Drafting a QB in later rounds

Okay, we all dream. I am dreaming that we have a good draft this year. We get a quality CB,WR,LOT and get some solid backup depth. But the missing piece will be QB. Trying to make my imaginary draft picks I look for developmental QBs in the mid rounds. Maybe next year we get our QB. Then I researched. Other than a lucky fluke like Brady, I found this article about drafting a QB in the later rounds. Quite an eye opener. Wow! So much for wasting a mid round pick on a VERY long gamble.

Starting QB's by Position Drafted

Okay, we all dream. I am dreaming that we have a good draft this year. We get a quality CB,WR,LOT and get some solid backup depth. But the missing piece will be QB. Trying to make my imaginary draft picks I look for developmental QBs in the mid rounds. Maybe next year we get our QB. Then I researched. Other than a lucky fluke like Brady, I found this article about drafting a QB in the later rounds. Quite an eye opener. Wow! So much for wasting a mid round pick on a VERY long gamble.

Starting QB's by Position Drafted

In a 13 year stretch (91-03), 27 QBs were taken in the first round. Only 7 were what might be considered "franchise QBs"--and that's only if you include Culpepper and Palmer.

Recently, we've seen Tebow, Gabbert (maybe too early, but a reach, it seems), Quinn, Leinart, Russell, Young, JPL, and likely Campbell--that's 8 of the last 19. 2 more are backups (may become starters--Locker, Ponder), and one (Alex Smith) witnessed his team desperately trying to replace him with P. Manning.

Overall, roughly 16 franchise type QBs out of 47 selected in the past 21 years. Is taking a flyer on an intriguing QB in the middle rounds really more of a risk than spending a first rounder with a 1 in 3 chance that he's your guy at QB?

Edited by Mr. WEO

In a 13 year stretch (91-03), 27 QBs were taken in the first round. Only 7 were what might be considered "franchise QBs"--and that's only if you include Culpepper and Palmer.

Recently, we've seen Tebow, Gabbert (maybe too early, but a reach, it seems), Quinn, Leinart, Russell, Young, JPL, and likely Campbell--that's 8 of the last 19. 2 more are backups (may become starters--Locker, Ponder), and one (Alex Smith) witnessed his team desperately trying to replace him with P. Manning.

Overall, roughly 16 franchise type QBs out of 47 selected in the past 21 years. Is taking a flyer on an intriguing QB in the middle rounds really more of a risk than spending a first rounder with a 1 in 3 chance that he's your guy at QB?

This is a good analysis...There does appear to be som epretty QB's available in rounds 2-5 this year....Foles from U of A, Kellen Moore from Boise and Ryna Lindley from San Diego State all have real NFL Potential in later rounds. I think we will grab one in round 4 with our extra pick....

If I were king aham GM I would draft a QB in the middle to late rounds every year weather I need one or not. If he's crap no one cares if you cut him. If you hit the lottery with him you can keep him or trade him if you already have your starter.

If I were king aham GM I would draft a QB in the middle to late rounds every year weather I need one or not. If he's crap no one cares if you cut him. If you hit the lottery with him you can keep him or trade him if you already have your starter.

That's what the Packers GM did when they had Brett Favre.