Onside Kick

Coach55

Like everyone else, I am extremely frustrated from Sunday. However as bad as everyone played, the game was surprisingly still in reach until a single coaching error... the onside kick (which is really bothering me)...

The Bills trailed 41-7 and then came back to make it 41-28 in what everyone was calling mop-up time. The reality is the team had a lot of momentum and had 7 minutes on the clock. At this point, the play is to kick deep... Why - if the Bills can hold them to a 3 and out (2 min gone) or at worst a 6 and out (4 min gone), they will get the ball with time to play. The Jets would have been running a conservative offense and playing to run out the clock. Had they done and got the touchdown (assume even with only a minute on the clock). They now trail by 6 and go for the onside kick...

What's the difference you might ask? In what the Bills did, the Jets still had confidence as it truly was "mop up" time. They lead by 13, they have all the confidence in the world... no one is dropping that ball... If its a 6 point lead and the Bills have all of the momentum... now the Jets are thinking we might blow a 34 point lead and lose... As soon as you think you are going to lose... you will lose...

That is why the Bills of the 90s won (and lost SB 2-4)... the Patriots* of the 00s win and the Bills of the 00s lose... If you have doubt in your mind... you lose. If you know you are going to win... you'll win... Its a confidence game and Gailey blew the call.

I think they were desperate, They just scored and wanted the TO now (so to speak) the time on the clock was actually in favor for getting 2 TDs and a fieldgoal to win if the Jests got one too, that being said I would have had Lindel kick that as everyone knew it was coming anyway.

Anyone who thinks they should have kicked deep with 6 minutes to play down by 13 must not have watched the first 54 minutes.

"If they held them to a 3 and out"?? Yeah, that was gonna happen. The way you keep momentum when trying to come back after being dominated all game is to keep the ball in your hands.

The whole thing was preceeded by a complete lack of urgency on the scoring drive...yes, they had to go a long way, but a 6 1/2 minute drive? Really?

We get the ball in the 4th with just under 14 minutes on the clock, down 3 scores and they proceed to drive the ball down the field as if were the third quarter.

Anyone else with me on this? To me, this was the most frustrating thing in a game filled with frustrating moments.