Where the Bills go from here

sjjr

The Bills have had 4 awful losses and really are pretty lucky to be 3-4, considering how badly they've played. Fitz can't throw the ball down the field. Mario has played 1 good game in 7. The defense made Mark Sanchez, Brandon Bolden, Alex Smith and Matt Hasselbeck look like probowlers. They made Chris Johnson look like his 2010 self. Game management has been questionable at best. The unwillingness to come out of the base defenses and make adjustments is frustrating to say the least. It's bad...

But the reality is that 21 of 32 teams today in the NFL have a 500 record or worse. Most of those teams fan bases are saying there team has no chance at the playoffs. Of the winning teams, the Ravens lost Ray Lewis and got blown out yesterday. The Cards are on a 3 game losing streak, including a loss to the Bills. The Pats don't look good.

What's clear is that the Bills are bad but so is the rest of the most of the NFL right now. The AFC East is as open as it ever has been. This may be the weakest Pats team in over a decade.

The problem is not any scheme, its effort. To play Wannestedt's scheme, he's got to have 4 monsters on the D-Line. At best he's had 1-2 most games. They have got to those players to play every down of every game. The depth on the D-line must play well also.

This team is built to run the ball and play defense. That doesn't include Fitz throwing for 300 yds too often. The problem is the defense and it needs to be fixed now during the bye week. It starts with Mario Williams.

If Gailey and Wannestedt can figure it out, they might make a run for this division yet. If they can't, we have to go rebuild.....and there are no franchise QBs coming out this year worth a top pick. Have to wait for Driskel or Bridgewater. I hope they get it together during the bye week and get these guys to play.

If Gailey and Wannestedt can figure it out, they might make a run for this division yet. If they can't, we have to go rebuild.....and there are no franchise QBs coming out this year worth a top pick. Have to wait for Driskel or Bridgewater. I hope they get it together during the bye week and get these guys to play.

I admire the optimism and wish I could share in it. But that "if" is a huge if. I have seen nothing from Gailey or Wanny to believe they are capable of understanding the skills of this team, how to leverage it and how to motivate it. I believe this is a playoff caliber team this year, unfortunately it is being squandered with incompetent and stubborn coaching.

Where do they go from here? About another 6 or 7 win season and NO PLAYOFFS. Don't worry, everyone will be excited after off- season coaching changes and the draft, only to have the same losing results in 2013.

I hate being THAT guy, but I kind of hope we lose out so we can draft some stud QB, and hopefully we also get a decent DC.

Don't hate it. Embrace it.

There are a lot more of you out there than you think. It doesn't make you less of a fan.

I subscribe to this wholeheartedly.

Don't hate it. Embrace it.

There are a lot more of you out there than you think. It doesn't make you less of a fan.

I subscribe to this wholeheartedly.

I'd be fine with Fitz, though, if we had a competent defense. It's clear he can manage a game when we run a balanced offense, but he certainly can't win us a game in a shootout. So if our defense didn't give up a score every drive (or just about every drive), then I think Fitz is ok for now.

The thing is, I don't trust that to happen, so we might as well try finding our grade A super QB. But knowing our draft history, no matter who we pick will end up being a bust...

i agree with the op that if they can come together, buy into the system and play as a team, then the season is still very much alive. the boys in blue really need to use the bye week to take a step back and look at themselves and find out what they are truly made of. here's to hoping...

If your monsters aren't doing anything, and this highly-paid group clearly isn't, then it's time to bring in more monsters with a blitz once in a Blue Moon. You just don't do the same thing and hope results.

With all due respect, it is the scheme. This team was bewildered by the no-huddle the first two drives for crying out loud. There were gaps larger than the Red Sea for Johnson to stroll through. No pressure on the killer last drive. That is coaching.