Think the "victim mentality" ain't a problem? Read this

Yet, somehow the God fearing nation the USA was/is managed to become the world leaders in scientific and technological innovation throughout its lifetime.

Take your bigotry and intolerance somewhere else, please.

We haven't been the leaders in science or technology for over a decade... but, you know, don't let facts get in your way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every once in awhile one of you George Soros disciples ventures over here for a drive-by misfire and then runs away and hides. If you had any balls you'd stick around and defend your positions instead of running away like the obvious coward you are.

I'm not a George Soros disciple; I'm a libertarian who will be voting for Gary Johnson in two weeks.

I don't post here often because:

A. I have a demanding job that requires a lot of personal attention.

B. None of you right-wingers here are even remotely interested in listening to an opposing viewpoint. Everything Obama or a liberal says or does is wrong. Everything Romney or a conservative says or does can be justified.

There is certainly some truth behind OCinBuffalo's emoticon-laden rants, but my opinion is that it is ridiculous of him to extract yet another example of victim mentality and government reliance from this current event while glossing over the blatant issue at hand: that people are getting to be too !@#$ing stupid about science. And I think the reason why he glosses over this problem is because it would make the Republican "good guys" look bad.

Who's been leading in tech the past 10 years??

But China will be #1 very soon. If it wasn't for the huge influx of foreign grad students and postdocs, America's science and engineering infrastructure would collapse. There is not enough homegrown talent. Not even close.

In my opinion, the uber-religiosity in this country has been getting in the way of growing this talent. Religious stupidity has always been a part of American culture, but we are truly beginning to see the ramifications now that the Soviet specter is gone and the desire to be #1 in science and engineering is gone. The God-fearing nutjobs in this country continue to vote in imbeciles who are damaging America's education system, undermining scientific funding, and creating a general climate of distrust/disdain toward scientists.

This goes way beyond wanting global bragging rights. Scientific and technological illiteracy limits our ability to grow the economy and tackle environmental problems.

We haven't been the leaders in science or technology for over a decade... but, you know, don't let facts get in your way.

I was speaking throughout the Country's history...I beleive I spelled that out.

Please tell me how the influence of religious fundamentalism has slowed technical innovation in the USA over the last ten years.

But China will be #1 very soon. If it wasn't for the huge influx of foreign grad students and postdocs, America's science and engineering infrastructure would collapse. There is not enough homegrown talent. Not even close.

In my opinion, the uber-religiosity in this country has been getting in the way of growing this talent. Religious stupidity has always been a part of American culture, but we are truly beginning to see the ramifications now that the Soviet specter is gone and the desire to be #1 in science and engineering is gone. The God-fearing nutjobs in this country continue to vote in imbeciles who are damaging America's education system, undermining scientific funding, and creating a general climate of distrust/disdain toward scientists.

This goes way beyond wanting global bragging rights. Scientific and technological illiteracy limits our ability to grow the economy and tackle environmental problems.

So in your mind a religious man or woman is incabable of having the intelligence needed to keep the USA at the top of the work rankings vis a vis tecnical innovation? Is that what youre saying?

And also, please provide examples of how, since the fall of the Berlin wall, US technical innovation has slowed and how that is tied to the RISE of religious fundamentalism in the USA.

Edited by RkFast

This is the must imbecilic post I have ever read.

I'm not a George Soros disciple; I'm a libertarian who will be voting for Gary Johnson in two weeks.

I don't post here often because:

A. I have a demanding job that requires a lot of personal attention.

B. None of you right-wingers here are even remotely interested in listening to an opposing viewpoint. Everything Obama or a liberal says or does is wrong. Everything Romney or a conservative says or does can be justified.

There is certainly some truth behind OCinBuffalo's emoticon-laden rants, but my opinion is that it is ridiculous of him to extract yet another example of victim mentality and government reliance from this current event while glossing over the blatant issue at hand: that people are getting to be too !@#$ing stupid about science. And I think the reason why he glosses over this problem is because it would make the Republican "good guys" look bad.

You are really off base here. Grouping religion in with conservatism was your first mistake. Stating that we don't listen to opposing viewpoints was your second mistake. Being closed minded about it was your third one.

Who's been leading in tech the past 10 years??

We've outsourced a ton of our tech capabilities to countries with cheaper labor costs. The US provides over 40% of the research funding for the world and yet are 15th in terms of broadband speed -- we're behind a bunch of countries when it comes to innovation, though to be fair that is a very fuzzy statistic because you can manipulate the heck out of it to get what you want.

Finland, Japan, South Korea and India have spent the better part of the past decade re-organizing their national innovation strategies to better position themselves in the 21st century. We need to be doing the same thing here -- but we're not.

(this isn't a pro-Obama thing either, we haven't seriously addressed our national strategy in well over 2 decades which is why we're paying the price today).

Please tell me how the influence of religious fundamentalism has slowed technical innovation in the USA over the last ten years.

Religious fundamentalism by its very nature is anti-science because it is an absolute.

Dude..

.<facepalm>

</facepalm>

:lol: Really. You think our tech sectors are in trouble?

How about I create some fake resumes for you, and post them on Monster? I will buy you a throw away cell phone, and make a fake Gmail and use them for your contact info. I'll make you a below-average programmer, an average electrical engineer, and an above average pre-sales engineer. Hell, I'll even make you into an industry-standard, nerdy but hot, training chick. :lol:

You will truly "enjoy" the rest of your day. The O/U on you smashing that phone: 45 minutes, and that's only because it takes ~15 mins for the resumes to fully propagate. :lol:

Why is foreign talent coming here? So our government run schools are causing the science and engineering infrastructure to collapse but foreign talent is coming here becuase of the private sector free market system. Hmmm very intersting.

We've outsourced a ton of our tech capabilities to countries with cheaper labor costs. The US provides over 40% of the research funding for the world and yet are 15th in terms of broadband speed -- we're behind a bunch of countries when it comes to innovation, though to be fair that is a very fuzzy statistic because you can manipulate the heck out of it to get what you want.

Finland, Japan, South Korea and India have spent the better part of the past decade re-organizing their national innovation strategies to better position themselves in the 21st century. We need to be doing the same thing here -- but we're not.

(this isn't a pro-Obama thing either, we haven't seriously addressed our national strategy in well over 2 decades which is why we're paying the price today).

So the US has been leading in tech the past 10 years. The countries you mentioned are trying to catch up.

So the US has been leading in tech the past 10 years. The countries you mentioned are trying to catch up.

10 years ago, yes. Now, some have caught up. You could even argue some are ahead now because they've devoted their time and resources to positioning themselves better than we have. Of course, it's easier for them to do so because they have (for the most part) less people and less global responsibilities to attend to.

China currently produces over 95% of the world's rare-earth metals used to manufacture high-tech chips and processors. 20 years ago they produced less than 50%. This is something that isn't talked about much but is quite alarming and fits a growing trend. We currently outsource a large portion of our high tech manufacturing jobs and industries to other countries, improving their labor force while weakening our own position. Another decade of a slide like that and we'll have a completely untrained labor force when it comes to high tech manufacturing. This will be devastating for our national economy.

There are ripple effects to all of this, none more important than the diminishing rate of return on our own people.

I wont even argue that point.

But how has it affected the US' stature in the technology and science sector?

I'm not making the point that MM is. I don't have a problem with religion -- organized or otherwise -- in people's personal lives. I have a big problem with science religion (hahaha) intruding on the legislative process, which is why I no longer identify with the republican party.

Edited by tgreg99

10 years ago, yes. Now, some have caught up. You could even argue some are ahead now because they've devoted their time and resources to positioning themselves better than we have. Of course, it's easier for them to do so because they have (for the most part) less people and less global responsibilities to attend to.

China currently produces over 95% of the world's rare-earth metals used to manufacture high-tech chips and processors. 20 years ago they produced less than 50%. This is something that isn't talked about much but is quite alarming and fits a growing trend. We currently outsource a large portion of our high tech manufacturing jobs and industries to other countries, improving their labor force while weakening our own position. Another decade of a slide like that and we'll have a completely untrained labor force when it comes to high tech manufacturing. This will be devastating for our national economy.

There are ripple effects to all of this, none more important than the diminishing rate of return on our own people.

I'm not making the point that MM is. I don't have a problem with religion -- organized or otherwise -- in people's personal lives. I have a big problem with science religion (hahaha) intruding on the legislative process, which is why I no longer identify with the republican party.

Manufacturing chips is not leading in tech. The US is light years ahead in innovation the true leading indicator in tech.

You must be a great admirer of the Tea Party then.

Manufacturing chips is not leading in tech. The US is light years ahead in innovation the true leading indicator in tech.

Now.

But without a trained labor force nor the raw materials to make good on any of those innovations. Not without outsourcing much of the production and manufacturing to other nations. Fast forward another decade, and the problem is exacerbated even more.

Whoever develops and refines "new" energy will be the controlling economic power for the next century. Right now, we are in a worse position strategically to do that than ever before.