My thoughts on our first 3 picks

About 50% of the D snaps we were in nickle or dime coverage. So even if 1 goes down, it shouldn't be that noticeable. If we drop like fly's again we will notice. With the first 2 picks I would like to see us grab a WR and an LT (if Bell doesn't come back). If Bell comes back, I don't know where the draft depth for LT prospects are, but I could see us taking one around the 2nd/3rd round. That leaves our #1 open for WR and I would look at CB. Again I only say CB because I have more concern regarding 2 of our starters than I do reserve LBs (this off season at least). If we go CB at #10, I expect it to between the top rated WR and LT in rd#2 and the remaining getting scooped up in rd#3.

Us retaining McKelvin is doubtful and McGee is a question mark in regards to his health. If an impact one is there - I would be ok with us taking him this season and punting LB to next offseason. LBs are generally cheap to pick up as FAs as well, where CBs aren't. Again that is just my opinion and my thought process.

As I read more opinions, yes my thought process changes. I see a need for a big, physical, fast, possession, run-blocking WR with good hands as a huge need and a huge asset to the offense. I stand by the fact that if Floyd is there, we can't pass him up. LT is a huge need as well, we don't have one. CB is a very important position in this defense and at times there will be more of them on the field than LBs.

Going into the draft that is what my thought processes is. They have to be true to the board. If Floyd is there, we will go Floyd, LT, CB. If he is gone it might be Martin, WR, CB. If Claiborne fell or Kirkpatrick was there, it could very easily be CB, LT/WR,WR/LT. The longer we don't have an answer, the less likely the first rd CB is unless they have one of those CBs rated very high.

The earliest I could see LB come into play is in rd 3 and that would be at the expense of filling starting lineup/first reserve holes. Again it's jmo...

I will wager that we go OLB second round. a gentlemans bet of course. it's a tough draft to call even though we have narrowed our needs. at leas t from a fans perspective. by the way you have not lost credibility, we all have opinions some are more focused some more educated. I still respect your opinions and posts even though i differ on some content. makes for great dialogue eh?

One thing i should mention, do not be surprised if we do not take wr till 3rd unless one lands square on our ten or 41. I think, humbly, Chan thinks we are much better than we saw latter half of season and he will run offense on a budget this year. Wanny gets all the fluff and perks.IMHO haha! ps of course our opinions evolve as we learn more. growth my friend. lord knows i have a lot of room for it

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will wager that we go OLB second round. a gentlemans bet of course. it's a tough draft to call even though we have narrowed our needs. at leas t from a fans perspective. by the way you have not lost credibility, we all have opinions some are more focused some more educated. I still respect your opinions and posts even though i differ on some content. makes for great dialogue eh?

One thing i should mention, do not be surprised if we do not take wr till 3rd unless one lands square on our ten or 41. I think, humbly, Chan thinks we are much better than we saw latter half of season and he will run offense on a budget this year. Wanny gets all the fluff and perks.IMHO haha! ps of course our opinions evolve as we learn more. growth my friend. lord knows i have a lot of room for it

Honestly I can't believe this thread has last this long. This draft is very difficult to plot. After the first 6 picks or so, it is just a jumble of talented players and teams with lots of needs. Past drafts, the talent just fit better than this year.

As far as credibility and all that - I could care less. I try to share my opinions - take it or leave it. Calling a person an idiot or a moron gets you nowhere. I love the banter back and forth and discussions that we have here. It is all about trying to educate our selves the most about the team we love. We can disagree or agree on lots of things and everyone has a different feel for a way to build our team. It is great to be able to effectively prove your point and it is great to learn something new and concede your point. No need to be ab a$$hat about it.

I still honestly feel we did hardball Stevie. We were only $2 million apart from some point in the reg season to a week before FA. Looking at what happened in FA, he left a good junk of change on the table. I am happy he did as it helps the team become better and he wants to be here. I wasn't using the term like AJ Smith 'Hardballing', but we had a value in mind and stuck to it.

I will take your wager on the OLB in round 2. I would be shocked if it happens, but I have no idea how BPA falls; especially that far with a screwy hard to predict draft like this. After reading in a thread that Martin looked like crap in his proday, I am taking him off my list as a possible #10. There is another thread Astro posted in Left Tackles after round # Here is the link to page 2 of the thread. I am more convinced that we are going to grab one in rounds 3-5. I am more convinced of that now. I hope we can get a stop gap guy in to help us this season. With things looking like that, a good WR would make it easier to mask that hole...

Chan can run it on a budget, but there is no need to. I don't know for certain what we have in LBs, I am more inlined to run with what we have and look for them as value picks later. When it comes to playing Madden - I always get the best ones I can find (Although I run a 34 on D).

I really expect us to go:

#1 WR/CB

#2 CB/WR

#3 LT/BPA

#4 LT(if not taken in 3)/BPA on D

#4 BPA on D

#5 BPA on D

with the BPA on D being a pass rusher LB or CB/DB. Somewhere I would like us to find a better Bryan Scott type LB.

I am not perfect - but there is no one better!! LOL JK

Last time i looked we had 12.9million left that was before Scott and Anderson. Now i am not secure in saying that number is/was a fact and i do not clearly understand the details. But i think we are getting to the point that we will be able to sign all the draftees and not much beyond that. Our young linebackers were drafted for a 3-4 style excepting Sheppard. I expect to be corrected here. But we just did not see much drama from them last year. I did watch too! I think the lack of passs rush in the 3-4 is due too our linebcakers not be able to get pressure on the edges. That was part of the reason i guess we rotated so many players in.

White is a rookie Batten and Moats second year guys and Eddins i cant recall, injured?? and some De's that we put out there. the inside guys were reasonable and Barnett was awesome in my eye. None of the young guys stood out for me. now maybe/probably had something to with g edwards struggles. i think olb is a position of weakness based upon last year. now the move around with Kirk Nick and Kelvin might be just what the doctor ordered but i can see us dumping 3 LB before the season and picking up two.

As you say it all depends on how close the guys on our board land come pick time, but i still see this as a weak area. As i do LT, CB WR. as you have noticed i do like my defense and am partial i will freely admit. thanks for the opine. and you better get you Madden into a 40 front and maybe cover two soon if you want to beat the Pats again!

The fact that they focused on DE and WR in free agency, tells me that they consider these to be their most pressing needs. The fact that they didn't get a WR, and that there are no clear cut exceptional talents (at any position) at 10, leads me to believe that they will select a WR with it. Probably Floyd. I hope they can trade down, but that doesn't seem likely.

This draft is the most confounding for the Bills that I can ever recall. I wonder if they are working on other ways to get a WR or LT? Maybe a pre-draft trade involving players and draft picks. I don't know, they seem stuck in a weird place.

That cap space left sounds about right. I expect Edwards to be gone soon freeing up a bit, but we are pretty much done in FA aside from Bell or other transitional LT.

I really believe that going into last years draft, Edwards was already almost out the door. We hired Wanny (strictly a 43 guy) on Jan 21, 2011. I think they took LBs that could play in either front, even with Barnett's signing and the picking up of Morrison (a starter throughout his career) to ride the pine was an indication that a change was coming. Buddy has since made comments that finding players for the 34 was difficult yadda yadda yadda. It is just all this that makes me have a little bit of faith in their plan to change to back to the 43 and drafted and acquired players last year accordingly. I Sheppard was pretty damn good in college, I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. He is a second year player. Barnett was a nice pick up and I thought played well. Morrison, we will see how he is. My guess is he is the one who goes off in the nickle and dime coverage packages. Moats was coming around in 2010 as an outside backer and for whatever reason they stuck him inside for most of last year - that really screwed with him. Moving back outside, I would expect to see him to continue to develop. I have no clue what his ceiling is...

With what we have to work with this offseason and what we drafted last year, I just see us giving the LBs another year and see how they respond with a pass rush. This way we know exactly what holes and upgrades we need to fill/make. We have a solid secondary, but we know what we the issues are with Leodis and Terrence...

I love a dominant defense, I also want to impose my will on a defense. I would rather go more balanced this year and fix the remaining spots next season. How it all falls I can really care less as long as we get playmakers. We will be better this season - it the season after I am anxious for :)

The fact that they focused on DE and WR in free agency, tells me that they consider these to be their most pressing needs. The fact that they didn't get a WR, and that there are no clear cut exceptional talents (at any position) at 10, leads me to believe that they will select a WR with it. Probably Floyd. I hope they can trade down, but that doesn't seem likely.

This draft is the most confounding for the Bills that I can ever recall. I wonder if they are working on other ways to get a WR or LT? Maybe a pre-draft trade involving players and draft picks. I don't know, they seem stuck in a weird place.

LT is B word to address this draft and in FA. Even if we grab one they are going to be a project, so expect that to be the strong side of the line with Chandler or whatever TE is in and an RB to chip and possibly help from Livtre.