How does the Fat Tuna keep doing it?

Guest Guest_RLflutie2_*
First he made Quincy Carter useful, now Vinny.  How does he keep doing this?  He is some kind of coach!

And that annoys me!

13575[/snapback]

It's called blocking. And Parcells seems to get everyone to block.

No taking plays off for any player. Every player plays every down.

Notice how Parcells drafted two offensive linemen that were in the 305-310 range this last draft.

When he took the job, he said the offensive line was too fat. I've been saying that for 5 years.

Most offensive linemen in the NFL dont' do their jobs.

My Bronocos do.

First he made Quincy Carter useful, now Vinny.  How does he keep doing this?  He is some kind of coach!

And that annoys me!

13575[/snapback]

I don't know...Vinny did look pretty good, but he made some really bad passes. I counted at least 4 passes yesterday that should have been picked off (one was).

He made some good throws, but had really bad judgement on others.

His offensive line did a really good job for him, but in regular season they will see a MUCH more aggressive effort from most teams. Everyone will be trying to knock him out of games!

That said, IMO Parcells is the best coach in the league....and that includes BB.

And that annoys me!

13575[/snapback]

He gets to buy the groceries....

The key to being a good coach is having a system, then getting players that can excel in your system. Do not just plug holes, but plug holes with players who can perform in the system.

I think Gw had the system, but not the players.

Now I think MM has the players, needs to figure out the system.

Parcells knows how to play the percentages and doesn't take big risks.

Two things I've read and seen about this guy that are impressive.

In a Sports Illustrated article last year, it recounted Parcells running plays out of Dallas' own end zone. He basically told the QBs that if he ever called anything but an up the gut run in that situation, they would know that he went insane.

Sure enough, later on, as a test, Parcells called a sweep, and the scrub QB tried to run the play. Parcells stopped the practice and chewed the guy for trying to run the sweep.

The message was that his team wouldn't take foolish risks.

NFL Films did an "In they're Own Words" feature on him and had footage of him working with Dave Megget on punt catching.

He explained that catching punts was extremely important, because when he was the Giants coach, an opposing team let all the Giants punts drop and roll during a game on a windy day, while the Giants returner fair caught the opposing team's punts.

Parcells figured out that the opposing team lost over 100 yards in field position by letting the punts roll, while the Giants lost none.

The guy just understands the way the game should be played.

Parcells knows how to play the percentages and doesn't take big risks. 

Two things I've read and seen about this guy that are impressive.

In a Sports Illustrated article last year, it recounted Parcells running plays out of Dallas' own end zone.  He basically told the QBs that if he ever called anything but an up the gut run in that situation, they would know that he went insane. 

Sure enough, later on, as a test, Parcells called a sweep, and the scrub QB tried to run the play.  Parcells stopped the practice and chewed the guy for trying to run the sweep.

The message was that his team wouldn't take foolish risks.

NFL Films did an "In they're Own Words" feature on him and had footage of him working with Dave Megget on punt catching.

He explained that catching punts was extremely important, because when he was the Giants coach, an opposing team let all the Giants punts drop and roll during a game on a windy day, while the Giants returner fair caught the opposing team's punts.

Parcells figured out that the opposing team lost over 100 yards in field position by letting the punts roll, while the Giants lost none.

The guy just understands the way the game should be played.

13598[/snapback]

Some of the things he does are so simple, it's kind of stupifying that other coaches can't figure it out.

The punt catching thing is one of the first things I noticed. Just catching the thing literally saves you an average of 10 yards per kick over the long haul.

Guest Guest_RLflutie2_*
Some of the things he does are so simple, it's kind of stupifying that other coaches can't figure it out.

The punt catching thing is one of the first things I noticed.  Just catching the thing literally saves you an average of 10 yards per kick over the long haul.

13601[/snapback]

Parcells also proved that the QB position is still the most important position on a team. Even though he would tell you otherwise, he actions speak louder than words.

He kept a player on cocaine (Lawrence Taylor LB) at another position.

But he cut a QB on drugs as soon as he could.

Parcells also proved that the QB position is still the most important position on a team. Even though he would tell you otherwise, he actions speak louder than words.

He kept a player on cocaine (Lawrence Taylor LB) at another position.

But he cut a QB on drugs as soon as he could.

13605[/snapback]

If Quincy Carter were the Lawrence Taylor of QBs, you might actually have a valid point. <_<

Anyone want to bet that the Cowboys don't make the playoffs this year? I think the great Parcells (who I believe is great) coaches them to an 8-8 or at best 9-7 season this year.

13619[/snapback]

Hard to say given their division and schedule. Success in today's NFL is so predicated on injuries and timing that I am not ready to bet against/for anything.

Plus, they play the Redskins and Giant 4 times. <_<

If Quincy Carter were the Lawrence Taylor of QBs, you might actually have a valid point.  <_<

13611[/snapback]

if you didn't understand...keep reading it over and over..the point he made is pretty clear to me..

First he made Quincy Carter useful, now Vinny.

Not to mention Ray Lucas, Jeff Hostetler, Drew Bledsoe and Tom Tupa.......Tom freaking Tupa! Unreal......

if you didn't understand...keep reading it over and over..the point he made is pretty clear to me..

The point he made compares arguably the greatest LB in the history of the NFL with a journeyman QB. When Parcells cuts Joe Montana or John Elway for blowing a couple rails, then maybe you can draw the comparison. Until then AD is right on the money.

Cya

Not to mention Ray Lucas, Jeff Hostetler, Drew Bledsoe and Tom Tupa.......Tom freaking Tupa! Unreal......

The point he made compares arguably the greatest LB in the history of the NFL with a journeyman QB. When Parcells cuts Joe Montana or John Elway for blowing a couple rails, then maybe you can draw the comparison. Until then AD is right on the money.

Cya

13713[/snapback]

That is the point he made...he wasn't comparing...his point was that IF Quincy was a "Joe Montana" the cocaine wouldn't have mattered. Parcells knows how important the QB is in his system and he used the only means he had to get rid of him...DUH

Yeah, and pretty stupid.  Simple minds seldom differ.

13726[/snapback]

LOL...YOU speaking of simple minds..............< rolling eyes >

And that annoys me!

13575[/snapback]

He holds his players accountable and challenges them and their masculinity

He also takes no bull !