Pass Rush could be the key to the SB

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/06/25/pass-rush-adds-could-be-difference/

"Buffalo’s pass rush additions have garnered the Bills a lot of offseason attention. But by adding Mario Williams and Mark Anderson and the strong likelihood of a back to form Shawne Merriman, they’re also being looked upon as a legitimate playoff contender because of what recent Super Bowl history has said about teams with pass rush talent.

NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah astutely pointed out that four of the last five Super Bowl winners finished in the top 3 in sacks in their championship seasons. He then looks at the bottom 10 NFL clubs in sacks from 2011 and picks out four that he feels best addressed their pass rush shortcomings. Naturally the Bills were on the list. Here was his assessment.

Buffalo Bills (T-27th with 29 sacks): The Bills weren’t bashful in addressing their pass-rushing needs. They brought in the top available pass rusher in free agency (Mario Williams) and robbed a divisional rival of their top pass rusher (Mark Anderson). Those two players should help the Bills drastically improve their anemic sack total of 2011.

Merriman isn’t even mentioned in the assessment, but with the spring he was able to put together the Bills could have a third proven pass rusher added to the fold."

I'm liking the Bills chances already.

:doh:

But in all seriousness, if we had a pass rush/defense, we win 3-4 more games. The Bengals, Giants, and Jets definitely and I think we could've gotten the Dolphins the second time; we were a lot closer to winning that game than most people think.

That would've gave us a 9-7, 10-6 record; 9 wins could've switched us with the Bengals for the 6th seed and 10 might've given us number 5.

But could've, would've, should've.

:doh:

But in all seriousness, if we had a pass rush/defense, we win 3-4 more games. The Bengals, Giants, and Jets definitely and I think we could've gotten the Dolphins the second time; we were a lot closer to winning that game than most people think.

That would've gave us a 9-7, 10-6 record; 9 wins could've switched us with the Bengals for the 6th seed and 10 might've given us number 5.

But could've, would've, should've.

Wasn't talking about last season, I'm talking about the potential of the Bills this year with a great pass rush, compared to the previous SB champs that won with a great pass rush. With the Bills having a much better Defense (at least on paper), expect the Bills to be rushing more than passing (which should reduce the amount of offensive turnovers).

Wasn't talking about last season, I'm talking about the potential of the Bills this year with a great pass rush, compared to the previous SB champs that won with a great pass rush. With the Bills having a much better Defense (at least on paper), expect the Bills to be rushing more than passing (which should reduce the amount of offensive turnovers).

I think I should've added another sentence in the beginning to clarify what I was talking about. :oops:

If we had this defensive line that we have this year, last year, we would've made the playoffs. We had a tougher schedule last season so there's no reason we shouldn't make it this year on one of the easiest schedules in the league.

I apologize for the confusion.
:blush: Edited by Teen Insight

I think I should've added another sentence in the beginning to clarify what I was talking about. :oops:

If we had this defensive line that we have this year, last year, we would've made the playoffs. We had a tougher schedule last season so there's no reason we shouldn't make it this year on one of the easiest schedules in the league.

I apologize for the confusion.
:blush:

No problem!

What I like is that after 10 years of trying to force a pass rusher on us (with the exception of Schobel) the Bills finally walked the talk and got proven pass rushers, a proven D-coordinator and have made the team tremendously bigger in just 3 off seasons. This team is far more ready to compete each week for an entire season than i can remember and that is so refreshing

No problem!

I think what's starting to happen is what happened all those years ago. We're now finally adding depth to the team, yet besides mario williams we're still flying under the radar. We're putting together one heck of a team, especially on defense now. The pieces are finally starting to fall together!!