Left tackles

As much as people dismiss this pick because of our depth at Guard, I have to assume the Bills have spent so much money on the D-line this offseason because they didn't feel they could address it in the draft. Now, the Bills have also spent the last two drafts going heavy on defense. Sure, we still could use a CB and a really awesome LB, but for the most part, our defense is close to final.

On the other hand, our Offense has some polishing to do still: After watching the Nix approach to this team, I'm thinking his philosophy is to strengthen both sides of the ball from the interior of the lines outward. Now, we do have 3 capable guards already. One seems to be able to backup center pretty well, too. However - there is a difference between having one probowl caliber Guard and another good one, and having two probowl caliber guards - AND A CENTER! (not to mention, Levitre's contract is coming up soon, I believe). So, If Nix were to draft DeCastro in the first, and a promising LT in the second or third - we could see a line that is complete, absolutely loaded with talent, FOR THE MOST PART ALMOST COMPLETELY INTERCHANGEABLE!!! (Levitre can play LT, Hairston can play both LT and RT, Wood can play C and Guard, Decastro would be set at Guard) My point is - we'd have depth, if there were an injury anywhere we could move a piece here or there and still have a strong line. It would resolve the lines for good for maybe 5 years.

And, I have to believe, with our running backs as good as they are, with our defense now set to be a turnover machine, having a great O-line - Fitz would be given this year to prove he is consistent. IF HE PROVES HE ISN'T - AND WE'VE GIVEN HIM ALL HE COULD ASK FOR IN A LINE - THEN A ROOKIE QB COMING INTO THIS TEAM NEXT YEAR, WITH A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE UNDER THIS KIND OF LINE, NOT TO MENTION ANOTHER OFFSEASON TO PICK UP TE'S OR WR'S - I could easily see this as the plan. And it would be fine with me.

I'm not a big fan of picking a guard 10th overall. Even a very highly rated interior OL will normally be there for you in the lower part of the first round. (As Mangold was a few years back. Of course, the Bills chose McCargo instead . . . :( .)

Aside from which, the Bills are already pretty strong in the interior of the OL. They have Levitre, Wood, and Urbik. You pointed out that Levitre is coming up to the end of his contract. But if the plan is to let him go first-contract-and-out, and to use the 10th overall pick to draft his replacement, then they may as well fire everyone who agreed with that decision! :angry: Letting your best draft choices go first-contract-and-out is exactly the kind of boneheaded mistake which has been plaguing this organization since the late '90s! :angry:

The Bills should use the 10th overall player on a guy who will change the complexion of the team. Maybe that's a WR who can be productive despite being double-covered. Maybe that's a CB who can cover the other team's best WR one-on-one. Maybe that's a LT, assuming there's one available worthy of 10th overall. In a perfect world, the Bills would be able to trade the pick for choices in the 2013 draft; and would be able to use those choices on a franchise QB. Barring that, the Bills may be able to trade down out of the 10th overall pick, or perhaps they can trade up for the best LT in the draft. (I forget his name.) And yes, I realize Buddy doesn't like trading. But this might be as good a year as any for him to make an exception, especially if the right deal is available.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when he was 18 years old he was having better seasons than Most college WRs, that's your knock on him?

Keep digging.

I agree. He's one of the few guys that had 4 very productive years going deep, being a possession-type guy, pretty much everything asked of him with some pretty average QB play to boot.

I hate to make predictions, but I see Eric Moulds in this guy.

I'd rather have a big WR at the first pick, and work on the tackle through the rest of the draft, and picking up free agent scraps at this point. I feel like our system doesn't really need a super stout offensive line, as evidenced last year.

Hopefully over the next off season, we can pick up some OL talent, though.

We went 6-10, there is no evidence that we don't need anything anywhere

No. Five things could happen, though.

(1) Bell could re-sign and remain healthy for the second time in 5 seasons. (35% chance)

(2) Reiff (a RT most of his career) could slide to the Bills, and he or Hairston becomes a good LT (50%)

(3) Bills could move up and take Kalil. (5%)

(4) Bills could draft David DeCastro and move existing Guard Pears or Levitre to tackle. (5%)

(5) Bills could draft a 3rd or 4th round LT who makes good because of the line chemistry. (65%)

So the chances of drafting a 3rd or 4th round tackle being effective are greater than the chances of a 1st round pick being effective? Or are you just that down on Reiff in particular?

If the Bills go into the 2nd round looking for a left tackle it would be a disaster...

2nd guessers will have a field day with Buddy for not fixing the problem sooner...

Nix needs to find the solution to LT either before the draft or he needs to fix the problem fast during the draft.

He may need to trade draft picks to get one... No way do the Bills need a big hole at LT...

Bell has not re-signed.... why? Maybe he is not passing teams physicals ? I don't know... is he still injured?

I do not see a great LT beyond Kalil in the draft...But the problem still needs to be addressed early with a quality selection... I hope the interviews and player work outs at One Bills drive with the visiting players helps to solve the problem...

If Bell excepts the Bills current offer... it means he has to take a physical before he signs the contract...

I wonder if he still has health problems and that is why he is not signing up with any team? Just a question.