone's backyard. Odds are that by his thousandth pass, he'd become a much more accurate thrower than he'd been early on. Probably after pass number 2000, he was more accurate than he'd been after pass number 1000. But as he keeps throwing, the gains in accuracy for each additional 1000 passes he throws will decrease.

Ryan Fitzpatrick played quarterback in high school. And in college. And for 7.5 seasons in the NFL. That's about 16 years' worth of practice at throwing the football. If you figure he averages about 25 passes a day (after averaging in days off), that's about 150,000 passes he's thrown over the course of his life. Possibly many more than that. Any gains in accuracy he could achieve by practicing, he's probably already achieved.

The argument has been made that he's been practicing with bad mechanics; and that a few thousand or a few ten thousands of passes with good mechanics might help him become more accurate. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. There's the hope that with an additional off season working on good mechanics, it might. It would be great if it did. But the Bills shouldn't base their draft strategy around that rather slim hope.

i'll go you one further...i feel bad for all of em. these guys all work hard. fitz, chan, buddy nix...all the rest of them. these players are team guys and i know they really want to give us a winner. i find them all very "likeable" an really would be proud if they could somehow succeed here. they are exactly the kind of men i like to see representing the Bills.

but man o man is that not happening.

couldn't agree more

Consider the first thousand passes Fitzpatrick threw; whether those passes were in practice, high school games, or just someone's backyard. Odds are that by his thousandth pass, he'd become a much more accurate thrower than he'd been early on. Probably after pass number 2000, he was more accurate than he'd been after pass number 1000. But as he keeps throwing, the gains in accuracy for each additional 1000 passes he throws will decrease.

Ryan Fitzpatrick played quarterback in high school. And in college. And for 7.5 seasons in the NFL. That's about 16 years' worth of practice at throwing the football. If you figure he averages about 25 passes a day (after averaging in days off), that's about 150,000 passes he's thrown over the course of his life. Possibly many more than that. Any gains in accuracy he could achieve by practicing, he's probably already achieved.

The argument has been made that he's been practicing with bad mechanics; and that a few thousand or a few ten thousands of passes with good mechanics might help him become more accurate. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. There's the hope that with an additional off season working on good mechanics, it might. It would be great if it did. But the Bills shouldn't base their draft strategy around that rather slim hope.

This.

He just got benched for Kaepernick....

Kaepernick just lost a game on a bumbling play an inexperienced QB would make

There's a bit of a difference between being benched and having an injury and your HC deciding to stay with the hot hand don't you think.

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me a bit If relations between Harbaugh and Smith have been a little rocky ever since Harbaugh made a play for Peyton after his signal caller just took them deep into the playoffs.

Alex Smith probably wants the hell out if Dodge yesterday, and the Bills should be taking advantage of the situation.

Kaepernick just lost a game on a bumbling play an inexperienced QB would make

There's a bit of a difference between being benched and having an injury and your HC deciding to stay with the hot hand don't you think.

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me a bit If relations between Harbaugh and Smith have been a little rocky ever since Harbaugh made a play for Peyton after his signal caller just took them deep into the playoffs.

Alex Smith probably wants the hell out if Dodge yesterday, and the Bills should be taking advantage of the situation.

Alex Smith just seems like a waste of time, he's too little of an upgrade too late. He's more of a rehash than an upgrade.

The Bills would be getting Alex Smith in the Prime of his career in my opinion.

2012 season stats, 1,731 yards 70% completion rating 13 touchdowns 5 INT 4 fumbles

Looks like more of the same, an average QB with a great defense and a great ground game. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 all over again. Look at Mark now.

And if you're going to bring up his QB rating this year, which is 104, keep in mind it's inflated by the Rams game when he got hurt after going 7-8 and a TD. And the awful Bill's game.

Edited by FireChan

2012 season stats, 1,731 yards 70% completion rating 13 touchdowns 5 INT 4 fumbles

Looks like more of the same, an average QB with a great defense and a great ground game. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 all over again. Look at Mark now.

And if you're going to bring up his QBR this year, which is 104, keep in mind it's inflated by the Rams game when he got hurt after going 7-8 and a TD. And the awful Bill's game.

Lets be clear what QBR is...its not the traditional quarterback rating...its a completely different stat and it does not go to 104. Manning going into yesterday led the league with a QBR of 81 and some change. People keep seeing the stat QBR and think it is the abbreviation of Quarterback Rating, but its not. Its a new stat developed by ESPN that is substantially better than the old rating system. The old rating system you are referring to is just called the QB Rating...not QBR even though both are stats to measure a QB. Its similar to what ESPN did with the PER they created for the NBA and is now the most accurate way to determine how effective a player truly is. For whatever reason they called it QBR which confuses people as it looks like an abbreviation of the old stat, but its not.

Edited by Alphadawg7