Aug 2 Training Camp

BB.com reported that Merriman had a good practice... confirm?

Sorry if my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, but ICYMI I wrote in the OP:

----------Merriman appears to be 100%. He got a lot of time in the nickel package during the 11v11s. Even if he isn't 100%, he was still disruptive and I expect everyone will soon agree that Buddy's gamble finally paid off.

Furthermore, he had a good mix of moves. He was able to set the edge (showing his strength), and quite a few times just blew right by Hairston and Glenn. Like I said, even if he isn't 100%, he certainly seems "healthy enough." If this was a real game he would've KILLED Fitz at least twice. I mean even with Fitz getting the ball out in under two seconds, Shawne was already on top of him. I noticed that a few of the decent run plays had to be redirected away from Merriman. Whether they were designed cutbacks or not, Merriman was pushing the LT backwards the more often than not.

Trying to be positive here, I wonder if his timing might be off because he is still learning the offense - he's making the right read, but it still takes him longer to do it thus, the delayed timing?

Perhaps as he becomes more familiar and comfortable with the offense, his timing will improve.

The reason I suggest this is because from what you said about his performance on drills, it doesn't seem to be an intrinsic issue of accuracy or timing. It sounds plausible that something he has to do (make reads, elude the D) in 11-on-11 is throwing his timing off.

You might be on to something. However, it still seemed to me that is wasn't so much of when he decided to throw the ball, but that it was more that his "flick of the wrist" release caused the balls to sail a little a lot, and just not get to the spot in time. Or at least some combination of the two.

I'm looking forward to the preseason to see if VY can get the ball downfield with some pace. It really just looked like he could either throw a low-trajectory bullet, or a super high arcing fade, and nothing in between. The fades looked good in those individual drills where he was throwing way downfield, but like I said before, if there was a deep safety involved, he'd likely be able to get under it before it got to the receiver.

So we can imagine what Bills camp would look like if/when the Bills win the Super Bowl.

I was going to start a thread about the Denver Broncos with Peyton Manning as QB because I intend to follow them this year. Doing so doesn't make me a Broncos fan.

Well, you should've just started your own thread then! :thumbsup: But really, if that was your intention (and I'm sure it wasn't), you could've said something like, "Can you imagine next year when the Bills are showing off their Lombardi?" Even then, I fail to see what that had to do with the OP or the subsequent conversation. But hey, this is America, post whatever the hell you want!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE APPRECIATION EVERYONE HAS SHOWN! I too love the camp reports by TBDers, and I am more than happy to share. I only wish I could get out there more often!

GO BILLS!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does our O-line look? I keep reading how the defense is blowing by them, especially the tackles. I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense at this point and know that we finally have some really good D-lineman but is it cause for concern? I know it’s early in camp and all but I’m curious. It would be nice if Fitz had 3+ seconds to throw the ball this year.

Thanks OP for the excellent camp recap!!!!

How does our O-line look? I keep reading how the defense is blowing by them, especially the tackles. I expect the defense to be ahead of the offense at this point and know that we finally have some really good D-lineman but is it cause for concern? I know it’s early in camp and all but I’m curious. It would be nice if Fitz had 3+ seconds to throw the ball this year.

Thanks OP for the excellent camp recap!!!!

They looked better run blocking than in pass protection. Hairston and Glenn look good in general, but I think them getting beat was more that the d ends and d linemen as a whole are just that good.

Wood wasn't in that much, so hopefully he'll add some added protection and push once the season rolls around.

Fitz was getting the ball out quickly anyway, even on those deep throws/ longer drop backs.

To be honest, I didn't focus that much on the interior, and was even tho I was watching the ends, I wasn't necessarily paying attention to who was which tackle spot each time.

Also, a good move by a D end is more memorable than a good block by the T, so maybe I'm not remembering the good protections as much. Fitz definitely connected on several deep passes, so he must've had at least adequate protection on those.

All in all, I guess I'm just saying that IMO, it's probably just that the D line is SO good, that the o line is just going to look worse than they actually are. Even an all-star line would struggle against the likes of Mario, Merriman, Dareus, Kyle, and Dwan.