THE BAD NEWS about FRED from Bull and Schlep

Schoop can be short-tempered at times, maybe impatient is the right word, but this whole thing about him not liking football in Buffalo is way overblown. He is admittedly a bigger hockey fan than a football fan. So what? That doesn't disqualify him as a Sports-talk radio guy. In fact, if anything, it might make him a bit more objective when it comes to the Bills, which can be a good thing.

I don't listen to them that much, and admittedly, some of the stuff they do is kind of lame. But I think Schoop is pretty smart and I actually like it when he gets edgy with people when they rant and say very little that is coherent or intelligent. Filling 4 hours and sometimes more in a town without the NBA and MLB can be tough. That's what led Mike to say that the bad news about extending Freddy is it was a no-brainer high-five moment and that they came on early with nothing to get the phones ringing.

I don't care if he like the NHL more. But I heard him say he wasn't really a football fan. To have a guy that things like that in a primetime radio slot is a joke and it's minor league. He would never have a job in Pittsburgh saying something like that. I hate that because it's Buffalo, we have to settle for 2nd rate. And he needs to stop thinking he is smarter than people. He is a sports radio host in Buffalo. Get off you high horse.

Dude, lighten up. They were just trying to be funny. For a radio call in show, a story like this is boring. If it is a controversial subject, they will get more callers. If everyone agrees, less people will call and the ones that do will be lame.

I don't care if he like the NHL more. But I heard him say he wasn't really a football fan. To have a guy that things like that in a primetime radio slot is a joke and it's minor league. He would never have a job in Pittsburgh saying something like that. I hate that because it's Buffalo, we have to settle for 2nd rate. And he needs to stop thinking he is smarter than people. He is a sports radio host in Buffalo. Get off you high horse.

Well first of all, I disagree that he NEEDS to be a homer in order to be a sports personality in this town. We have plenty of the them anyway. And I also disagree that he couldn't have a job somewhere else if he for example admitted he was a big Penguins fan and wasn't as crazy about football. SO WHAT? I'm not a big NBA fan and if Buffalo had an NBA team I would certainly want them to do well and would be proud if they did, but I would be far more interested in Hockey and Football.

Another newsflash, most radio personalities don't grow up in the towns they end up working in. So to expect him to have the bleeding blue passion that most of us have is simply not realistic. I find it refreshing that he doesn't pretend that he does. His job is to create reasons for people to call in and argue for 4 hours, 5 days a week, not to cheerlead for the Bills. Besides, he has never said he doesn't like the Bills, or he doesn't care if they do well. I've heard many times get really frustrated with the losing and the way the organization was being run.

And BTW, like it or not, he IS smarter than most of the people that call into their show.

Edited by BuffaloBob

Schoop can be short-tempered at times, maybe impatient is the right word, but this whole thing about him not liking football in Buffalo is way overblown. He is admittedly a bigger hockey fan than a football fan. So what? That doesn't disqualify him as a Sports-talk radio guy. In fact, if anything, it might make him a bit more objective when it comes to the Bills, which can be a good thing.

I don't listen to them that much, and admittedly, some of the stuff they do is kind of lame. But I think Schoop is pretty smart and I actually like it when he gets edgy with people when they rant and say very little that is coherent or intelligent. Filling 4 hours and sometimes more in a town without the NBA and MLB can be tough. That's what led Mike to say that the bad news about extending Freddy is it was a no-brainer high-five moment and that they came on early with nothing to get the phones ringing.

I totally agree with this. He has stated many times that it isn't football or the Bills he doesn't like, it's that the Bills have been so irrelevant for years that there is nothing interesting to talk about with them. I think this past offseason has changed all that. He is more of a hockey and baseball fan for sure (and maybe tennis too), but I believe he likes football and the Bills. He just wants to do interesting radio about an interesting team.

Well first of all, I disagree that he NEEDS to be a homer in order to be a sports personality in this town. We have plenty of the them anyway. And I also disagree that he couldn't have a job somewhere else if he for example admitted he was a big Penguins fan and wasn't as crazy about football. SO WHAT? I'm not a big NBA fan and if Buffalo had an NBA team I would certainly want them to do well and would be proud if they did, but I would be far more interested in Hockey and Football.

Another newsflash, most radio personalities don't grow up in the towns they end up working in. So to expect him to have the bleeding blue passion that most of us have is simply not realistic. I find it refreshing that he doesn't pretend that he does. His job is to create reasons for people to call in and argue for 4 hours, 5 days a week, not to cheerlead for the Bills. Besides, he has never said he doesn't like the Bills, or he doesn't care if they do well. I've heard many times get really frustrated with the losing and the way the organization was being run.

And BTW, like it or not, he IS smarter than most of the people that call into their show.

1) Never said he needed to be a homer. Don't know where you pulled that from. But do I expect someone better than someone who says he doesn't like football in a city with a NFL team? You're damn right. It's a flat out joke that he covers the team.

2) He grew up in Grand Island.

3) How do you know he's smarter? Because he says he is? I love sports but he is in one of hte biggest joke professions and probably doesn't make a ton of money. Let's not pretend like sports radio hosts are changing the world.

I totally agree with this. He has stated many times that it isn't football or the Bills he doesn't like, it's that the Bills have been so irrelevant for years that there is nothing interesting to talk about with them. I think this past offseason has changed all that. He is more of a hockey and baseball fan for sure (and maybe tennis too), but I believe he likes football and the Bills. He just wants to do interesting radio about an interesting team.

Then talk other sports. God forbidden they talk about basketball (we sell out the NCAAS every time there here and have the largest Gus Macker tourney in the country) or other sports. I'm sorry but it's minor league sports talk but people in Buffalo just settle for things. I really just listen to podcasts anyway but it would be nice to actually have people who know the game on the radio.

Ok ... I listened to the news conference and then my stomach started churning because BULL and SCHLEP were the ones who came on the air. And, then I had to hear "the bad news" element of their report.

The bad news element was plain foolishness just the two of them always searching for a list to go over rather than talking football with evidence that they know what's going on with the Bills or any other sports.

Just who gave these guys their jobs? They decided to try to make themselves more important that the story.

Alright need to turn them off because now they are getting into Spiller's role proving that they don't understand football ("the ratio").

Final note ... WAY TO GO BUDDY!!! You kept your word ... the BILLS are on the move!

Your reacting to what they said so they did their job well. That being said, they are two of the biggest tools on the planet. Buffalo sports talk is awful.

1) Never said he needed to be a homer. Don't know where you pulled that from. But do I expect someone better than someone who says he doesn't like football in a city with a NFL team? You're damn right. It's a flat out joke that he covers the team.

2) He grew up in Grand Island.

3) How do you know he's smarter? Because he says he is? I love sports but he is in one of hte biggest joke professions and probably doesn't make a ton of money. Let's not pretend like sports radio hosts are changing the world.

Then talk other sports. God forbidden they talk about basketball (we sell out the NCAAS every time there here and have the largest Gus Macker tourney in the country) or other sports. I'm sorry but it's minor league sports talk but people in Buffalo just settle for things. I really just listen to podcasts anyway but it would be nice to actually have people who know the game on the radio.

Well, you seemed to insist that he love football and the Bills in order to be qualified to cover them. That sort of sounds like a homer. And BTW he never said he DISLIKED football. He's just not as passionate about as he is hockey. Once again, so what?

Didn't know he grew up in Grand Island, but I guess I know a lot of Buffalonians who couldn't care less about the Bills, so not a shock.

I KNOW that he's smarter just based on the conversations. Many of the points he makes are over the heads of the idiots who call in and argue with him. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to detect that. And I also have heard many times that when callers have something nuanced to say, he gives them credit for that.

Anyway, so you don't like him. That's cool. Just don't listen to him. It's all good.

Edited by BuffaloBob

If you want a debate about BAD sports talk let's have it. Across North America it is terrible. Really slap dash and poor IMO. Way too much yakking from presenters with badly researched opinions and wayyy too often it's just a single presenter giving asinine views with lots of silent parts (Cowherd and Rome being prime examples).

I miss one thing about the UK as much as friends and family: BBC Radio 5 Live.

First they said the good news is that <listed all the positives of FJax> and then they said the bad news part is .... that they cannot think of anything negative to say about FJax or the extension. Or how they cannot imagine any BIlls fan not liking this deal.

Kinda lame ...

The bad news is .... they (Bull and Schlep) have jobs.