Could really use some help hooking up my TV..Vcr..etc.

PIZ

My cable company is adding HD Definition format of channels on Monday and I want to have a plan for set-up, ahead of time. They now require us to add at a minimum an HD Digital Adaptor.

Here is what I need to hook up:

I have a Sony Bravia......it has 2 HDMI input. A cable/antenna input. Component Audio ® and Mono (L) inputs. PB, PB and Y (Video In).

I have a Cisco DTA 170HD Digital Transport Adaptor.......it has a Cable In input and a To TV output. It also has an HDMI slot.

I have a Panasonic VCR with the normal cable in- cable out. It has the Red, White, Yellow inputs and outputs.

I also have a DirecTv HD receiver.....it has the Red, White, Yellow outputs and an HDMI slot. I only use this for Sunday Ticket...my normal programming is cable. I may switch full time at some time but the storms knock it out all the time.

Lastly, I have a surge protector that I run the cable into......then out to the VCR. I don't know if this will work with the new programming.

I was planning on hooking it up like this:

Should I first run the cable/antenna into the surge protector, then have the cable/antenna out from the surge protector go into the Cable In input on the HD Adapter.

Plug the DirecTv into the HDMI of the TV. Also, have the R, W, and Y (video) go from the DirecTv to the input of the VCR so I could record football games.

Plug the HD Adapter to the TV by using the HDMI connection.

Plug the cable antenna into the HD Adapter In and have the To TV (out) go to the VCR antenna in. Then should I plug the R, W, Y (video) out on the VCR to the component in (R, W, Green ((hybrid))) in the TV or should I run the cable/antenna out on the VCR to the cable/antenna in on the TV.......or should I do both?

I want to be able to record the HD programming, even if it isn't in HD, but I want to be able to watch HD programming live on my TV...will this set-up screw that up?

Any help would be appreciated.

If this is in the wrong forum, please advise.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going backwards from the tv: connect the digital adapter box and hd direct tv box via hdmi cables. connect the vcr to the vcr in and out of the dircet tv box via rca cables (red,yellow white). connect cable directly to digital adapter. use line conditioner (surge suppressor) for all a/c power cords. alternatively buy a receiver and run everything through it and out a single hdmi cable to the tv.

I don't mean to sound like a richard here, but... you'll pay for a DirectTV package that you almost never use plus cable, but you're still using a VCR? I mean, DVR and Tivo have been around for a while.

I'd kill the DTV, get a DVR box (which probably cuts out the need for a digital adapter) and live the good life. Then go to a buddy's, a sports bar or watch online ( :pirate: ) for games.

My cable company is adding HD Definition format of channels on Monday and I want to have a plan for set-up, ahead of time.

"Ahead of time" was 2001 lol. Your cable company is just NOW adding HD channels??

I don't mean to sound like a richard here, but... you'll pay for a DirectTV package that you almost never use plus cable, but you're still using a VCR? I mean, DVR and Tivo have been around for a while.

I'd kill the DTV, get a DVR box (which probably cuts out the need for a digital adapter) and live the good life. Then go to a buddy's, a sports bar or watch online ( :pirate: ) for games.

that's what i do, although i'm considering getting sunday ticket internet service (which is cheaper than almost any monthly directtv contract over a year) because the Bills ARE going to be good and entertaining this year! if you go the dvr route, i'd recommend tivo over any of the crappy boxes the cable co's use. I've now had four of those dvr's and not one has been as good as my early generation tivo. tivo used to provide dvr's for directtv but not any more.

that's what i do, although i'm considering getting sunday ticket internet service (which is cheaper than almost any monthly directtv contract over a year) because the Bills ARE going to be good and entertaining this year! if you go the dvr route, i'd recommend tivo over any of the crappy boxes the cable co's use. I've now had four of those dvr's and not one has been as good as my early generation tivo. tivo used to provide dvr's for directtv but not any more.

The cable company has a Tivo DVR option, that we might go with. It costs $15.00 a month to lease. If I drop the DirecTv, what are my options for watching Bills games from home? I am extremely busy with my kids activities and I can't keep up with the technology or new products anymore. Dropping DirecTv and going with a Tivo DVR would be nice, IF I could watch the Bills games pretty cheaply. Right now, I get a minimal DirecTv package and add on Sunday Ticket....my wife made the deal with them...we end up getting the package and the Sunday Ticket for the same price as just the Sunday Ticket. Then after the football season, I SUSPEND my account, and then will activate it again when football season starts.

The cable company has a Tivo DVR option, that we might go with. It costs $15.00 a month to lease. If I drop the DirecTv, what are my options for watching Bills games from home? I am extremely busy with my kids activities and I can't keep up with the technology or new products anymore. Dropping DirecTv and going with a Tivo DVR would be nice, IF I could watch the Bills games pretty cheaply. Right now, I get a minimal DirecTv package and add on Sunday Ticket....my wife made the deal with them...we end up getting the package and the Sunday Ticket for the same price as just the Sunday Ticket. Then after the football season, I SUSPEND my account, and then will activate it again when football season starts.

well, you should qualify for the sunday ticket to go (which is the internet feed) since you have poor reception. i've heard rumblings that they may allow anyone to buy this product alone next year without direct tv satellite service or mitigating circumstances (poor reception).. unfortunately, you cant tape it any legal way that i'm aware of and your tv probably doesn't have a pc input so you'd have to watch on the computer. i'm pretty sure it costs the same as sunday ticket via satellite. so maybe your best bet is to keep the directtv contract like you are. if that's what you decide, then set up the vcr/direct tv box as i outlined. in essence, you use the direct tv box like an av receiver for your vcr.

direct tv might disallow your current practice of suspending your account, however. i requested that same scenario from their agent a few years ago and they said i would be breaking the 2 year contract and have to pay penalties.

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/ :pirate: YAR!!

Edited by UConn James

well, you should qualify for the sunday ticket to go (which is the internet feed) since you have poor reception. i've heard rumblings that they may allow anyone to buy this product alone next year without direct tv satellite service or mitigating circumstances (poor reception).. unfortunately, you cant tape it any legal way that i'm aware of and your tv probably doesn't have a pc input so you'd have to watch on the computer. i'm pretty sure it costs the same as sunday ticket via satellite. so maybe your best bet is to keep the directtv contract like you are. if that's what you decide, then set up the vcr/direct tv box as i outlined. in essence, you use the direct tv box like an av receiver for your vcr.

direct tv might disallow your current practice of suspending your account, however. i requested that same scenario from their agent a few years ago and they said i would be breaking the 2 year contract and have to pay penalties.

I don't think I have a 2 year contract. I think I am just going to cancel that subscription and tell them it is because of poor reception, and maybe they will offer me the internet option. My TV does have the PC input....never thought I would have a use for it until now.

Small town in pa. Not exactly a revolt, but they had town meetings demanding answers.....the cable company made lots of promises and failed to deliver. In one week everyone had to go to their local office and get one of 4 adapters or receivers.

I think I am going to just cancel my directv. Maybe if its offered, I'll get the internet option, since my tv has that plugin.....hopefully the Bills play at opposite times as the Steelers so they are on my cable.

Now you did it! You just gave the Bills the kiss of death!

Now you did it! You just gave the Bills the kiss of death!

I've had Sunday Ticket all these years and the Bills sucked. Now I might drop it so they will be great.

Wow, I'm embarrassed that this is going on in my home state!! lol

If I were you, I'd call DTV and have them come out to fine tune your dish. As Fezmid always points out, typically when the signal drops frequently or easily, it's because the physical dish needs to be adjusted a bit. If I were you I'd get rid of the cable and keep the DTV!

What kinda bubble do you live in... It is PA! Only some parts of Ohio are scarier!

Don't mean to get you going... :nana: :nana:

Well, admittedly, I'm not a big fan of central PA...I was born in the NW part of the state and went to school in SE PA and adopted Philly as my unofficial hometown. I just can't believe that there is a cable company that is just now rolling out HD channels, especially with the switch to digital OTA signals and such.

Definitely agree about Ohio lol

Wow, I'm embarrassed that this is going on in my home state!! lol

If I were you, I'd call DTV and have them come out to fine tune your dish. As Fezmid always points out, typically when the signal drops frequently or easily, it's because the physical dish needs to be adjusted a bit. If I were you I'd get rid of the cable and keep the DTV!

have to disagree. there are situations where it's impossible to get a consistent strong satellite signal. finally had an honest installer tell me last year that there wasn't a way to get one at my house and he made it official with dtv.. 40+ foot trees in south yard and in mountainous area. i think a lot of areas have as good a chance for good OTA reception as good satellite but no one even considers this any more. directtv and the cable co's have some of the worst customer service ratings in any business. it's worth at least considering dumping them all together or having as little to do with them as possible (ie not signing a 2 year contract). now in the op's case, he needs to check with directtv whether they'll even sell him the stand alone sunday ticket to go deal since they are known to get squirrely with this but barring the technical difficulties they had last year, i think that's a good plan. i should also mention that a pc connection to the tv probably won't provide sound to the tv, at least it didn't to my projector's little built in speaker. i listen to a tinny computer speaker with huge picture. not ideal but functional.

have to disagree. there are situations where it's impossible to get a consistent strong satellite signal. finally had an honest installer tell me last year that there wasn't a way to get one at my house and he made it official with dtv.. 40+ foot trees in south yard and in mountainous area. i think a lot of areas have as good a chance for good OTA reception as good satellite but no one even considers this any more. directtv and the cable co's have some of the worst customer service ratings in any business. it's worth at least considering dumping them all together or having as little to do with them as possible (ie not signing a 2 year contract). now in the op's case, he needs to check with directtv whether they'll even sell him the stand alone sunday ticket to go deal since they are known to get squirrely with this but barring the technical difficulties they had last year, i think that's a good plan. i should also mention that a pc connection to the tv probably won't provide sound to the tv, at least it didn't to my projector's little built in speaker. i listen to a tinny computer speaker with huge picture. not ideal but functional.

If it's a physical barrier, then yeah, it can definitely be the fly in the ointment....but I assumed this wasn't a tree issue or else chances are DTV wouldn't have installed him to begin with. They typically need to establish a miminum signal strength in order to install. As for customer service, I have experienced that sort of thing as well, but my current experience with DTV has been nothing short of fantastic. The current CEO has taken steps to ensure that the product is solid from top to bottom and I'm thrilled with the service.