Puzzle of the Day

Some of you might remember I used to post these daily puzzles from one of those desk calendars. But it became too much of a PITA to take a picture of the page, email it to myself, upload it to a site, etc...yada yada yada I'm lazy, sorry.

But here is one from a few days ago that I was pretty sure I nailed but I got the second part wrong. I've looked at it several times and I think they messed up and printed the wrong answer. But who am I to against the Mensa Puzzle Calendar people... :ph34r:

Somebody give it a shot.

Puzzle

Some of you might remember I used to post these daily puzzles from one of those desk calendars. But it became too much of a PITA to take a picture of the page, email it to myself, upload it to a site, etc...yada yada yada I'm lazy, sorry.

But here is one from a few days ago that I was pretty sure I nailed but I got the second part wrong. I've looked at it several times and I think they messed up and printed the wrong answer. But who am I to against the Mensa Puzzle Calendar people... :ph34r:

Somebody give it a shot.

Puzzle

Without double checking, I count 18 sets. And the box just to the left of dead-center is the one to alter?

i think i got 7...maybe 8...kind of lost track on my way from one screen to this one

never mind...didn't real ALL the instructions.... :oops:

Somebody give it a shot.

Puzzle

Edited by The Poojer

Without double checking, I count 18 sets. And the box just to the left of dead-center is the one to alter?

I got 17 sets, and I agree with the one to change . . .

OK, good. There are actually 19 sets (which I confirmed) so you guys are just missing on or two.

But as to the second one, I agree with you. Here was the answer they gave:

Answer:19

Replace the double circle in the first row, second column, to reduce the net count by 1. Replacing any of the other double circles leads to a net gain of zero or 1.

I agree that replacing that one reduces it by one, but replacing the one that we picked reduces it by two right? I was wondering if I was missing something...

The sets thing was interesting. I slipped up and lost count before doing the diagonals and had to start over, but I did wind up with those 19.

And yeah, that has to be a typo. If you change the cell they listed, it looks like there's no change in the count. If I'm eyeing this up correctly, the cell everyone else has mentioned is the only one that actually leads to a decrease in the count.