Oil and Wealth

I have been bored so decided to get a pHd. It is in Society and I am almost done. I just have to write my dispenstation and I have begun it on the topic of oil and wealth. i wanted to run the theme by you guys and some of the conclusions to see if they make sense to you.

I will assert that countries which have a lot of oil under the ground have not historically become wealthy nations as a whole but that there are varying reasons for it.

I start out with the Middle East and point out that while the people at the top have become very wealthy, their fellow citizens have not due to the oppressive regimes. I go into a lot of detail with historical stuff.

I then move to Venezuela and point out their relatively recent foray into this market has been met with a "separate but equal" oppressive regime to those in the ME.

Where I think this dispensation will differ from most is that I then move on to the US and discuss how although a wealthy country with a relatively open system, the wealth potential from oil has been largely unused for various reasons and even though we are awesome we are like the other countries inasmuch as we have unrealized potential that can be attributed to oil.

Lastly I focus on Canada. This is a country rich in oil, with a government on paper at least that allows for a relatively high amount of freedom, drilling is happening and yet the plight of the masses remains horrifying. Yes, some of this can be attributed to the weather, but in fact most of it has to be laid at the feet of a population chock full of abject idiots. How can they not turn this good fortune into a better tomorrow for their children?

In summary I wonder aloud if having oil is somehow a curse in that not one nation, regardless of governmental system, has been able to tap its whole potential. Did the oil create the regimes in the ME and Venezuela? Did it cause us to look for reasons not to drill? Did it make the Canadians morons? These are complex and far reaching questions that I will attempt to answer.

Any thoughts?

I have been bored so decided to get a pHd. It is in Society and I am almost done. I just have to write my dispenstation and I have begun it on the topic of oil and wealth. i wanted to run the theme by you guys and some of the conclusions to see if they make sense to you.

I will assert that countries which have a lot of oil under the ground have not historically become wealthy nations as a whole but that there are varying reasons for it.

I start out with the Middle East and point out that while the people at the top have become very wealthy, their fellow citizens have not due to the oppressive regimes. I go into a lot of detail with historical stuff.

I then move to Venezuela and point out their relatively recent foray into this market has been met with a "separate but equal" oppressive regime to those in the ME.

Where I think this dispensation will differ from most is that I then move on to the US and discuss how although a wealthy country with a relatively open system, the wealth potential from oil has been largely unused for various reasons and even though we are awesome we are like the other countries inasmuch as we have unrealized potential that can be attributed to oil.

Lastly I focus on Canada. This is a country rich in oil, with a government on paper at least that allows for a relatively high amount of freedom, drilling is happening and yet the plight of the masses remains horrifying. Yes, some of this can be attributed to the weather, but in fact most of it has to be laid at the feet of a population chock full of abject idiots. How can they not turn this good fortune into a better tomorrow for their children?

In summary I wonder aloud if having oil is somehow a curse in that not one nation, regardless of governmental system, has been able to tap its whole potential. Did the oil create the regimes in the ME and Venezuela? Did it cause us to look for reasons not to drill? Did it make the Canadians morons? These are complex and far reaching questions that I will attempt to answer.

Any thoughts?

What plight of the masses are you talking about. This post is generally confusing.

The United States has not become wealthy? :blink:

Crayonz's contention is that the U.S., by not drilling to our full potential, escaped the burden of oil money and energy independence. As a country it has forced us to work harder and not live off the fruits of our ill begotten natural resources. It's made us turn to coal burning electric cars and bird killing windmills for 1% of our energy. Realistically if we can find a "fair" way to aportion that 1% we can get ourselves off of our addiction to oil and leave that possible trillion barrels of crude in the ground where it belongs.

Crayonz's contention is that the U.S., by not drilling to our full potential, escaped the burden of oil money and energy independence. As a country it has forced us to work harder and not live off the fruits of our ill begotten natural resources. It's made us turn to coal burning electric cars and bird killing windmills for 1% of our energy. Realistically if we can find a "fair" way to aportion that 1% we can get ourselves off of our addiction to oil and leave that possible trillion barrels of crude in the ground where it belongs.

We were the number one exporter of oil in the world at one time. I'm pretty sure we were drilling to full potential for the time

We were the number one exporter of oil in the world at one time. I'm pretty sure we were drilling to full potential for the time

Well, yes we should go back to those days of 1880. Did we export more than 500,000 barrels of oil? Regardless, you idiot, if we are not going to increase oil drilling we need to strip mine coal--all over the place.

Well, yes we should go back to those days of 1880. Did we export more than 500,000 barrels of oil? Regardless, you idiot, if we are not going to increase oil drilling we need to strip mine coal--all over the place.

What's better than watching people take crayonz so seriously they argue with him?

Watching people take crayonz SO seriously that they argue with each other about whether or not he has a point. :lol:

What's better than watching people take crayonz so seriously they argue with him?

Watching people take crayonz SO seriously that they argue with each other about whether or not he has a point. :lol:

Listen, you idiot and !@#$ing moron, if you aren't bright enough to see I was mocking your protege Davey I can't help you. You've already admitted in the past 24 hours that you've missed him and that somehow he completes you. I suggest you search what soul you may or may not have before your credibility reaches the level of Davey.

Any thoughts?

With Canada you have to take into account other factors. Their economy is still trying to recover from the break up of Terrance and Philip.

What plight of the masses are you talking about. This post is generally confusing.

Have you met a Canadian?????? Generally speaking they are toothless, dense, obsessed with hockey and Celine Dion and drunk. That sounds like a plight to me. Of all the countries that have large oil reserves, their economic system and generally open avenues to drilling should ensure a robust economy. I think their general dullness has them them back. Other countries have had different things hold them back.

You have this partly right. i think we should have a system that allows us to drill for our own oil and we would be more wealthy. I mistyped implying we weren't wealthy. We are, but not as wealthy as we can be. We have to rely on high priced oil from dictators, commies or dopes. That is truly the trouble trifecta.