Ricky Williams

MattyT

Dolphins | Williams May File for Bankruptcy - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:24:08 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, citing an ESPN report, reports former Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams may file bankruptcy in hope of avoiding repaying the Dolphins $8.6 million the team is trying to recoup from him due to his retirement. The Dolphins sent Williams a letter that he needed to report by Monday, Aug. 30, or they would begin the process of recouping the money. Williams, of course, did not report to the team.

------

Does anyone know Ricky's justification for keeping the money? Under what circumstances does he think that he has earned it?

These aren't the actions of a man who is planning on returning to the league any time soon. This is a pretty big bridge to burn.

What a jerkoff. I hate the Dolphins, but this guy is obviously trying to pull some BS to be able to keep the dolphin's money. I highly doubt that he's actually bankrupt, and any smidget of morality would tell you this is a wrong thing to do (hopefully the law will as well).

it makes PERFECT sense.

Ricky knows he still has earnings potential. Most people that go bankrupt dont have half of an NFL career left ahead of them. It is financially devistating to those people. However, if Ricky goes bankrupt now, liquidates his assets, etc, and Miami sues him for that money he owes, they get nothing. Then he just rebuilds his wealth with one or two seasons in Oakland, and voila.

Im sure he talked to an accountant about this. Dont worry. Ricky will be alright...

it makes PERFECT sense.

Ricky knows he still has earnings potential. Most people that go bankrupt dont have half of an NFL career left ahead of them. It is financially devistating to those people. However, if Ricky goes bankrupt now, liquidates his assets, etc, and Miami sues him for that money he owes, they get nothing. Then he just rebuilds his wealth with one or two seasons in Oakland, and voila.

Im sure he talked to an accountant about this. Dont worry. Ricky will be alright...

13480[/snapback]

Maybe I didn't make myself clear....I don't give a crap about Ricky's well being. This is a lowlife move and it warrants no praise or respect.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear....I don't give a crap about Ricky's well being. This is a lowlife move and it warrants no praise or respect.

13486[/snapback]

Oh absolutly. Its the biggest scumbag move he can do. But, he's obviously not worrying about winning a nobel prize of any sort, so....

What a role model.

He quits b/c he's a pot head and can't pass a drug test, plays it off like he wants to spend more time with his family but in truth he just wants to smoke more bud, he hides behind his family, then when he can't keep the money he plans to file for bankruptcy so he doesn't have to pay back money he didn't earn.

What a piece of garbage.

Dolphins | Williams May File for Bankruptcy - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:24:08 -0700

Does anyone know Ricky's justification for keeping the money? Under what circumstances does he think that he has earned it?

These aren't the actions of a man who is planning on returning to the league any time soon. This is a pretty big bridge to burn.

13465[/snapback]

why should he give it back?? it was a signing bonus. he signed and played. he was there work horse for 2 years. just cus he retired, doesnt mean he shoudl give it all back. it just means the team wont pay him the rest of his money.

i figure, if the team can cut you with no warning to avoid paying you a few mil in bonuses, than you can retire and leave when you want to.

and there is no WAY IN HELL they will get his bonus money he got from the SAINTS!!!!!

The bonus typically means you agree to the terms of the contract. If you renig on the contract you can go after inital payment.

The Phins aren't just doing it out of spite.....well, they probably are but they have a case.

What a jerkoff.  I hate the Dolphins, but this guy is obviously trying to pull some BS to be able to keep the dolphin's money.  I highly doubt that he's actually bankrupt, and any smidget of morality would tell you this is a wrong thing to do (hopefully the law will as well).

13478[/snapback]

Agreed, I hate the Dolphins, but he is swindling the team out of their money. He doesn't deserve that cash. I know this kind of thing has happened before and it isn't a precedent, but this is much higher profile. If he gets away with it, this could have serious ramifications as to how the teams structure contracts

Go Bills

why should he give it back?? it was a signing bonus. he signed and played. he was there work horse for 2 years. just cus he retired, doesnt mean he shoudl give it all back. it just means the team wont pay him the rest of his money.

i figure, if the team can cut you with no warning to avoid paying you a few mil in bonuses, than you can retire and leave when you want to.

and there is no WAY IN HELL they will get his bonus money he got from the SAINTS!!!!!

13523[/snapback]

Prove to me that he met the terms of his contract and then we can talk. <_<

How much of his signing bonus do you think he has left? I'm sure he has some of it, but he probably has spent the majority on houses, cars, travel, and bud. There is no way that he has all of the money to pay back the Phins. Probably any lawyer would have advised him to file bankruptcy, not just scumbag ones.

I'm not justifying what he's doing, just making the point that he doesn't have many options if someone is suing him for more than he has.