Mercilus

I think taking Mercilus at #10 is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not wild about the idea of taking him @ 10 either.

Earlier in this thread, I stated my choice of taking OG Dave Decastro at #10 overall. To some, that seems crazy, and I understand that. My interest in that pick is having a reliable run-blocker for years to come, while at the same time getting the best available protectection for our future franchise QB. I think the fact that DeCastro comes from a pro-style offense, who's line was responsible for protecting the MVP of college football, is another huge selling point. It's high-time our O-line had a standard bearer

But enough about DeCastro.

On another thread, I suggested trading up in Rd. 2 to grab Mercilus. He isn't a houshold name yet, but by the time all is said and done, Mercilus could be a top 35 pick. As a 4-3DE, I believe he could be a real difference-maker in our sorry pass-rush. He's a great athlete, and a tremendous tackler, but the whole forcing-fumbles thing is what really sold me on this kid.

I may be in the minority here, but I think going after deep-threat recievers, or corner backs in rounds 1-2 would be a BIG mistake. I hope our FO gets it right this time.

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not wild about the idea of taking him @ 10 either.

Earlier in this thread, I stated my choice of taking OG Dave Decastro at #10 overall. To some, that seems crazy, and I understand that. My interest in that pick is having a reliable run-blocker for years to come, while at the same time getting the best available protectection for our future franchise QB. I think the fact that DeCastro comes from a pro-style offense, who's line was responsible for protecting the MVP of college football, is another huge selling point. It's high-time our O-line had a standard bearer

But enough about DeCastro.

On another thread, I suggested trading up in Rd. 2 to grab Mercilus. He isn't a houshold name yet, but by the time all is said and done, Mercilus could be a top 35 pick. As a 4-3DE, I believe he could be a real difference-maker in our sorry pass-rush. He's a great athlete, and a tremendous tackler, but the whole forcing-fumbles thing is what really sold me on this kid.

I may be in the minority here, but I think going after deep-threat recievers, or corner backs in rounds 1-2 would be a BIG mistake. I hope our FO gets it right this time.

decastro is certainly a beast but i just don't like it at 10 for two reasons: 1. Of the numerous needs, guard isn't one (IMO); our Guards are actually pretty good and Levitre is only going to get better; 2. Quality, long term Guards can be found pretty easily in rounds 3-5.

now if J. Martin is there at 10 and we take him, though I think we need defense, I wouldn't really complain due to the importance of the LT position and i feel that LT is more of a question than our guard situation.

Earlier in this thread, I stated my choice of taking OG Dave Decastro at #10 overall. To some, that seems crazy, and I understand that. My interest in that pick is having a reliable run-blocker for years to come, while at the same time getting the best available protectection for our future franchise QB. I think the fact that DeCastro comes from a pro-style offense, who's line was responsible for protecting the MVP of college football, is another huge selling point. It's high-time our O-line had a standard bearer.

This post reminds me of the fact that last year's top guard Danny Watkins sucked. He couldn't win a starting job out of camp and played sparingly. When he did play he was mediocre at best.

Not saying David DeCastro is Danny Watkins but I'm reminded of the FACTS that there were posters here last year who thought it would be a good idea to draft Watkins because he was a "beast" and also that Watkins was the consensus best guard in the draft (and in fact was the first guard drafted last year at #23).

Then you factor in what Buddy Nix recently spelled out (that we already knew) that you can take a borderline tackle and transition him to guard but that you can rarely take a guard and make him into a tackle and the argument for DeCastro becomes even weaker.

Then you consider that the Bills have better than average talent on the interior line with Wood, Levitre, Urbik, Rinehart, and Brown and it becomes even more apparent that taking DeCastro in the first round is very simply not a good idea.

Then you add on the fact that this team is woefully inadequate at pass rusher and wide receiver and that at least half the opinions are that the Bills need to upgrade at offensive tackle and cornerback and the idea of selecting a guard in the first round becomes downright preposterous.

The ONLY way it would be worthwhile is if there was some way you could GUARANTEE that DeCastro would be at least as good as Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca, or Logan Mankins in their primes.

Even then the idea of selecting a guard 10th overall would be debatable at best.

I would find another horse to ride.

This post reminds me of the fact that last year's top guard Danny Watkins sucked. He couldn't win a starting job out of camp and played sparingly. When he did play he was mediocre at best.

Not saying David DeCastro is Danny Watkins but I'm reminded of the FACTS that there were posters here last year who thought it would be a good idea to draft Watkins because he was a "beast" and also that Watkins was the consensus best guard in the draft (and in fact was the first guard drafted last year at #23).

Then you factor in what Buddy Nix recently spelled out (that we already knew) that you can take a borderline tackle and transition him to guard but that you can rarely take a guard and make him into a tackle and the argument for DeCastro becomes even weaker.

Then you consider that the Bills have better than average talent on the interior line with Wood, Levitre, Urbik, Rinehart, and Brown and it becomes even more apparent that taking DeCastro in the first round is very simply not a good idea.

Then you add on the fact that this team is woefully inadequate at pass rusher and wide receiver and that at least half the opinions are that the Bills need to upgrade at offensive tackle and cornerback and the idea of selecting a guard in the first round becomes downright preposterous.

The ONLY way it would be worthwhile is if there was some way you could GUARANTEE that DeCastro would be at least as good as Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca, or Logan Mankins in their primes.

Even then the idea of selecting a guard 10th overall would be debatable at best.

I would find another horse to ride.

Let's see.... -"Argument for Decastro becomes even weaker"... "Not a good Idea"... "downright preposterous"...

Sounds to me like you're really on the fence about the DeCastro thing.

No worries.

Do you feel any better about trading up in the second to grab Whitney Mercilus?

Having watched a fair amount of Big-Ten football, I think Mercilus could be the elite pass-rusher we've been searching for. I like Courtney Upshaw. He's instinctive, and dominant. I just don't see the speed, or the desire to be "in on the play" that I see in Mercilus. I also don't see Upshaw fitting nicely in a 4-3 scheme.

I agree with you on the reciever issue, but I think there's adequate talent to be had in later rounds. WR Rishard Matthews (Nevada) and TE Nick Provo (Syracuse) are a couple of the players that drew my interest.

IMO, this rebuilding thing will only work with explosive players to lead the way. If you could draft a kid capable of generating the kind of defensive turnovers that Mercilus has, then why would you hesitate?

Edited by #34fan

<br>Do you feel any better about trading up in the second to grab Whitney Mercilus?<br><br>Having watched a fair amount of Big-Ten football, I think Mercilus could be the elite pass-rusher we've been searching for. I like Courtney Upshaw. He's instinctive, and dominant. I just don't see the speed, or the desire to be "in on the play" that I see in Mercilus. I also don't see Upshaw fitting nicely in a 4-3 scheme. <br><br>I agree with you on the reciever issue, but I think there's adequate talent to be had in later rounds. WR Rishard Matthews (Nevada) and TE Nick Provo (Syracuse) are a couple of the players that drew my interest.<br><br>IMO, this rebuilding thing will only work with explosive players to lead the way. If you could draft a kid capable of generating the kind of defensive turnovers that Mercilus has, then why would you hesitate?<br>
<br>My top 3 pass rushers right now are Melvin Ingram, Nick Perry, and Andre Branch.<br><br>I will take another look at Mercilus and let you know.<div><br></div><div>edit: I just watched around 30 plays of Mercilus against Arizona State.</div><div><br></div><div>Certainly he has the length that pro scouts look for. He's fairly athletic and quick but I don't think in the elite category.</div><div><br></div><div>To me it looks like he plays too tall and has to work on his body lean. Only once did he push the O-lineman backwards so it looks like he doesn't have a bull rush.</div><div><br></div><div>Also he seems to get off the ball late. Most elite pass rushers anticipate the snap count and are out of the blocks quickly. Mercilus is consistently late to my eye.</div><div><br></div><div>All the things I mention are coachable and he could become a great pass rusher in the NFL.</div><div><br></div><div>To my untrained eye, I still like Ingram, Perry, and Branch better.</div><div><br>

</div>

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Do you feel any better about trading up in the second to grab Whitney Mercilus?

Having watched a fair amount of Big-Ten football, I think Mercilus could be the elite pass-rusher we've been searching for. I like Courtney Upshaw. He's instinctive, and dominant. I just don't see the speed, or the desire to be "in on the play" that I see in Mercilus. I also don't see Upshaw fitting nicely in a 4-3 scheme.

I agree with you on the reciever issue, but I think there's adequate talent to be had in later rounds. WR Rishard Matthews (Nevada) and TE Nick Provo (Syracuse) are a couple of the players that drew my interest.

IMO, this rebuilding thing will only work with explosive players to lead the way. If you could draft a kid capable of generating the kind of defensive turnovers that Mercilus has, then why would you hesitate?

My top 3 pass rushers right now are Melvin Ingram, Nick Perry, and Andre Branch.

I will take another look at Mercilus and let you know.

edit: To my untrained eye Mercilus looks to have a few flaws all of which are probably coachable.

While he certainly has the length that pro scouts value, he seems to lose some explosion that the shorter pass rushers possess. He does look like he has some nice quickness but without the violent bursts of movement.

Also I don't like his body lean (angle). He seems to play too upright and as a result doesn't get much push. On only one play did he push the O-lineman backwards. Quite often he was stood up.

I noticed too that Mercilus consistently seems late off the snap. The elite pass rushers tend to anticipate the snap count and come out of the blocks instantly.

Obviously I'm not a scout and what I perceive to be flaws might be overstated. As I said earlier, they all look correctable but my top 3 pass rushers are still Ingram, Perry, and Branch.

My other disclaimer is that I've only watched about 30 plays of Mercilus. Not a very large sample size.

http://draftbreakdow...lus-vs-asu-2011

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan