Conservatism Linked to Low Brain Power

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this article the other day and didn't think it even deserved comment, I'm surprised it's picked up steam. This would be weak for a HS newspaper story; this is amateur hour from the word go.

First, the samples on all of these are less than 100. Anyone who's taken statistics knows that's far too small to draw any kind of reasonable conclusion from.

Secondly, the conclusion drawn from the results is somewhat arbitrary. Maybe people who have been drinking are more inclined to turn off their politically correct filter and tell you how they really feel.

Third, they presume none of the people surveyed have ever contemplated these matters prior to having some (*^*&%^$^#taking a survey pose the question.

These are just the three biggest flaws that jumped out at me. The way they define conservatism and the questions they ask leave something to be desired as well.

I saw this article the other day and didn't think it even deserved comment, I'm surprised it's picked up steam. This would be weak for a HS newspaper story; this is amateur hour from the word go.

First, the samples on all of these are less than 100. Anyone who's taken statistics knows that's far too small to draw any kind of reasonable conclusion from.

Secondly, the conclusion drawn from the results is somewhat arbitrary. Maybe people who have been drinking are more inclined to turn off their politically correct filter and tell you how they really feel.

Third, they presume none of the people surveyed have ever contemplated these matters prior to having some (*^*&%^$^#taking a survey pose the question.

These are just the three biggest flaws that jumped out at me. The way they define conservatism and the questions they ask leave something to be desired as well.

Contrast that to this that I linked to earlier in this thread in which the survey is linked and questions were stated, etc.

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/06/24/ignorance-is-liberal-bliss

Edited by 3rdnlng