Jason Peters Waived

dschewe

he wasn't drafted. He was signed as an undrafted rookie free agent. I think he was cut now in the rash of nfl cuts so he'll slip by the radar of other teams and be signed to the bills practice squad where he'll gain some valuable experience. Peters is a project. Talented, but dumb as rocks. Once he gets the mental aspect down. I think he'll be a force in this league, but none the less he's a project.

Dumber than a bag of hammers. Remember a RB named Anthony Gray a few years back ? Tore it up early in pre-season. Then was cut before opening day. He couldn't remember the plays.

There is an 8 man practice squad to be picked next week. Who knows ? Maybe they can give him a Playbook in Phonix form. Give him a year to figure out the pictures. :unsure:

I think he was cut now in the rash of nfl cuts so he'll slip by the radar of other teams and be signed to the bills practice squad where he'll gain some valuable experience.

Trust me, guys don't slip under the radar if they're worth anything. Every NFL team has their scouts and coaches scouring the waiver wires to see who's been cut and if anyone is worth picking up.

Dumber than a bag of hammers. Remember a RB named Anthony Gray a few years back ? Tore it up early in pre-season. Then was cut before opening day. He couldn't remember the plays.

There is an 8 man practice squad to be picked next week. Who knows ? Maybe they can give him a Playbook in Phonix form. Give him a year to figure out the pictures.  :unsure:

14114[/snapback]

Dumb? That was his problem? Too bad....a guy that size at TE would've been nice to have. Maybe the phonics will help him and he'll return to the PS.... :D

Trust me, guys don't slip under the radar if they're worth anything.  Every NFL team has their scouts and coaches scouring the waiver wires to see who's been cut and if anyone is worth picking up.

14138[/snapback]

Perhaps, but the strategy is that each of the 32 teams was scrambling yesterday just to get down to the 65 number. They know all about Jason Peters but they also know that he is not ready to play yet, not even close. Are they going to cut an extra guy now that they are not sure of, just to try out Jason Peters for one week knowing full well they are not likely to be able to keep him on their active 53 man roster? Probably not. They wouldn't have enough time, one week, to evaluate him and his progress while they scramble to get ready for week one of the season.

The Bills MAY think he was a washout and showed nothing. I think that they did this now so they could get him on the 8 man practice squad after he clears waivers today. My only question is can you already start adding players to the practice squad right now after they become free agents and before the last cut.

My only question is can you already start adding players to the practice squad right now after they become free agents and before the last cut.

14283[/snapback]

I don't think you can add players to a practice squad until some point(hours or maybe a full day??) after the 53 man rosters have been submitted to the NFL.

Kelly,

Courtesy of ffmastermind

September 5: Roster cut-down to maximum of 53 players on Active/Inactive List by 4 p.m., New York time. Clubs may dress minimum of 42 and maximum of 45 players and Third Quarterback for each regular season and post-season game.

September 5: NFL Europe League exemptions expire

September 5: Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must take one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; ask waivers; terminate; trade; or continue to count him on Active List.

September 6: Claims on players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon, New York time.

September 6: After 12 noon, New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of five players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than two seasons.

September 7: All clubs are required to file a personnel (injury) report with their conference Director of Information by 1 p.m., New York time, on this Tuesday and thereafter on each Wednesday before a regular-season game. Such report is to be updated by 1 p.m., New York time, each Thursday. An update must also be reported if there is any change in a player's condition after Thursday.

September 8: Beginning at 4 p.m., New York time, Team Salary includes all players receiving compensation under their 2003 contracts. Top 51 rule is no longer in effect.

September 9: After 4 p.m., New York time, any new or altered incentives renegotiated in a pre-existing contract for the 2004 season automatically will be deemed “likely to be Earned” for 2004.

September 9-13: Regular Season opens

Trust me, guys don't slip under the radar if they're worth anything.  Every NFL team has their scouts and coaches scouring the waiver wires to see who's been cut and if anyone is worth picking up.

14138[/snapback]

I think many people use this phrase not say that he will go unnoticed (there are some teams which still do not have enough scouts or competent scouts but most do and are well aware of Peters and other potential talents) but what this phrase really refers to is in essence a poker-like bluff that the Bills had made a judgement that there is something inherent in the Peters package which did not even make him close to being a keeper at TE.

If the Bills had kept him until the final cuts it would be testimony that they thought there was potentially the final pre-season performances which might merit his making the roster, but letting him go at this point sends a signal to other teams that he is a true project and if they allocate a spot for him they do so with the knowledge there will probably be no payoff this year.

Other teams have to consider maybe the Bills are faking and he may develop sooner, but it adds another piece of intelligence they have to gather to truly assess where he is and the plates of other teams are so full amidst the many cuts that happened yesterday that it isn't so much that other teams don't know anything about Peters but that cutting him early raises the level of what other teams better find out before they allocate a slot to him. I think the info of why the Bills felt comfortable letting him go so quick remains a mystery to most teams that can constitute being under the radar.

September 6: After 12 noon, New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of five players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than two seasons.

14342[/snapback]

They obviously have not updated site after increase of practice squad size.

I don't think you can add players to a practice squad until some point(hours or maybe a full day??) after the 53 man rosters have been submitted to the NFL.

14326[/snapback]

That's likely true, and from the other site you provided, even though it is last year's rules, it would make sense that teams make the practice squad after the final roster. It still holds though, that teams arent likely to try Jason Peters out now for one week and then cut him. What they may do is sign him to their practice squad over the Bills, as it will solely be up to him and his agent, if multiple teams woo him for their PS. If the Bills liked what they saw, and they told him they want him for their 8 man PS, looking toward the future, and he liked the direction the team was going, we would seem to have a large hand up on the other teams. I still think, when all is said and done, that Jason Peters is on our PS in September.