Anyone Ever Been To Lucas Oil Stadium?

I want a friend of mine to come and watch a game with me in Buffalo (we both live in NYC). He said the only way he'll waste money on tickets is if it's Bills vs. Colts (he's a Colt fan obviously). Well just so happens that we play the Colts at Indianapolis this year and I wanted to know if any of you guys have ever been to the new stadium and how is it compared to Ralph Wilson Stadium (atmosphere wise) and if anyone can suggest where to sleep (hotel wise) and where to eat. We'll be driving up there as long as it's an early season game (anywhere between weeks 1-8).

Also I would like to hear of any other stadiums you guys have been to and the experience you had and suggestions on what stadium to at least visit once in my life.

well, i had a friend who went to a game in indy at their old place. he said it was really strange watching football inside, and that it was ever stranger how quiet the fans where when the team was on offense. peyton had them trained, he said it was like a library and if he farted his whole section would have heard it. thats all i got, hope it helps

well, i had a friend who went to a game in indy at their old place. he said it was really strange watching football inside, and that it was ever stranger how quiet the fans where when the team was on offense. peyton had them trained, he said it was like a library and if he farted his whole section would have heard it. thats all i got, hope it helps

Yeah I figured it would be very weird how quiet that crowd gets when the offense is on the field. I think even with Luck at QB the crowd knows to be quiet (unless we keep forcing 3 and outs). I want to go to at least 1 away stadium every year that I haven't been to yet.

So far I've only been to Giants stadium and now the new one they got, Met Life stadium.

I want a friend of mine to come and watch a game with me in Buffalo (we both live in NYC). He said the only way he'll waste money on tickets is if it's Bills vs. Colts (he's a Colt fan obviously). Well just so happens that we play the Colts at Indianapolis this year and I wanted to know if any of you guys have ever been to the new stadium and how is it compared to Ralph Wilson Stadium (atmosphere wise) and if anyone can suggest where to sleep (hotel wise) and where to eat. We'll be driving up there as long as it's an early season game (anywhere between weeks 1-8).

Also I would like to hear of any other stadiums you guys have been to and the experience you had and suggestions on what stadium to at least visit once in my life.

Recently moved back to WNY from Indianapolis, so I'll give you some pointers :)

Lucas Oil is an absolutely fantastic stadium, much better than the old dome. The parking is usually very plentiful and relatively close, and after this season it shouldn't be too tough to get tickets/parking :) It's absolutely beautiful from outside, and inside is very well organized and laid out. Tons of food and bathrooms. It definitely comes across as a bit more sterile than RWS, that's for sure. Just be sure to make sure your seats aren't in the top corners, for some reason they have some seats behind pillars. The tailgating is surprisingly good.

Hotel wise, there's plenty of nice places in Downtown itself, although they can get a bit pricey. It's not a big downtown, so everything is within walking distance. You might be better off staying slightly outside of downtown (Carmel/Castleton area which is to the north is nice and you can save a bit of $$). As far as eating, if you can make it to St. Elmo's, it can be worth the cost (I've never tried but heard great things about the shrimp cocktail), and you might actually run into a player or two depending on when you go. Circle Center Mall has lots of places to eat in and around it.

Hope that helps!

Recently moved back to WNY from Indianapolis, so I'll give you some pointers :)

Lucas Oil is an absolutely fantastic stadium, much better than the old dome. The parking is usually very plentiful and relatively close, and after this season it shouldn't be too tough to get tickets/parking :) It's absolutely beautiful from outside, and inside is very well organized and laid out. Tons of food and bathrooms. It definitely comes across as a bit more sterile than RWS, that's for sure. Just be sure to make sure your seats aren't in the top corners, for some reason they have some seats behind pillars. The tailgating is surprisingly good.

Hotel wise, there's plenty of nice places in Downtown itself, although they can get a bit pricey. It's not a big downtown, so everything is within walking distance. You might be better off staying slightly outside of downtown (Carmel/Castleton area which is to the north is nice and you can save a bit of $$). As far as eating, if you can make it to St. Elmo's, it can be worth the cost (I've never tried but heard great things about the shrimp cocktail), and you might actually run into a player or two depending on when you go. Circle Center Mall has lots of places to eat in and around it.

Hope that helps!

That actually helps a lot. Thanks bigIndy. Although I'm allergic to shrimp I still might check out the spot you said. I'm sure they have steak.

Hotel wise, there's plenty of nice places in Downtown itself, although they can get a bit pricey. It's not a big downtown, so everything is within walking distance.

That is my preference, stay close and be able to walk. My advice is check the hotel webpages out before the schedule comes out so you can figure where you want to stay. Then the instant the schedule comes out, make your reservation, don't delay or they may jack the price up before you can reserve. For the Bills home opener I've even made reservations on the first two weekends of the regular season, then cancelled the one I didn't need, just to make sure I got the lower price.

I used to live on the West Coast, I've visted many of the stadiums the Bills played at when they came to the west coast. Phoenix was very nice, stadium wise, but the tailgating was terrible. Too many restrictions on what you can and can't do in the parking lots. San Diego's tailgating was good, but the stadium is pretty horrible.

This year, since my friends a huge Browns fan, I'll be heading to Cleveland for the Bills game. I'm excited about that. I went to the Old Browns Stadium before they tore it down, so this newer stadium will be my first time.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I used to live on the West Coast, I've visted many of the stadiums the Bills played at when they came to the west coast. Phoenix was very nice, stadium wise, but the tailgating was terrible. Too many restrictions on what you can and can't do in the parking lots. San Diego's tailgating was good, but the stadium is pretty horrible.

This year, since my friends a huge Browns fan, I'll be heading to Cleveland for the Bills game. I'm excited about that. I went to the Old Browns Stadium before they tore it down, so this newer stadium will be my first time.

That's pretty cool (the Browns game you'll be going to). Hopefully it will be a win. I want to see if other teams are as passionate about football like our Buffalo fans are. Jets stadium and fans sure don't have a football vibe when you go to their stadium I can tell you first hand. It feels more like a baseball game and also feels like you're going shopping cuz everywhere you look they're selling something (Memorabilia, jerseys, footballs, cups, posters etc.) The tailgating also sucks there. There's just no room to throw a football comfortably. No green grass. You also need a parking pass or else it will be hell to catch a bus to the stadium.

I lived in South Florida in the 70's and was at the Orange Bowl many times for Bills/Dolhins games,

and well as other Dolphins games as well. Well they don't use that, at least the Dolpins anymore, and I do not have

any other comparison as that is the only one besides the Ralph that I have been too.

But that stadium, atmosphere, and layout reminded me very much of the Ralph.

People parking in front lawns and the stadium in sort of like a residential area.

Edited by Cookiemonster

I lived in South Florida in the 70's and was at the Orange Bowl many times for Bills/Dolhins games,

and well as other Dolphins games as well. Well they don't use that, at least the Dolpins anymore, and I do not have

any other comparison as that is the only one besides the Ralph that I have been too.

But that stadium, atmosphere, and layout reminded me very much of the Ralph.

People parking in front lawns and the stadium in sort of like a residential area.

There won't be anyone else who can say they've been to the Orange Bowl now, it's been torn down and replace with the new Marlins Stadium.

Besides the Ralph, I’ve been to games in Carolina and Jacksonville. Both had a completely different vibe than in Buffalo for sure. In Jax, the game I went to was a Thursday night back in maybe 2002…the year we went 3-13. Tailgating was average but that may have had to do with a weeknight game. The stadium was decent. Not trying to offend anyone but Jags fans are a joke. I spent much of the game making fun of their players and the Jags fans were laughing at my jokes and agreeing with me. Not one person told me to shut up or made fun of me or any of the Bills players. With about 2 minutes left in the game and the score tied at 10, just about every Jags fan got up and left to beat the traffic. By the time the Bills kicked the game winning field goal, they were all gone. Overall, I had a blast. It was a very family friendly environment and I would go back.

The game in Carolina was just a few years ago; when TO was with the Bills. Tailgating was a blast because it felt like it was almost all Bills fans. (I think half of Buffalo moved to Charlotte, myself included) I’ve been to a few other Panthers games against other teams and tailgating was kind of lame. The stadium is really nice and all seats have a good view. Parking is really spread out.

My experiences at these 2 stadiums are probably a lot different than most others would be since both of these teams are still relatively new and don’t really have that established of a fan base.

I still have the dream to one day go see the Bills play at Lambeau…that has got to be one of the ultimate NFL experiences. Anyone ever been there?

Besides the Ralph, I’ve been to games in Carolina and Jacksonville. Both had a completely different vibe than in Buffalo for sure. In Jax, the game I went to was a Thursday night back in maybe 2002…the year we went 3-13. Tailgating was average but that may have had to do with a weeknight game. The stadium was decent. Not trying to offend anyone but Jags fans are a joke. I spent much of the game making fun of their players and the Jags fans were laughing at my jokes and agreeing with me. Not one person told me to shut up or made fun of me or any of the Bills players. With about 2 minutes left in the game and the score tied at 10, just about every Jags fan got up and left to beat the traffic. By the time the Bills kicked the game winning field goal, they were all gone. Overall, I had a blast. It was a very family friendly environment and I would go back.

The game in Carolina was just a few years ago; when TO was with the Bills. Tailgating was a blast because it felt like it was almost all Bills fans. (I think half of Buffalo moved to Charlotte, myself included) I’ve been to a few other Panthers games against other teams and tailgating was kind of lame. The stadium is really nice and all seats have a good view. Parking is really spread out.

My experiences at these 2 stadiums are probably a lot different than most others would be since both of these teams are still relatively new and don’t really have that established of a fan base.

I still have the dream to one day go see the Bills play at Lambeau…that has got to be one of the ultimate NFL experiences. Anyone ever been there?

Your post definitely put Carolina on my check list of places to go.

Your post definitely put Carolina on my check list of places to go.

Excellent!!! Too bad it’ll be like 5-6 years before the Bills will be back in town.

I’ll share another great experience I’ve had at Panther’s stadium aka Bank of America Stadium. In 2004 they played the Giants in the preseason and I got some free tickets. By the 4th quarter, the stadium was basically empty so we went down and sat in the 1st row behind the Panthers bench. My buddy and I were a little rowdy and were chatting up some of the players and sideline reporter Pam Oliver to try and get some gear/mementos from them. The people behind us who actually paid for their seats were getting annoyed and telling us no one will give us anything, to go back to our seats, etc. With about a minute left in the game, their punter Todd Sauerbraun was kicking a few balls into the net by us and he started chatting with us. We asked him how far he could kick the ball and he replied by asking us if we thought it would be funny if he blasted the ball into the stands. I quickly replied blast the ball into the stands right here. That was right as the game ended. He laughed, tossed the ball to me and jogged off the field. I’ll never forget the looks on the faces of those people behind us…utter shock. My buddy gave them a thumbs down and wagged his tongue :nana: at them as we left.

I got married 10 days later in Orchard Park and we got our wedding pictures taken on the field at the Ralph (how cool is my wife to agree to that?!?!?!?!). Of course that ball is right there in all the group shots.

Excellent!!! Too bad it’ll be like 5-6 years before the Bills will be back in town.

I’ll share another great experience I’ve had at Panther’s stadium aka Bank of America Stadium. In 2004 they played the Giants in the preseason and I got some free tickets. By the 4th quarter, the stadium was basically empty so we went down and sat in the 1st row behind the Panthers bench. My buddy and I were a little rowdy and were chatting up some of the players and sideline reporter Pam Oliver to try and get some gear/mementos from them. The people behind us who actually paid for their seats were getting annoyed and telling us no one will give us anything, to go back to our seats, etc. With about a minute left in the game, their punter Todd Sauerbraun was kicking a few balls into the net by us and he started chatting with us. We asked him how far he could kick the ball and he replied by asking us if we thought it would be funny if he blasted the ball into the stands. I quickly replied blast the ball into the stands right here. That was right as the game ended. He laughed, tossed the ball to me and jogged off the field. I’ll never forget the looks on the faces of those people behind us…utter shock. My buddy gave them a thumbs down and wagged his tongue :nana: at them as we left.

I got married 10 days later in Orchard Park and we got our wedding pictures taken on the field at the Ralph (how cool is my wife to agree to that?!?!?!?!). Of course that ball is right there in all the group shots.

Pretty cool story bro congrats. But I believe the NFL changed the scheduling to teams will face an AFC and an NFC division other than your own division every year so every 4 years we should be playing the Panthers. I don't remember when we last played them which should mean we'll be playing them pretty soon. Now if it's home or away will be a mystery.