Justin Rogers

thurman34

Rogers was slated to contribute significantly as a corner in nickel/dime situations and possibly be the lead KO return man. With his nagging injury in training camp, is there any chance he gets cut? Also, has anyone heard any updates on when he would possible return to practice?

From today's practice notes, it sounds like Rogers may be good to go this week - certainly by the season opener - and that Gailey still loves him...

For the first time in three weeks CB Justin Rogers was in pads and taking reps on the practice field. The second-year cornerback has been rehabbing a hamstring injury...Rogers was limited to taking reps only in the slot to prevent him from having to turn and run to cover deeper routes on the boundary in practice. Missing all but two practices in training camp, Rogers was forced to exercise his brain a lot more than his body to stay up to speed on all the play installation. Even though I wasn’t on the field I stayed on top of the playbook and assignments,” he said. “You can go out there and your hamstring can be messed up, but your mind can’t so you have to know what to do.”

“He’s such a smart football player,” said Gailey. “He’s got ability. He doesn’t have a lot of size, but he has a ton of ability and great instincts. Justin I think could be a very good football player for us and help us win a lot of football games.” With all going well in practice Wednesday for Rogers, the door is still open for the cornerback to possibly see some action Saturday against Pittsburgh.

“It’s however I feel,” he said. “I tell them I’m feeling good and the next day they’ll give me more and we’ll keep progressing like that until it’s 100 percent. I’m just coming out day by day practicing and then we’ll discuss that when the game comes.”

“We’re going to look at it,” said Gailey of this week’s game. “I think it’s a combination of how he feels, how he moves, talking to him. We want to be smart about it, but he’s got a chance to play this week.”

(Link - Wednesday Practice Notes-Rogers returns)