Joe Philbin is the new Fins Head Coach

FluffHead

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm saying is, wouldn't you as a new HC like to be able to hire your own assistants rather then have them dictated to you by the GM.

Agreed.

An experienced DC like Mike Nolan would be infinitely more desirable then a position coach who is basically an unknown if he can even handle the DC position.

Agreed.

Case in point, look what happened to the Buffalo Bills when they hired a LB'ers coach and promoted him to DC. Unproven commodity that failed big

I know it's accepted as a "fact" on this board that Edwards had no prior DC experience prior to the Bills, but that "fact" is false.

For the 2003 season, Edwards was the DC for the Redskins under Spurrier.

For the 2002 season, Edwards was the Asst. DC for the Redskins under Spurrier and DC Marvin Lewis.

Linky

I am not trying to defend Edwards or his performance, but I am getting tired of reading how Chan hired a position coach with no experience as a coordinator to be his DC.

I know it's accepted as a "fact" on this board that Edwards had no prior DC experience prior to the Bills, but that "fact" is false.

For the 2003 season, Edwards was the DC for the Redskins under Spurrier.

For the 2002 season, Edwards was the Asst. DC for the Redskins under Spurrier and DC Marvin Lewis.

Linky

I am not trying to defend Edwards or his performance, but I am getting tired of reading how Chan hired a position coach with no experience as a coordinator to be his DC.

He was also the LBers coach in Dallas 1998-2001. Was he fired in Dallas? Was he fired as assistant DC, and DC in Washington? LB'ers coach in Cleveland? Florida Gators DC for one year. What schemes did he run for those teams? I can only assume that since you pointed out that the guy had 7 jobs in 10 years that It wasn't his choice to leave. When he worked for the Cowboys as LB coach it was the same time Chan Gailey was HC there, so that's probably why he got the Bills job.

He was in fact the LB's coach that was promoted to DC and failed. My point being, you want to hire a proven DC and not some guy who has never done well enough to even keep a job as DC, and keeps going back to assistant jobs.