Buffalo's 7 Keys to Winning Games

Got_Wood

Every team has strengths and weaknesses. Each team needs to learn how to use their strengths to take advantage of their opponent, and limit their weaknesses so they are not exposed. Here are the keys to the Bills winning games this season:

1. A healthy offensive line. This is something we can't control, but when Glenn and Urbik are healthy this is one of the better O-line groups in the league. Looking forward to seeing them play together again soon.

2. Feed the ball to Spiller and Freddy. Spiller was one of the most electric college football players to ever take the field. He was a top 10 draft pick, and likely the fastest AND quickest guy on the field. Freddy can shed tackles, he can block, and he was leading the league in rushing last season until he got hurt. Ideally CJ touches the ball around 20 times a game, and Freddy touches the ball at least 10 times a game.

3. This might sound crazy, but... sign Chad Johnson and Jeremy Shockey. Buddy looked at signing free agent talent at WR this past offseason, and we ended up missing out on Robert Meachem. We then decided to draft a young guy in TJ Graham, who clearly has some talent but is still raw. We lost a reliable David Nelson to a torn ACL, and we haven't done anything to improve our receiving talent. Scott Chandler has been very reliable for us, but there is no depth behind him. Lee Smith is a special teamer at best. What's one thing this team is sorely lacking? Attitude. Bring on Shockey and Ocho, and light a fire under these timid little pushovers. These guys will bring swagger and talent to a team that desperately needs it. And why not? does this team have anything to lose? No, they don't.

4. Limit Fitzpatrick to under 25 throws per game. It's no secret that Fitz is no Drew Brees. He doesn't need to be throwing 30 plus times per game. He doesn't have the arm, and we don't have the explosive receiving core that merits a high octane passing attack. Let's get realistic and limit Fitz's mistakes, and just let him manage the game.

5. Move Aaron Williams to Safety next to Byrd. Williams is an athlete, he's a good open field tackler, and he's got great size. He has trouble playing man defense at corner, but his skills are well suited for safety. Wilson is a great leader, but his skills are lacking and it's been pretty obvious this season. He can go back to being our special teams captain, and lead that group. And we've got Justin Rogers, Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, and a returning young Ron Brooks to man the corner position. If I see one more TE seam route up the middle between our safeties, I'm going to throwup. We've got some talented DB's out there, and it's time they were put in a position to succeed.

6. Starting linebacker group: Nick Barnett, Nigel Bradham, and Kelvin Sheppard. Barnett is just a great player and he continues to stand out despite this defense being a dissappointment this season. Bradham has shown that he can play with the big boys, and I'm excited to see more. And we have to see what we have in Sheppard, or else we may be looking at ringing in new talent here next season.

7. Defensive End group: Starters - Mario Williams & Kyle Moore, Rotational guys - Merriman, Kelsay, and Moats. This group is solid, even without Mark Anderson out there. Kyle Moore has a ton of potential if we give him more time out there, Merriman is tenacious and a good leader, Moats has proven he can rush the passer, and Kelsay is a solid run defender.

Some obvious points, and some not so obvious. But I would be more excited to watch the Bills if they made moves like this.

Edited by Got_Wood

Yeah, I think 3 is a bit of a stretch. I think we might be able to snatch someone in free agency this upcoming offseason. http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2012/contract_year_players.cfm?player_pos=WR. The better names are probably going to get re-signed, but who knows?

I fully agree with you on moving the secondary around. That could be really beneficial. The other points look good as well.

I'm with you on everything but point number 3. Chad is finished not I'm not sure how much Shockey has left. In the context of the this season though the rest of your points are dead nuts.

I know, I know. My argument is that an NFL team should be a combination of a long term plan for your offensive and defensive strategy and personnel, and then an ongoing assessment of how your team is doing right now and adjusting the roster when necessary to add/remove players based on need. It seems that they have the offensive and defensive system and coaches they want (whether fans agree with it or not), but we are lacking in a couple different personnel areas.

Chad Johnson and Jeremy Shockey have at least one year left in them. That's all we need. We can fill in the gaps with younger guys next season in the draft and free agency. But we have a need at these positions now, and there are guys available to fill them.

One thing the Bills front office doesn't seem to understand is marketing. They just assume fans should be loyal and come to games just because they exist. Unfortunately that's not how it works. You have to do something to put fans' butts in seats. Losing for over a decade doesn't accomplish that. Act like you care Buddy and Russ. There is no time for arrogance, and there is no time to "wait and see" how late draft picks and undrafted players turn out. This team doesn't have that luxury. The Packers, Patriots, Saints, and Giants have that luxury because they consistantly win.

I think the front office needs to wake up and realize that without the fans, without a winning team, this team may not even be in Buffalo by 2014.