Jennings/Falcons Question

Ennjay

I've been reading all year that Jennings is from Georgia and the Falcons have an interest. I know nothing whatsoever about either the Falcons' o-line or their cap situation. It's just possible that the Falcons have two tackles they like and no cap room anyway. Does anyone on this board know anything about either?

I've been reading all year that Jennings is from Georgia and the Falcons have an interest.  I know nothing whatsoever about either the Falcons' o-line or their cap situation.  It's just possible that the Falcons have two tackles they like and no cap room anyway.  Does anyone on this board know anything about either?

186382[/snapback]

One thing i do know is that the falcons Oline isn't the strongest part of their team by any means

One thing i do know is that the falcons Oline isn't the strongest part of their team by any means

186387[/snapback]

I live in Atlanta. I know JJ father. JJ wants to come to the falcons. The falcons need a tackle desperately. They do have the cap room to afford a moderate deal for JJ. Also the falcons may dump Peerless in the offseason after June 1 to free up cap room.

The falcons may dump Peerless in the offseason after June 1 to free up cap room.

186395[/snapback]

I find that really interesting. The Peerless deal was supposed to cement Vick as a weapon because he'd have a downfield go-to receiver if defenses bunched the o-line to take away the Vick run. So after two years they would give up on Peerless? They need the cap space that much? And they have other receivers?

I find that really interesting.  The Peerless deal was supposed to cement Vick as a weapon because he'd have a downfield go-to receiver if defenses bunched the o-line to take away the Vick run.  So after two years they would give up on Peerless?  They need the cap space that much?  And they have other receivers?

186403[/snapback]

Peerless was a free agency year wonderboy. His production has been in rapid decline since 2002. The Falcons also drafted Jenkins last year in the 1st round and quite frankly he may be the better deep threat already. Being younger and cheaper, Jenkins could make Peerless highly dumpable. It would not surprise me at all to see the Falcons try to go in a different direction at the position -- the Falcons receivers have been pretty putrid this year, Crumpler being about the only guy that can be counted upon.

Peerless was a free agency year wonderboy.  His production has been in rapid decline since 2002.  The Falcons also drafted Jenkins last year in the 1st round and quite frankly he may be the better deep threat already.  Being younger and cheaper, Jenkins could make Peerless highly dumpable.  It would not surprise me at all to see the Falcons try to go in a different direction at the position -- the Falcons receivers have been pretty putrid this year, Crumpler being about the only guy that can be counted upon.

186436[/snapback]

Fantastic Username (bonus points for blasphemy)

Call it morbid curiosity, but would anyone here take Peerless back if he gets released?

186443[/snapback]

Wow, interesting. He will certainly land on his feet somewhere. If Moulds can't come back, maybe you make Peerless the #2 and make Lee the #1. The guy does have skills, he's just not a #1 receiver.

As a 3rd WR and for cheap, maybe.

186447[/snapback]

Peerless would never come back because Lee would embarass the hell out of him. Peerless is doomed to a life of wandering if he gets cut. Maybe he'd sign with the Giants because of the whole killdrive connection.

Just for fun: This years stats

Peerless Price :38rec 529yards 13.9avg. 50 long 2 TD

Lee Evans : 46rec 780yards 17.0avg. 69long 9TD

oh yeah and that guy we traded Peerless for:

Willis: 266att 1049yards 3.9avg 41long 11 TDs

I personally see Jonas Jennings as good as gone once free agency hits, he'll ask for waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money and be shown the door.

As for Peerless...I dont think Atlanta would give up on him this quickly, but if they do I wouldnt mind seeing him crawl back to us. I think a combo of Moulds, Evans and Price would be damn scary to any Defense.

I live in Atlanta.  I know JJ father.  JJ wants to come to the falcons.  The falcons need a tackle desperately.  They do have the cap room to afford a moderate deal for JJ.  Also the falcons may dump Peerless in the offseason after June 1 to free up cap room.

186395[/snapback]

I just saw this thread and just posted my sense of whether there will be a market for jJennings in another thread. As I said in it as it particular deals with the AT situation, I don't know the particulars but there are several questions which must be answered to make responses to the question in this thread realistic.

1, What are the cap impacts of the new 100+ million deal for Vuck on the AT cap- With backloading this contract actually could create more front end room for AT in their cap, but this does not necessarily make it easier for them to make a big offer to and sign Jennings as he is at an age where he is also looking for a substantial long-term deal. I think the Vick deal will constrain AT from going after Jennings and makes it more likely that they sign a proven LT vet to a short-term deal with any initial cap savings created by the Vick deal.

2. I really doubt that AT is in any position to cut Price this soon after he was signed to a big deal as all of his contract would become deadspace against the 2006 cap even if you waited until June 1st.

3. What is a moderate contract? Is it the 5.5 million annual cap hit below the $6 million top 10 average which is the transition figure. Is it the $5 million annual salary Petitgout or Clifton and a couple of other LTs. Is it something like the incredible bargain of a $2.6 million annually that the Bills pay to get Teague?

If it is Teague level money plus a little kicker for an LT, I sign Jennings in a hot minute, it it is top 10 OL money I wish him luck elsewhere. If it is between these amounts it depends upon our budget.

You remember Drew commenting that there were no jerks on this team and that it was unique not to have a few guys in the locker room that he would classify as jerks....something tells me that Peerless fit the jerk category.......I doubt we wanted him when he hit FA and I doubt we want him back.

Jonas is a different story. All this coming home stuff is nice to hear, but face it--during the season these guys are extremely busy--it makes no difference where they play and in the offseason, they can travel "home" as much as they want. Hell Matthews and Willis go home during the season during the Monday and Tuesday breaks Coach Mularkey gives when they win.

Jonas will make a decision on dollars...but I bet we franchise him and then try to get something for him---similar to Peerless...we still have the tag why not use it. If Mr. Home Depot wants to overpay again, let him...but we need to find a replacement that Coach McNally can blend into the fold.

You remember Drew commenting that there were no jerks on this team and that it was unique not to have a few guys in the locker room that he would classify as jerks....something tells me that Peerless fit the jerk category.......I doubt we wanted him when he hit FA and I doubt we want him back.

Jonas is a different story.  All this coming home stuff is nice to hear, but face it--during the season these guys are extremely busy--it makes no difference where they play and in the offseason, they can travel "home" as much as they want.  Hell Matthews and Willis go home during the season during the Monday and Tuesday breaks Coach Mularkey gives when they win.

Jonas will make a decision on dollars...but I bet we franchise him and then try to get something for him---similar to Peerless...we still have the tag why not use it.  If Mr. Home Depot wants to overpay again, let him...but we need to find a replacement that Coach McNally can blend into the fold.

186460[/snapback]

Franchising JJ is not an option. He is not that good, and we don't have that kind of cap space. Furthermore some excellent tackles may hit the open market this year including orlando pace and walter jones.

Franchising JJ is not an option.  He is not that good, and we don't have that kind of cap space.  Furthermore some excellent tackles may hit the open market this year including orlando pace and walter jones.

186468[/snapback]

Also, Atlanta will no longer overpay for players, since they have a new GM Rich Mckay.

Also, Atlanta will no longer overpay for players, since they have a new GM Rich Mckay.

186472[/snapback]

Damn, and here I was hoping we could hose them for another 1st rounder :(

"We'll give you this slightly damaged Travis Henry, despite the fact you already have two solid RBs, for the low, low price of a crummy 1st rounder"

"SOLD!"

Franchising JJ is not an option.  He is not that good, and we don't have that kind of cap space.  Furthermore some excellent tackles may hit the open market this year including orlando pace and walter jones.

186468[/snapback]

1) You can always make the cap room -- you only need it for the time the tag is used...we get $3-4 million in dead money back from Ruben and then the rise in funds (estimated right now at about $6 million) and then whatever we had to spare. Plus Moulds will redo.

2) We are in a perfect position to pull this off--no glaring needs with the priority being to sign our own UFA or extend those with contracts expiring.

If we want to do it-- it is an option and TD and Overdorf have already made it work once. Something tells me Mr. Blank will do it again...I don't even want a first for Jonas--a package of a second and third will do.