How to handle the bye weeks?

Buftex

Okay, I have a team that is thin in depth...and this week I have 5 guys who I would always start (Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart, Marques Colston, Jimmy Graham, Garrett Heartly), all off because of the bye week. I need to pick up a kicker (I have only one on my roster), but am in a bit of a quandry about the others. I don't think I can significantly improve my roster through the waiver wire...do I just stand pat, and keep my fingers crossed that all my backup guys come through, this one week..or do I try to make a bunch of moves to win one game? I play in a 12 team leauge, where most of the folks are pretty shrewd....and some of the others just don't make any trades, no matter how much sense they might make for them.

Well, I just mean that I could try to make a bunch of wavier moves for guys that I think might have favorable match ups this week, but in reality, might not be better than the back-ups I already have. Or, I could try to pull off a trade of some sort... Also, just in general, when you are drafting your team, how much do you worry about bye-weeks?

Just play your back-ups, that's what they're for.

Sounds like you are in a good position in that after this week the byes won't affect you as much so if you lose one week because of a completely depleted team it is a small price to pay to have the majority of your starters active the rest of the way.

Well, I just mean that I could try to make a bunch of wavier moves for guys that I think might have favorable match ups this week, but in reality, might not be better than the back-ups I already have. Or, I could try to pull off a trade of some sort... Also, just in general, when you are drafting your team, how much do you worry about bye-weeks?

I generally pay almost no attention to the byes when drafting. Had Megatron, Miles Austin & Denarius Moore out last week; have Jamaal Charles & Reggie Bush out week 7. I'm not saying that's optimal but I don't think it costs me much. There is an insane amount of luck that goes into one week of FF - do your opponent's players get in the endzone or tackled at the 1 (this usually matters more than you having to play Mark Ingram instead of Jonathan Stewart). Plus I have the advantage w/ byes in every other week but those two.

Edited by BuffOrange

I approach the draft without paying attention to bye weeks and actually prefer to have one bad week of a lot of byes (while relying on depth) and others with no byes. I look at it like this - I'll take one "bad week" over a bunch of mediocre ones (different byes, sitting a player each week).

As for the original question I think I answered it but I wouldn't make major roster moves. If there are quality pick ups to be made then by all means but don't sacrifice your team structure for one week.

Thanks guys...I only cut Garrett Hartley for Jason Hanson, cuz I only had 1 kicker...Hartley wasn't really lighting it up anyways, so I may just stick with Hanson.

Also, picked up the Dolphins defense (puke- I know) in anticipation of the Texans bye-week (my only Defense)...also picked up James Starks, on a gamble that he will pay off down the road...but my lineup this week is pretty much the way it would have been without any moves. Got 11 points out of Chris Johnson last night! Not stellar, but about twice what I have come to expect from my first round pick!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.