Why Fred and not CJ?

Bronc24

Why do we always have to pit two players against each other and decide which one we like and then throw the other one under the bus in any way possible? Oy....Bills fans on here!

If you look at my original post, I am not pitting one player vs. another, but questioned why we do not have our best playmaker on the field for the entire final drive. I think Freddie is still a good back, but he does not have the open field elusiveness ofr speed of Spiller. That's what I wanted to see in the final drive.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at my original post, I am not pitting one player vs. another, but questioned why we do not have our best playmaker on the field for the entire final drive. I think Freddie is still a good back, but he does not have the open field elusiveness ofr speed of Spiller. That's what I wanted to see in the final drive.

It's cool, it wasn't for you directly or specifically.

In a normal game, you have about 40 running plays. So if they each get 15 to 20 carries, we will win many games. But Fred needs the carries to be effective. So he may get a few more. I don't think it matter very much as long as both of them are getting enough touches. Fred is a good weapon too, so I don't agree with keeping him on the bench.

NO single play lost this game. The coaching lost the game as usual.

No way did coaching lose this game. No friggin way... Not today.

The majority of NFL games are decided by a touchdown or less. Thus the majority of games come down to one play. Typically in an NFL game, there are 6-7 plays which are pivotal to the outcome whether it be a dropped interception, a bad officiating call, or what have you.

I agree that coaching did not decide this particular game.

Gailey doesn't know to put the ball in the hands of his best players..CJ and Chandler were a non-factor on the final drive, because Gailey did not put them in the play.

In fairness, Chandler was thrown to in the end zone before the final interception.

I think the only reason that Chan is starting FJ and giving him so many carries is that he's afraid of losing the locker room because Fred has been such a valuable leader and team player. It's going to be tough to transition to CJ without dividing the team...just my 2 cents.

I agree with most of your posts but I disagree with this. Freddy IMO is the ultimate team player and there's been zero evidence of tension or division amongst the team when asked about the time share. I agree that Spiller needs to get the ball 2-3 times more each game at Freddy's expense. They need to tweak the touches a bit if you ask me.

Spiller has 87 carries and 28 receptions for 115 touches in 9 games, an average of 12.78 touches per game.

Freddy has 75 carries and 26 receptions for 101 touches in 7 games, an average of 14.43 touches per game.

A good start would be to give CJ 15-17 touches and Freddy 10-12 touches.

So I guess you think he's going to average more than 7.3 yards per carry on Thursday then?

I'll go on record and say the more carries he gets the less effective he'll be. I'm not saying he'll be bad, but he won't average 7.3 yards per carry if he gets over 20 carries.

Yes. Whether you want to describe it as "the law of diminishing returns" or a "regression to the mean," typically the more a running back carries, the fewer yards per carry he gets. The amazing thing about OJ's 1973 season was that he averaged 6 yards per carry over 332 carries.

Fred 4 fumbles 3 Lose CJ 2/2 CJ more touches so hence Fred fumbles more.

Cj fumbles 1 per every 57 touches

Fred 1 per every 25

Hmm

The sample size is too small to make any valid conclusions about who is better in ball protection. You'd be better off looking at their career numbers.

And seriously, Spiller shouldn't be getting the ball 30 times a game. That's a great way to ruin the best talent on the roster in two years.

Agreed. Spiller has already injured his shoulder this year. I think a lot of the people who want to see Spiller dominate the ball don't consider a lot of the downside.

Why do we always have to pit two players against each other and decide which one we like and then throw the other one under the bus in any way possible? Oy....Bills fans on here!

So freaking true.

It's amazing to me that people denigrate Fred Jackson.

Great player, great person. Loves being a Buffalo Bill.

But apparently you can't prop up one of our players without tearing down another.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

From what I read .. Fred will not play Thursday. It's CJ all the way!

To which I say "be careful what you wish for." IMO, this team in the long run, needs both players to win.

Freddie is time proven and has been instrumental in many of the past wins the Bill's have enjoyed, and yes CJ is becoming one of the leagues elite ball carriers. Yet even CJ can thank Freddie for being such a good mentor and teacher to CJ. The Bill's can be thankful that they have in their possession two such talented backs.

Amen.

In a normal game, you have about 40 running plays. So if they each get 15 to 20 carries, we will win many games. But Fred needs the carries to be effective. So he may get a few more. I don't think it matter very much as long as both of them are getting enough touches. Fred is a good weapon too, so I don't agree with keeping him on the bench.

I agree with most of your post but not the bolded.

At least I haven't noticed that Freddy needs more carries to get up to speed. In fact I think in today's NFL, there are fewer and fewer backs who "get stronger as the game wears on" and who "need more carries to be effective." I think that with the speed and violence of today's NFL that those are old paradigms.

I believe that a fresher, more well-rested back is more effective in today's game where there are many more situational substitutions and fresher players on both sides of the ball.