QB will be the reason we still can't get it done

Toshiero

fair enough, but did you also notice that Stevie didn't catch a ball for the time he was in the game. I think the offense was calling other numbers to see if they could produce or not. Only 3 weeks left to see any of those young WR's are worth a darn

By "didn't catch a ball for the time he was in the game", are you referring to his 11-yard catch on the first series, his first-down catch that immediately followed the long pass to Chandler, or the TD that he caught that was called back?

It's also worth noting that the starting offense only attempted 3 passes that went to a WR other than Johnson (2 to D. Jones and 1 Hagan--all of which were poor passes). The rest of the passes went to Chandler, Johnson, Spiller, or Jackson.

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson had a nice TD, but of course it got called back by Spillers inability to line-up correctly. Using RB's as WR's consistently has its drawbacks. Perhaps signing TO or someone with WR experience would have been a good idea.

+1. This is the only way we win games. I am hoping (but not hopeful) that this has already happened and the pre-season is a smokscreen of sorts to see if there is any chance the run and shoot can work. Based on last night, it can't. When you have 2 potential 1K yard rushers, you use them!

TO signed with Seattle after he ran a 4.5 40. Plaxaco is still out there tho

At this point I'm more concerned with the Bills WR corps, last season Johnson #19-Nelson #61 and the 3rd WR was Naaman Roosevelt @ # 167, Brad Smith # 177.... which is kinda scary when you think of all of those 4-5 WR sets Gailey called last year

By "didn't catch a ball for the time he was in the game", are you referring to his 11-yard catch on the first series, his first-down catch that immediately followed the long pass to Chandler, or the TD that he caught that was called back?

It's also worth noting that the starting offense only attempted 3 passes that went to a WR other than Johnson (2 to D. Jones and 1 Hagan--all of which were poor passes). The rest of the passes went to Chandler, Johnson, Spiller, or Jackson.

Whoa, way to much factual information in there.

To be fair, that's where the mismatches were. Chandler, Spiller and Jackson had LBs covering them, I believe, since the Skins were running base 3-4 the entire time.

Well Fitz is the guy because VY and Thigpen aren't getting the job done.

PTR

Fitz isn't getting the job done either, he is the worst starting QB in the NFL hands down,. He is the worse because he is not getting any better, he was worse last year then the year before, and has already reached his ceiling, there is nothing higher for him, and it is just not good enough.

I would cut him right now.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Whoa, way to much factual information in there.

Sorry...that's always been an issue for me.

To be fair, that's where the mismatches were. Chandler, Spiller and Jackson had LBs covering them, I believe, since the Skins were running base 3-4 the entire time.

Oh I agree. I wasn't saying that to be critical, just pointing out that Beard's statement of testing out the other WR's at Stevie's expense wasn't really the case.

This sounds like Dick ball. Please tell me we aren't going to play Dick ball again.

I don't believe this is the plan for a minute. Coach Gailey understands you win by SCORING more points than the other team. Not, take care of the ball and don't make mistakes and try to steal it at the end.

Jauron won more than Gailey still somehow?!?!?

Wrong. Go back and watch the Oakland New England games from last year.

The 2 worst pass defenses in the NFL last year. Perfect.

Bottom line, AGAIN the Bills hang on to an average to below average QB and try to pass him off as an NFL Starter AND we have nothing other than one guy at WR. But hey, lets go ahead and try to go no huddle, 4-5 WR's and throw the ball 500x per game instead of playing to what strengths we have.

I remember people fighting for JP, RG, Trent Edwards etc just as hard as they fight for Fitz. For some reason the Bills nation needs to cling to crap QB's and try to believe they will become something.

Bottom line, AGAIN the Bills hang on to an average to below average QB and try to pass him off as an NFL Starter AND we have nothing other than one guy at WR. But hey, lets go ahead and try to go no huddle, 4-5 WR's and throw the ball 500x per game instead of playing to what strengths we have.

I remember people fighting for JP, RG, Trent Edwards etc just as hard as they fight for Fitz. For some reason the Bills nation needs to cling to crap QB's and try to believe they will become something.

Geez, relax. It's the preseason, how the hell do you know the Bills are going exclusively to the no huddle for the season?

Let's just call this the "Fitz haters thread" and everyone with sanitybshould just back out and let Toshiero, Paintmyhouse, and the other few members of the blind to reason, anti Fitz club pat each other on the back about how a few series in the first preseason game validates them.

Does that really sound like a deal that has set the team back?

Yes, they spend 2-3 years seeing if Fitz is the man, he's not, he's a big waste of time. So this season is yet again a big waste of time for the guys on the team who actually do posses NFL level talent.

Knowing the Bills, they will keep him around for similar reasons to Kelsay, and guess what, the team will STILL suck...

So what good does this route running clinic do if Fitz can't hit them? He was under/over throwing open receivers all night. He was in camp right? Oh that's right, poor baby is worried about his hurtsy side. Or whatever new alibi comes up.

On the bright side RG3 looked way further along than Fitz. If only we............

lol we have one preseason game and everyone thinks the world is going to end. Like really. It's PRESEASON, that's when you experiment. There's no game plan, just trying different things. One thing is for sure. Potter is definitely a plus. If he can nail em in the endzone every game, that will be a huge plus we didn't have last year.

Let's just call this the "Fitz haters thread" and everyone with sanitybshould just back out and let Toshiero, Paintmyhouse, and the other few members of the blind to reason, anti Fitz club pat each other on the back about how a few series in the first preseason game validates them.

Yep, sure is blind. He is 18-33-1 as aq starter, who got worse last season, has qualified for the last 4 years in QB ranking and showed no real growth at all and has a highest ranking of 22 and led the league in INTs. This is not blind, these are facts, he a proven loser QB on bad teams, he may not be the whole reason for losing but he sure doesn't help winning and has already peaked. You lose nothing if you cut him, you can fart 10 wins over two seasons, only 3 teams have less and they are all set moving forward at QB. Bills are in a really bad spot.

lol we have one preseason game and everyone thinks the world is going to end

There is your mistake, it's not just one preseason game. We have all been witness to many games of Fitz not getting it done...

The only reason Fitz got anything done early last year is because the lockout last offseason was a larger disadvantage to defenses than offenses. Once defenses caught up to speed, Fitz was right back to being an ineffective QB, like he will be all season long this year.

My goodness, Bill fans are clueless...

No wonder why Ralph Wilson has been able to milk this town for all it's worth, all the while threatening to leave.

"Yes sir, I'll have another."

Edited by ETD66SS

Yep, sure is blind. He is 18-33-1 as aq starter, who got worse last season, has qualified for the last 4 years in QB ranking and showed no real growth at all and has a highest ranking of 22 and led the league in INTs. This is not blind, these are facts, he a proven loser QB on bad teams, he may not be the whole reason for losing but he sure doesn't help winning and has already peaked. You lose nothing if you cut him, you can fart 10 wins over two seasons, only 3 teams have less and they are all set moving forward at QB. Bills are in a really bad spot.

I posted this to you in another thread in response to your Fitz-bashing crusade. You didn't respond then; I feel fairly certain that you won't now:

No, Fitz is not terrible. "Terrible" QBs don't finish 11th in the NFL in passing yards, 10th in TDs, and 9th in completion percentage in their first full season as a starter (one in which there was practially no off-season to speak of). Yes, he lead the NFL in interceptions, and was 22nd in both YPA and QB rating...to me that reeks of a guy trying to do too much when playing from behind, but hey, that's just coming from a guy that watched the games.

But by all means, please continue to point out only the negative things that suit your opinion, and feel free to ignore the many good things he did last year (you know, his first full season as a starter).

Forget that he threw for more yards/game than guys like Jay Cutler and Sam Bradford; that he threw more TDs than Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Michael Vick, and Josh Freeman; that he had a higher completion percentage than Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Michael Vick, and Cam Newton. None of this matters, only your QB rating and INT stats matter.

Nice job cherry-picking your stats so that you can be negative.

There is your mistake, it's not just one preseason game. We have all been witness to many games of Fitz not getting it done...

The only reason Fitz got anything done early last year is because the lockout last offseason was a larger disadvantage to defenses than offenses. Once defenses caught up to speed, Fitz was right back to being an ineffective QB, like he will be all season long this year.

My goodness, Bill fans are clueless...

No wonder why Ralph Wilson has been able to milk this town for all it's worth, all the while threatening to leave.

"Yes sir, I'll have another."

Which magically coincided with the London Fletcher hit...amazing.

Let's just call it like it is: right now, Fitz is a middle of the pack QB. He performed well in some areas last year, and needs to improve in some areas.

Yesterday's game didn't show much improvement in anything. That wasn't unique to him, the offense, or this team.

It's one pre-season game, and the people freaking out about it are crazy.

And if next game, Fitz goes 10-of-11 for 100+ yards and 2 TDs on his first 2 drives (like he did last pre-season against Jax), the people proclaiming him a top 5 QB will be crazy too.

Educated fans understand that nothing can be gleaned from the pre-season.

Who will have a better season this yr RGIII or Fitz? I'd vote for RGIII.

Tough to say...too many variables like coaching, running game, O-line, etc.

Fitz was the reason the Bills were behind in many of the games. Ineffective QB play and no moving of the ball leaves the defense out there a lot, especially when you turn the ball over a ton too, suck on 3rd down, and lead the league in going 3 and out, but Fitz is really good at getting garbage time stats. He was 16th in the NFL in yards per game, that is the real stat, not yards, that is average. His TDs are a by product of playing from behind too and that Chan just does not run the ball. None of these things are opinion, they are all fact.

Blind to reason? how about you fitz fanatics quit being blind to reality? He is a below average QB who has more than peaked with any potential he had. He is on the same level of RJ, JP, Edwards and the other clowns the Bills have tried to parade as quality starters since Jim Kelly retired.

And another thing, I don't have to like the guy. Being a fan doesn't mean kissing ass and drinking the koolaid. The guy is what he is and many of us see it and with this being a BILLS BOARD we have the right to discuss whatever BILLS related topics we want and NOT be happy with X player or players or even how the team is ran or by its ownership. Somehow the koolaid drinkers seem to miss that.

Let's just call it like it is: right now, Fitz is a middle of the pack QB. He performed well in some areas last year, and needs to improve in some areas.

Yesterday's game didn't show much improvement in anything. That wasn't unique to him, the offense, or this team.

It's one pre-season game, and the people freaking out about it are crazy.

And if next game, Fitz goes 10-of-11 for 100+ yards and 2 TDs on his first 2 drives (like he did last pre-season against Jax), the people proclaiming him a top 5 QB will be crazy too.

Educated fans understand that nothing can be gleaned from the pre-season.

Tough to say...too many variables like coaching, running game, O-line, etc.

Educated fans look at his body of work and Yesterdays performance (preseason or not) is much like his norm. Therefore although its preseason, we have reason to worry.