Footballguys.com analysis of the Bills

Didn't see this posted and thought it was an interesting read - mostly from a fantasy football perspective, but still good overall.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12teamreport-buf.php

"The Bills have the potential to field one of the best defensive lines in the league next year. The main reason for that is the surprising addition of Mario Williams in free agency, an elite pass rusher in the prime of his career."

Aside from section in bold I mostly agree:

The Bills were a middle of the road defense against the pass but did a great job generating turnovers, tying for 6th in the league with 20. The AFC East is pretty weak right now in terms of quarterbacks. Yes, you have
, but
and whomever throws the ball for Miami won't be huge threats. The opportunistic safeties accounted for most of the turnovers last year, and you can expect more of the same from Jarius Byrd and
is rock solid at cornerback as is
On the whole this is a decent defense. With the editions they've made this offseason, it has the potential to be a very good fantasy starter, especially if the turnovers stay stable and the sacks go up as it looks like they will.

Florence is solidly not on the team (I suppose he could be resigned on roster if injury occurs post game 1 like Corner was in 2011) and I would not call McKelvin "solid". I do like the newest EDITION of defense especially the ADDITIONS (editor does not know difference between words).

The Bills were a middle of the road defense against the pass but did a great job generating turnovers, tying for 6th in the league with 20. The AFC East is pretty weak right now in terms of quarterbacks. Yes, you have
, but
and whomever throws the ball for Miami won't be huge threats. The opportunistic safeties accounted for most of the turnovers last year, and you can expect more of the same from Jarius Byrd and
On the whole this is a decent defense. With the editions they've made this offseason, it has the potential to be a very good fantasy starter, especially if the turnovers stay stable and the sacks go up as it looks like they will.

Florence is solidly not on the team (I suppose he could be resigned on roster if injury occurs post game 1 like Corner was in 2011) and I would not call McKelvin "solid". I do like the newest EDITION of defense especially the ADDITIONS (editor does not know difference between words).

Not for nothing, but unless something happened recently, Florence signed with the San Diego Chargers.

, but

Yeah, I saw that -- the overall portion must've been boilerplate or something, because if you read the section specifically on defensive backs, they note that Florence was released. They have Gilmore and Williams starting.

Very astute analysis. So Mario is expected to contribute? Brilliant.

They covered the entire team, I just quoted the defensive line because, frankly, it's our biggest addition. :rolleyes:

Ruvell Martin is reliable and has good hands??? When did this happen?

Derek Hagan couldn't stay healthy? Raiders cut him when TJ Howsyourmama became available, and we signed him in late November... I don't think he was injured at all.

Darius and Jarius - that's just really bad, especially when they get both right in other parts of the article.

Derek Hagan couldn't stay healthy? Raiders cut him when TJ Howsyourmama became available, and we signed him in late November... I don't think he was injured at all.Darius and Jarius - that's just really bad, especially when they get both right in other parts of the article.

Derek Hagan really impressed me late in the season...and, after re-watching the Raiders game from earlier in the season, he wasn't too shabby as a Raider either...if you recall, he started that game against Buffalo, becasue they had a multitude of injuries to their starting receivers...he had a nice game...granted it was against the 2011 Bills defense. Hagan is my dark horse pleasent "surprise" player of the year, for the Bills. In the final 5 or 6 weeks of the season, he often looked, to me, like the most motivated player on the Bills offense...he wants to make a roster, and stick.

, but

Derek Hagan couldn't stay healthy? Raiders cut him when TJ Howsyourmama became available, and we signed him in late November... I don't think he was injured at all.

Darius and Jarius - that's just really bad, especially when they get both right in other parts of the article.

They have this neato tool for fantasy football geeks. That lets you plug in your players and league settings and then rates your team.

I like to do it each year, just because the suggestions for possible pick-ups are interesting.

Their ratings and analysis are not top of the pile when it comes to the cottage industry of fantasy football advice.

This report is worrisome. Calling McKelcin, and Florence solid and saying that Ruvell Martin has good hands is a joke. They're clearly just completely BS-ing and have no idea anything about on the field play.

Derek Hagan really impressed me late in the season...and, after re-watching the Raiders game from earlier in the season, he wasn't too shabby as a Raider either...if you recall, he started that game against Buffalo, becasue they had a multitude of injuries to their starting receivers...he had a nice game...granted it was against the 2011 Bills defense. Hagan is my dark horse pleasent "surprise" player of the year, for the Bills. In the final 5 or 6 weeks of the season, he often looked, to me, like the most motivated player on the Bills offense...he wants to make a roster, and stick.

Agreed. After that week 2 performance against us I was actually pretty psyched that he became available and that we picked him up. Then he did a real nice job in the season finale after Johnson was benched. I'd be a happy guy if Ruvell Martin never lined up for another offensive play for the Bills. He's an OK special teams gunner, but an awful WR.

Agreed. After that week 2 performance against us I was actually pretty psyched that he became available and that we picked him up. Then he did a real nice job in the season finale after Johnson was benched. I'd be a happy guy if Ruvell Martin never lined up for another offensive play for the Bills. He's an OK special teams gunner, but an awful WR.

I will be the first to admit, when I am watching games live, I am not always as observant, as I kind of get caught up in the emotion of the game...but when you rewatch later, knowing the outcome, you (or at least I) notice things I didn't pick up on at first glance. That said, I have also noticed that Donald Jones is not as bad as he was made out to be, during the season. You remember some big drops, but kind of forget about some of the nice catches...I am fully behind Fitzpatrick, so I don't mean this as a knock...but if he a little more accurate, his receivers are all that much more effective. Fitz kind of mentioned that in the PC he did after the OTA this week (posted on BB.COM)...when talking about his work with Lee, he says that he has always "just thrown the ball", and never has really had anyone coaching him on his mechanics...Fitz acknowledges, in the interview, there is a difference between throwing a completion and a well thrown pass.

I wouldn't object to the Bills signing a vet free agent (if there was one actually worth signing) but I think, maybe, our WR group is better than they have shown, so far. Hagan and Jones have some tools...if Easley can stay healthy (big IF, I know) that could just add more talent to the pool.

Thanks, Buftex. I've laid low this off season about liking Jones as our starting 2nd WR, but he's taking a lot of crap around here. Great 1st step and separating speed, IMO. When he was lost for the year, the bottom fell out on a very promising passing game. Even with the OL injuries, Fitzgerald still had some time but the mid to deep stuff disappeared and defenses jumped on all our short crossing routes.

I saw enough to expect great things out of Jones. We'll see..

Thanks, Buftex. I've laid low this off season about liking Jones as our starting 2nd WR, but he's taking a lot of crap around here. Great 1st step and separating speed, IMO. When he was lost for the year, the bottom fell out on a very promising passing game. Even with the OL injuries, Fitzgerald still had some time but the mid to deep stuff disappeared and defenses jumped on all our short crossing routes.

I saw enough to expect great things out of Jones. We'll see..

All that's true except he cant actually catch. Imagine you gave all you mentions plus the ability to catch.

That's what id prefer.

There were some other injuries that added yo the decline. It wasn't just jones.