Buddy Nix, here is that Safety you wanted

Other key points raised in Nix's question-and-answer session with reporters:

* The Bills may add a player at safety, since they have only three players with NFL experience there in George Wilson, Jairus Byrd and Da'Norris Searcy.

"We've got good depth at most positions," Nix said. "The one place I'm a little concerned is our depth at safety. We've got three guys and we'd like to have four there that can play. Other than that I think we're pretty deep."

"Here's what we don't want to do. I'd rather not have to move somebody back there if you've got somebody hurt," Nix added. "I think that is unfair to them. Sometimes you have to do it. We may have to do it. But it's really unfair to them, and it's unfair to our team. If we can be alert here on waivers and whatever's available, we might bring in a safety."

Among the safeties on the free-agent market is former Bill Jim Leonhard, who started 40 games for the New York Jets the past three seasons. Leonhard suffered a torn patellar tendon in his knee last Dec. 11 but recently told a Wisconsin radio station he's ready to work out for teams.

Link

Green Bay -- In a surprising move -- one day before training camp begins -- the Packers have released veteran safety Charlie Peprah.

While Peprah did undergo arthroscopic knee surgery earlier this off-season and isn't 100% yet, he says he did not do the run portion of his physical. The decision to release Peprah may be a sign that the Packers will go younger at safety with M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian or possibly use Charles Woodson.

Link

Peprah is not without flaws and coming off an injury, but what I think he would be a nice fit. When I've watched him play I thought he was a playmaker. In my mind he is a guy who can play either safety position and if given a pass rush he might jump some balls for us cause he has good instincts.

fine to get in more bodies for camp, but i'd like to see (and expect) the bills to keep 3 safeties only with scott as the S/nickel LB swing guy - prefer to see that valuable roster spot spent on a DL, WR, or even potter over a 4th S

fine to get in more bodies for camp, but i'd like to see (and expect) the bills to keep 3 safeties only with scott as the S/nickel LB swing guy - prefer to see that valuable roster spot spent on a DL, WR, or even potter over a 4th S

Yet Nix himself said he didn't want to put someone in a swing position like that. I'm certain he was talking about Scott, so it's very unlikely Scott would be considered the 4th safety.

I like Nesbitt. I have no idea if he can play safety at the NFL level, but he is a tremendous athlete. I think they'll get a few practices in before they go hunting for a S. Good to know exactly what you have before you go an throw it away...

Since "The Kick is Good's" piece on Nesbitt, I'm intrigued by the guy too.

Seems like a really exceptional athlete and a pretty smart guy.

His inexperience might work against him though.

Tim Graham, in his fine blog, "Press Coverage" goes over some of the available options at safety (I don't think Peprah is mentioned).

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/bills-gm-buddy-nix-wants-safeties-in-numbers.html'>http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/07/bills-gm-buddy-nix-wants-safeties-in-numbers.html

And for those not familiar with his blog, here's the link… you can rewind through all the posts.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/

I know Nix and the coaching staff may be looking for a "starting" capable safety but I expect Delano Howell (our rookie undrafted pick) to make some plays and earn trust with the coaches and fill that spot up... But that's obviously just me talking as a fan of the kid... The guy is built like a brand new pick up truck with no miles on it... He just needs to get a few miles in and open the engine up...

Link

Link

Peprah is not without flaws and coming off an injury, but what I think he would be a nice fit. When I've watched him play I thought he was a playmaker. In my mind he is a guy who can play either safety position and if given a pass rush he might jump some balls for us cause he has good instincts.

After reading this part of your link...NO THANKS

Last season, Peprah finished with five interceptions and 14 pass break-ups, but he was never able to fill the void left by the injured Nick Collins. Though usually assignment-sure in Dom Capers' scheme, Peprah was often a step slow in coverage and lacked elite athleticism. His turbulent season culminated in Green Bay's playoff loss to the New York Giants. Peprah's missed tackle led to a 66-yard touchdown by Hakeem Nicks, and he was also one culprit on the Giants' Hail Mary touchdown right before halftime.

I'd like to see Delano Howell get a legitimate chance. Hoping he turns some heads in camp.

Howell is a SS I believe. Seems as if they will be looking for a FS. Not 100% on that but every player Chris Brown mentioned was a FS.

After reading this part of your link...NO THANKS

Last season, Peprah finished with five interceptions and 14 pass break-ups, but he was never able to fill the void left by the injured Nick Collins. Though usually assignment-sure in Dom Capers' scheme, Peprah was often a step slow in coverage and lacked elite athleticism. His turbulent season culminated in Green Bay's playoff loss to the New York Giants. Peprah's missed tackle led to a 66-yard touchdown by Hakeem Nicks, and he was also one culprit on the Giants' Hail Mary touchdown right before halftime.

As I said not without flaws, all I am saying is this is guy who has played starters minutes for the last two years on arguably the best team in football. My take on Peprah from games that I've watched is that he is a playmaker with good anticipation who is better suited for zone-schemes, I am not sure what Wanny's Defense will ask the safeties to do but as a backup I think he suits the team. You're not going to pick up a flawless player for cheap off of the waiver wire. There is a reason Peprah got cut.... but in mind he is a qualified to back-up Byrd and Wilison, and could fill in as a starter should there be an injury.