Big Mike and Willis

Indy Dave

Anyone have the game on TIVO? On the play that sealed our fate...the defensive TD by Pittsburgh in the fourth quarter, they blitzed two men on our right side. Either Mike Williams or Willis missed #21, who forced the fumble. I think #33 was picked up by both Willis and Mike, when it appeared to me one of them should have taken him and the other could have picked up #21.

Did I see this play correctly? Who missed the assignment?

Anyone have the game on TIVO? On the play that sealed our fate...the defensive TD by Pittsburgh in the fourth quarter, they blitzed two men on our right side. Either Mike Williams or Willis missed #21, who forced the fumble. I think #33 was picked up by both Willis and Mike, when it appeared to me one of them should have taken him and the other could have picked up #21.

189462[/snapback]

I haven't gone back and viewed it again but i remember in the replay they were showing, Willis looking back into the backfield from his knees like he had just missed a guy. Not too sure however.

Late

Who cares? The season is over! Read my lips! OVER !!!!! Deal with it and stop analyzing!

189462[/snapback]

The Steelers blitzed two. WM picked up the guy he was supposed to on the outside. There was nobody left to block the second guy, and he got the sack and fumble.

Nobody missed an assignment there.

CW

189462[/snapback]

As I remember it: Mike turned inside to help the guard and left Willis with a choice of two rushers. Willis correctly picked the inside rusher and left the outside guy alone - obviously Drew should have recognized and thrown "hot" but he didn't.

Once again, compensating for a less than adequate guard costs us because Drew has to make a decision. Ouchie.

As I remember it:  Mike turned inside to help the guard and left Willis with a choice of two rushers.  Willis correctly picked the inside rusher and left the outside guy alone - obviously Drew should have recognized and thrown "hot" but he didn't.

Once again, compensating for a less than adequate guard costs us because Drew has to make a decision.  Ouchie.

189494[/snapback]

Hey that was an actual football post AD....... :doh:

As I remember it:  Mike turned inside to help the guard and left Willis with a choice of two rushers.  Willis correctly picked the inside rusher and left the outside guy alone - obviously Drew should have recognized and thrown "hot" but he didn't.

Once again, compensating for a less than adequate guard costs us because Drew has to make a decision.  Ouchie.

189494[/snapback]

Or was it that the receivers didn't adjust to the blitz? I know the first sack was like that -- none of the receivers turned around to catch the ball. :doh:

CW

When there are 3 blockers and 2 people to pick them up, the lineman is usually responsible for the guy closest to the QB, or with the shortest line to the QB. THe problem was not mike williams there. It was that they did not have the right protections called for that defensive play. It was a simple matter of They Fooled Us instead of We Fooled Them. It happens in football, you know?

Or was it that the receivers didn't adjust to the blitz?  I know the first sack was like that -- none of the receivers turned around to catch the ball. :doh:

CW

189503[/snapback]

I noticed that on the first sack. That was a classic hot read where none of the receivers read the obvious blitz and adjusted their route. That's basic stuff.

That should not be happening in week 17.

189494[/snapback]

Fat PUSS Puccilo was in so Mike tried to help him out but Drew needs to see that blitz was coming from the right and how he could not see it coming just shows his time is up as a starter

When there are 3 blockers and 2 people to pick them up, the lineman is usually responsible for the guy closest to the QB, or with the shortest line to the QB. THe problem was not mike williams there. It was that they did not have the right protections called for that defensive play. It was a simple matter of They Fooled Us instead of We Fooled Them. It happens in football, you know?

189504[/snapback]

Yeah, it's just that in those situations you depend on your twelve year veteran QB to recognize it and have a "feel" for the rush. An incompletion does not get you beat there. :doh:

It really hurt that villari got injured. I think many of you are right. Williams was trying to compensate for Pucillo and it just wasn't working out. If you go back and look at the tape, you will see that on almost every other play they were blitzing on big Mike's side. It doesn't help that Drew is an ***hole and has a football IQ of 70. : :doh:

Wide blitzer had a free ride but had to go way around.  Bledsoe had plenty of time to recognize situation and dump short or toss away.  Same non-read and sack and/or fumble we've seen the last two years.

189552[/snapback]

I'm starting to think that even friggin WOLF Blitzer could get to Bledsoe before Drew actually was able to do something with the ball.

That was all Bledsoe.

He had exactly 6 seconds to get rid of it.

I counted when I saw it again on prime time.:doh:

189601[/snapback]

The guy who sacked Bledsoe wasn't blocked, and started off at or near the line of scrimmage. There is NO WAY that ANY defensive player in the NFL--not even Sam Adams--takes 6 seconds to get from the line of scrimmage to the QB. You were probably watching something in slow motion.