No Respect...and I like it.

I can already hear the headlines/ESPN intros: "Bills swing and miss", "With all that snow, no wonders they didn't land a FA", "Bills Brass loses out...again"

Ya know what...our team has character, they have resolve, our coaches and GM have some brains and our owner, despite his age, is revered as a founding member of the NFL (AFC at least). When teams like Washington buy 3 free agents, even though they have been penalized for cap violations, when Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones plaster their own mugs on the TV thinking they have scored a homerun on a pick or a FA signing, I like to think the Bills have made a serious attempt at wooing FA's (with in person meetings and dinner)in a classy fashion rather than a fax and a call.

This all leads me to the conclusion that the Bills may, in fact, be the underestimated team AGAIN...and I like it. It made victories that much sweeter, it made seeing Tom Brady yell at himself on the sidelines with a loud "&^$%#!!" all more enjoyable. I love the underdog role, I cherish the fact that "know it all" commentators like Brian Billick, Hasselback, Cowherd and others who start discussing football on a Monday questioning how the Bills could beat this team or that one.

Dareus is a leader, he knows what "humble" means, same with Freddie,Barnett, Woods, Fitz, even Stevie is maturing. This is a great core group of players. If we land the "whale" (Williams) I can only hope he doesn't upset the quiet humility these guys demonstrate on the field...they will be better, they will all be healthy. If Williams goes elsewhere for more money or for more fame, then I guess he would have never fit in with this group anyway. And when his team is 6-10 and he's wondering why the Bills are in the playoffs at 10-6, we can relish the "underdog" role again.

Bring on the Draft.

I thought about this earlier today. If we dont sign Mario (tho i really really want us to) I hope that motivates the rest of the team to show the rest of the league we are good and damnit were gonna line up and kick your ass anyway

Exactly...when we do kick some butt...can't wait to hear the know it alls the next morning. I think I'm looking forward to this season more than last because of this scenario playing out. I can see how Dareus, KW and even Merriman could take offense to someone playin "dickey dick" with our front office just to enhance their own contract with another team. I think they will be rabid if this Mario thing falls through and take it out on every team they meet to show the NFL Players that Buffalo is actually a nice place to play...these guys are seen as GODS in WNY. They just don't realize that yet.

I was living in NYC in 1990. I remember, just prior to SB XXV the Village Voice ran a great column about how the Buffalo Bills were really Amercia's team, and how the players on the team relished the fact that others in the league thought they played in a **** hole city...the idea was that it was the Bills, taking the down-trodden upstate city on their back, and saying FU to the rest of the NFL.

The article was accompanied by an awesome picture (which I have never been able to find again) of Cornelius Bennett, standing in the tunnel at some road game (all dressed in white) giving the double-finger salute to the opposing fans, obviously booing them... does anyone else remember this photo? I thought I might have dreamt it, but my old roommate remembers us having it hung on our refrigerator for a few months... before the internet saved everything! Of course, nowadays, Bennett would be suspended for a few game for such an infraction!

Edited by Buftex

Well said. I really like your view on the whole situation and i will take the same one if Super Mario doesnt sign :thumbsup: ... However, im curious as to whether Williams is enticed by the idea in playing in a big market. He doesnt seem to be a very outgoing person off the field who gathers attention from the media for the things he says. I cant recall one time where i ever heard about Mario being mentioned in the media for anything other than his outstanding play. So possibly it isnt an issue about the market where he plays so he can gain attention, but more of an issue as to where he fits best (and of course, money). Playing on a young d-line with 2 consistent pro bowl caliber players (Dareus will definitely play at a pro bowl level in the coming years) and a big name like Shawne Merriman (ya i know he's no where near his prime but he seems to still have respect around the league and there is always the hope he can get back to being a quality player) would create a dominant d-line for years to come and i cant find a better fit in the league from a team that can realistically afford him and are willing to make him reportedly the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. So to me it would be very logical for Williams to sign, however, they are still the Bills and are always getting screwed so im prepared for the worst. So if they get screwed...

Bring on the Draft.