What does improved D-line really mean?

I haven't posted in awhile and I know it's not cool to be self-promotional but I think this is the sort of thing will interest some of you. If not, so be it... sorry for wasting your time. If yes, check it out.

I wanted a QB's perspective on the power of a dominant D line so I got in touch with former St. Francis and Naval Academy star (and NFL QB) Jim Kubiak to join me on a podcast to talk about the potential impact of the Bills' front 4. We also get into things like the relationships between positional coaches and their players, the Nix/Gailey plan, and even touch briefly on UB's stud RB Branden Oliver.

I got to know Jim when we worked together on UB broadcasts a couple of years ago and I think you'll appreciate his insight. It's a good podcast... and that has absolutely nothing to do with me.

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/?p=1261

First and foremost, it means more pressure on the quarterback. The model for beating our in division rival Patriots is clearly putting pressure on Brady. When he gets hit and rattled, he makes mistakes. When he has time, he's as good as anyone. Second, but almost equally important is being able to stop the run. There were far too many times when the defense of years past had the opposing offense at third and medium to long and they pick it up with a long run. That has to stop. If this defensive front-4 is as good as we think they will be, it will be a game changer.

Another point to add is that when you can control the line you can control the ball and time of possession. A team that can control the LOS can control the ball which in turn controls the TOP.

Remember the old saying a good offense is a good defense? Every play that the opposing offense is on the field is another play the defense must defend. Every play the defense must defend is another opportunity for the opposing offense to score points. Every time we can stop the offense from scoring points makes it easier for us to win ball games and requires us to score less points to win the ball game.

First and foremost, it means more pressure on the quarterback. The model for beating our in division rival Patriots is clearly putting pressure on Brady. When he gets hit and rattled, he makes mistakes. When he has time, he's as good as anyone. Second, but almost equally important is being able to stop the run. There were far too many times when the defense of years past had the opposing offense at third and medium to long and they pick it up with a long run. That has to stop. If this defensive front-4 is as good as we think they will be, it will be a game changer.

This defense needs to be able to stop 3rd and long. How many times would we see any team convert 3rd and long on us. It was very frustrating to watch.