Interesting Krauthammer op-Ed

Let's hear it, why is it retarded?

Well, I could point out that jumping from Kepler to Drake's equation to the atom bomb as a justification for politics supreme is, at best, utterly insane. But I'd much rather start with the unbelievably insipid "observation" that the creation of the atomic bomb caused the Cuban Missile Crisis, which was only solved by politics. :wallbash:

I don't understand how you read nonsense like that and think it's somehow "interesting". Do you even have a brain? Do you keep it sitting in a jar on your nightstand or something?

Well, I could point out that jumping from Kepler to Drake's equation to the atom bomb as a justification for politics supreme is, at best, utterly insane. But I'd much rather start with the unbelievably insipid "observation" that the creation of the atomic bomb caused the Cuban Missile Crisis, which was only solved by politics. :wallbash:

I don't understand how you read nonsense like that and think it's somehow "interesting". Do you even have a brain? Do you keep it sitting in a jar on your nightstand or something?

That's what you got out of this article? :thumbdown:

I have the feeling you don't know enough about the Cuban Missle Crisis to really make a serious point about it, but yes, in a broader view of things they did talk themselves down from the edge, which is a form of politics...as is war

His main point was that we have to be very good at politics because we will increasingly have the ability to kill each other. I'd rather choose politics myself.

I have the feeling you don't know enough about the Cuban Missle Crisis to really make a serious point about it, but yes, in a broader view of things they did talk themselves down from the edge, which is a form of politics...as is war

His main point was that we have to be very good at politics because we will increasingly have the ability to kill each other. I'd rather choose politics myself.

Interesting analogy... Obviously, neither side being able to "negotiate" (if that's what you want to call the missile crisis) through strength, played absolutely no part in the outcome, huh???

Yet, throughout history, we have governments (politicians and your own faith in politics) leading to the sort of corruption we witness today. But you still defend it??? You still believe it is the best course for our future? Politics and Government know better than the mere "masses"??? Pray tell, explain what makes a politician so special??? Heck, what makes a politician today, or politics itself, better than at any time in the past???

Edited by Cinga

Ignoring the previous inane comments that bound to get the original intent off track...

Yes, I will fully agree that intelligent humans perpetuate misery unwittingly due to scientific curiosity- we can see it throughout history, and the article alludes to it even though it doesn't go full bore into it. I will also agree that politicians do hold the fate of the world's existence in their hands, because with the advent of nuclear weapons it was a game changer, like the advent of chemical and biological warfare and genetic engineering.

It is possible that human beings will eventually go past the tipping point and obliterate part of or the entire human race somehow, but so far we have dodged major bullets. Whether or not we continue to dodge them is a a matter of conjecture, but to dismiss the possibility is to be the ostrich. We tend to not want to think of these things because we have avoided it time and time again, but the possibility remains.

Let us all hope that our luck continues.