Has there ever been a great coach

Interesting thread, Lou Saban, Kemp (Afl Champs).. Lou Saban, Fergy (AFC WC game) too bad he wasn't a Bill for longer, history may have been much different.

Wiki "during the AFL years was 36–17–3, with winning seasons in each of his four years.

In 1964 and 1965, the Bills went 12–2 and 10–3–1, en route to consecutive AFL championships. Saban was the only man ever to accomplish that feat, and the only one to coach his team into the post-season three straight years (1963–1965)."

He also lead the Bills to two 9-5 seasons in the 70s one which lead to a WC berth in the playoffs, interesting coaching tree as well, including

Marty Schottenheimer

Joe Collier

Cam Cameron

Bill Cowher

Herm Edwards

Tony Dungy

Marvin Lewis

Ken Whisenhunt

Lovie Smith

Rod Marinelli

Mike Tomlin

Sam Rutigliano

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lombardi is an interesting example to consider. He was a great cosch in Green Bay but he was not good and arguably produced poor results as an HC in DC. Marv is certainly an HOF talent for his Bills work but he simply sucked in KC.

Even Billicheat who has simply done sm amazing things in NE that I would say are some of the best episodes of HC work I have ever seen, simply was mediocre in 5 years at Cleveland with one playoff game loss is all he has to show for it. When one adds to this his agreement to coach the Jets and sinmple reneging on the deal and also the taping episode, I would never want to see this cheater be called great.

I think yeah sort of is the totally correct answer to the question in this thread.

ray rhodes june jones bill callahan mike tice dennis erickson dave shula butch davis mike nolan marty mornhinweg nick saban dave campo joe bugel rick kotite bobby petrino lane kiffen josh mcdaniels and the old ball coach.these losers would of won multiple superbowls if the had.

1 hall a fame qb that never missed a game.

2 pro bowlers for a offensive line.

3 great kicker.

4 average d.

i left out the greatest of all time barry switzer.