Playing to Rest Players and Avoid Injuries

JohninMinn.

Exactly what would the Steelers have to gain by putting guys like Burress and Roethlisberger out there, in a game that is meaningless to them? Giving them this game off means they don't have to play for 3 weeks, which should help them recover to the point where they can be effective in the playoffs. If I were in the same position as Cowher, I'd sit both of them and maybe even Bettis.

Exactly what would the Steelers have to gain by putting guys like Burress and Roethlisberger out there, in a game that is meaningless to them?  Giving them this game off means they don't have to play for 3 weeks, which should help them recover to the point where they can be effective in the playoffs.  If I were in the same position as Cowher, I'd sit both of them and maybe even Bettis.

180552[/snapback]

And also a "no cost" opportunity to get the benchwarmers some needed competition.

It is dangerous and usually doesn't work. It takes away continuity or momentum.  Teams have to play the way they got there. Look for the Bills to make the playoffs with Indy over Denver.

180538[/snapback]

If you're right, hopefully the Bills can win a tight game against Pittsburgh's starters.

If you're right, hopefully the Bills can win a tight game against Pittsburgh's starters.

180563[/snapback]

Ben won't play I'm telling you.....if he does.....it won't be for long and it won't matter......the BILLS D will hurt him...........seriously

Bill Cowher has been in this league long enough, so he'll do whatever he wants. He's trying to win a Superbowl, so if he feels that resting Roethlisberger, Bettis, Burress, et al will help him, then he will do so. He really shouldn't care how it affects the other teams if the Bills beat him. He's being paid by the Steeler organization, not the AFC.

Having said that, if I were him, treat it like a pre-season game. Play the starters for a half (maybe 3 quarters) and bench them. You gotta keep them sharp, but you can't risk an injury at the same time.

Pittsburgh has the luxury of a week off, while Indy doesn't. Indy is more likely to rest players, but I doubt Tony Dungy will do that. I figure he'll play everyone so they can get the offense going again, especially outdoors. The Superbowl representative goes through NE or Pittsburgh, so they're going to have to win a game outdoors eventually.

It is dangerous and usually doesn't work. It takes away continuity or momentum.  Teams have to play the way they got there. Look for the Bills to make the playoffs with Indy over Denver.

180538[/snapback]

When the Bills were at their best, they rested players all the time and it worked out great for them, for the most part.