If Buffalo is to become one of six afc playoff teams

Keep in mind that we'd be replacing a wild card or the Patriots. Buffalo can't just take the spot of Denver or Houston, for example. In order to make the playoffs, we need 10 wins and a strong showing against our division rivals

Could the addition of Mario Williams and the retiring of Matt Light result in a split between the two? Should they sweep the Dolfins? split the Jets? That's four wins out of six. A strong divisional showing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at it I say we replace SD

Since SD didn't make the playoffs last year, that's not worth a heck of a lot.

The Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all will beat on each other throughout the year. no way do all 3 teams in that division finish with 10 wins.

Agreed, particularly because their schedules have gotten harder.

As I said earlier, if we acknowledge a division championship is unlikely (the Pats* schedule is too damned easy), this is all about beating out the Jets, and finishing better than the 3rd place team in the North. Why? Because the 2nd place team in the South will be horrible (Ten, Jax, Indy), and the West plays a very tough schedule so I'm predicting the champ of that division will only have 10 wins.

So...if the Bills can get to 10 wins, and that includes finishing higher than the Jets, they only need to hope the 3rd place finisher in the North is 9-7 or worse because they won't have competition from the other two divisions (probably).

The question is which team the Bills will replace.

There are only 4 possible correct answers:

Patriots

Steelers

Ravens

Bengals

IE, we either win the division, or take one of the two wildcard spots the North had both of last year. Any other answer isn't a proper answer to the question.

Since the OP specified "IF" Buffalo makes the playoffs - the fifth logical possibility - that they replace none of the above, also doesn't apply.

I say the Bills beat out the Pats for the division, but they still make it as a wild card. I can't decide which North team will fail though, so I'm not really answering the question either! :rolleyes:

OK - I'll go with the Ravens - losing Suggs hurts and they are starting to lose faith in Flacco.

Edited by BobChalmers

My Bills division title shirt is looking kinda beat down. It's high time for another shirt.

The Bills beat the Pats once, and had a 21-0 lead on them in the second game. If the Bills have q 21-0 lead with there D-line that looks pretty good to me.

To me the normal state of affairs in the AFC is

2 teams from East

2 from Central

1 from South

1 from West

It was unusual the East didn't get two teams in last year.

The South is clearly too weak to have two teams - it's the Texans and that's it. Titans have a small chance of being mildly competitive. In the West, they fight each other so much that, while SD, KC and Denver may all be competitive, only one will make it with not that great a record. Probably Peyton gets Denver past the other two - SD is on the way down.

So, basically, the Bills have to beat out the Jets and Dolphins with a good (10+ win) record and I believe they'll make it.