Mario Williams - Mr. Invisible - Explain it

Football's a violent sport and how a body holds up against that violence matters. Two consecutive seasons ending up on IR was another red flag. Also, some players are never the same after major injuries. Maybe this is another case of that.

Its 4 games.

and he hasnt been awful. Week 1 and 4 were not good for him, or anyone else. hes had some impact though.

give it some time before you throw him on the trash heap. who the hell knows whats going on behind the scenes right now. theres not a good excuse - when your paid that much you need to produce on sunday... but its amazing what we find out after the fact sometimes. when it comes down to it was the wrong time to have an off couple of weeks - but it could be as simple as that.

you look at guys around the league and they have bad games. right now his are coming at the worst possible time from our perspective but hopefully he plays through it quick.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys don't let the money go to their head. They have played for the kill all their life and thats all it's about now. They want attention. Has anybody seen any body get mad on our "D". No fire. Yelling thru the head set hasn't worked. We need a killer like Ray Lewis. Who is our leader?? Not Wannie. We need some leadership. Please!

Ray Lewis plead guilty to obstruction of justice, not murder. :death: Sorry, it had to be done!

The only thing more disconcerting than the inconsistency of Williams thus far is the way that it seems people have been WAITING to shift gears and pile on the dude. Be fans and support him. The last thing we need is another reason for people to speak ill of Buffalo.

FAs take awhile to fit into their new teams and systems. This is the case more often than not. I'm not saying I enjoy that aspect of what's happening, but judge Mario if he is clearly this ineffective over the course of 16 games. I was certainly hoping for instant pass rush and results but I can't say I expected it right away.

In addition, if it looked like Wannstedt were doing everything right and MW just wasn't producing, I'd buy a little more of this Mario-bashing. But so far, we've seen Wannstedt play his DBs miles away from receivers and get burned (week 1), generate pressure and stop the run against two poor teams, and get straight-up owned by New England while refusing to adjust from the nickel package. If that were all Mario's fault, I'd understand all this a little better.

Bruce Smith would not have made much of a difference if placed in the same exact situation this past week. He would have been better, but not enough to thwart this pathetic game-plan and lack of adjustments.

... Bruce Smith would not have made much of a difference if placed in the same exact situation this past week. He would have been better, but not enough to thwart this pathetic game-plan and lack of adjustments.

This is true. Over 200 of their rushing yards came between the tackles. I posted this up thread, but M Williams and M Anderson did their jobs pretty well as DEs lined up off the outside shoulder on the EMOLS (end man on the line of scrimmage). First priority is set the corner and maintain outside containment by forcing the play to the middle, between the tackles. Bruce Smith would have been tasked the same way in our 43 and would have done the same job against the run.

I DO think Bruce would have had a few QB pressures on pass plays though. He'd have let Brady know he was there at least.

GO BILLS!!!

This is true. Over 200 of their rushing yards came between the tackles. I posted this up thread, but M Williams and M Anderson did their jobs pretty well as DEs lined up off the outside shoulder on the EMOLS (end man on the line of scrimmage). First priority is set the corner and maintain outside containment by forcing the play to the middle, between the tackles. Bruce Smith would have been tasked the same way in our 43 and would have done the same job against the run.

I DO think Bruce would have had a few QB pressures on pass plays though. He'd have let Brady know he was there at least.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for explaining it like someone who knows what they're talking about ;) Well-done.

Gang, the 1 and only time Wanny blitzed Brady tossed the TD to Lloyd! So, blitzing the guy didn't work either.

When you go up against a HOF QB like Brady, more often than not, he's gonna kill you no matter how you defend him.

Teams like the Giants have proven the way to beat Brady is to apply constant pressure. The Giants won two Super Bowls doing that. Maybe Wannstadt should have been shown those games.

Teams like the Giants have proven the way to beat Brady is to apply constant pressure. The Giants won two Super Bowls doing that. Maybe Wannstadt should have been shown those games.

Yes but the Giants didn't have to blitz Brady in order to get constant pressure. They did with a 4 man front (of DE's).

Maybe Wanny did watch these tapes and figured he could do the same. Only problem is the Bills don't have a NASCAR package of DE's like what the Giants have and so couldn't pull it off.

He was never a dynamic edge rusher like a freeney, peppers or Jared Allen. Their best sack years all excess his by a lot. His value is being anall around quality player who can occupy space, rush and play the run. He is who I thought. Hes a good edition , just he and the entire defense have to learn how to play together, with new guys/new coach/new system. I have little doubt the line and secondary will improve all season. Its the linebackers that concern me