Wish the Bills shared Ozzie Newsome's philosophy

The 2006 draft was one of the best in recent memory too imo. Bills fans are still paying the proce for what Levy/Jauron did to this team in 2006.

The buffoon owner brought in Levy to resurrect the organization. ML then hired Jauron and then went on to his duties of being an amiable conciliator. What the hell was our moronic owner thinking when he brought in someone who was clearly unqualified for the all encompassing job? Would you hire a butcher to perform a brain operation? To make the situation more absurd is that Marv Levy didn't reallly want the job. Slick Marv tried to maneuver the owner into allowing him to be the HC. The owner said absolutely not. It got to the point that the whole situation was not only chaotic but very weird. Is this how an almost one billion $$$ corporation should be run?

What did our goofball owner do when clueless Levy recognizing that he was out of his depth bolted the scene after a couple of damaging years? He hired the marketing guru, Brandon, to head the football operation. That staffing foolishness lasted one year.

What happened next? The secluded and erratic owner had his marketing guru provide him a list of GM candidates. The owner is given the list but only interviews Buddy Nix. When Nix was selected the owner stated that he was the only person he knew on the list. My criticism has little to do with Nix being selected so much it has to do with the insane process of hiring a GM. The Three Stooges could have come up with a more serious process.

Buddy Nix has done a credible job. He is working within an organization where the business side of the operation has ultimate authority. So I'm going to cut him some slack. Is he the type of GM who can creatively maneuver the franchise into accelerating the franchise building process? I don't think that is within his abilities. Although I have defended the Spiller pick I thought that was an excellent time to trade that pick and garner multiple picks. That's not Buddy's way. He likes to keep things simple. However,I do believe he is a good scout. As long as he can make reasonable draft picks I will be more than happy. My level of expectation for a Ralph Wilson franchise has a very low floor.

Even if the Bills hadn't taken Whitner at 8, there was no guarantee that Ngata would be the pick there. It was widely reported both Winston Justice, and Broderick Bunkley, were in play for the Bills at 8th overall that year.

If Nix was relying on Modrak's scouting reports then I wouldn't be surprised at the peculiar ranking of players. Maybe that is why he got rid of him after that draft.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic