Clayton's Mailbag Leads with Bills fans knee-jerk

Sorry if this was already covered.

A loss tends to bring out too much criticism. A win tends to spark more optimism. Go back a year ago. After the Steelers lost 35-7 to Baltimore in the season opener, the knee-jerk reaction was that age caught up to the Steelers' defense. By season's end, the Steelers had the league's top-ranked defense.

The Bills blew it by giving $100 million to Mario Williams: The Bills' 48-28 loss to the Jets was ugly. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw four interceptions. Williams and defensive end Mark Anderson had no impact and the Bills had no pass rush. Although it's more troubling that the Bills' offense lost halfback Fred Jackson and WR David Nelson in that game, it's too early to bury the Bills and criticize them for Williams' contract. Sacks often come when a team has the lead. The Bills were on the road and getting blown out. They do need to

bounce back against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 2 to stop the panic.

I find it funny that the very next knee-jerk reaction is the Chiefs can't play D. Hopefully that's a true statement.

i think we are very much the team we expected, we just didnt count on that game happening week one. it was a game we were likely to see at some point though. we will also see some really good ones, and a lot in between.

Edited by NoSaint

Unfortunately, I really think David Nelson's injury hurts us. Donald Jones has never proven to be consistent and I don't see anything great coming out of him. David Nelson was a very big target that created a lot of mismatches. He seemed very reliable and on the same page with Fitz. In my opinion, it was clear he was our 2nd most valuable receiver. Now, the only two reliable targets Fitz has are Stevie and Chandler. Barring someone else steps up (come on TJ!), the Nelson injury will sting all year.

Unfortunately, I really think David Nelson's injury hurts us. Donald Jones has never proven to be consistent and I don't see anything great coming out of him. David Nelson was a very big target that created a lot of mismatches. He seemed very reliable and on the same page with Fitz. In my opinion, it was clear he was our 2nd most valuable receiver. Now, the only two reliable targets Fitz has are Stevie and Chandler. Barring someone else steps up (come on TJ!), the Nelson injury will sting all year.

I think we are going to see Lee more on the field along with Chandler and Fitz will be throwing to both of them.

I think we are going to see Lee more on the field along with Chandler and Fitz will be throwing to both of them.

Lee has shown to be reliable and you could be right but I still think that is a significant downgrade from Nelson. However, our run blocking with that lineup could create some monster holes. We'll see how it goes. I personally hope TJ steps up and Fitz finally proves that he can throw a somewhat reliable deep ball. It seems the coaches don't have a ton of faith in TJ though. It's almost like they think he doesn't know the playbook well enough yet or something.