Fire Chan.... Hire Wannstedt

I joined recently. I guess you could say i am new here. Or am I? No, I am not the author of any threads here. However I find some of the threads interesting. This particular one was BORING, until I read your negative comments on a poster.Who BTW could be a kid for all anyone knows. Who cares let's toast the poster anyways. A slow day in the office? Man I wish you would let me grade some of your AP articles, because I could get justifiably critical. Especially your softball "interviews" with a certain NFL owner. However, this forum has lost more than one media type because of maybe just that. When teams are in the deep end of over a decade of suckitude it's sad too see the fans start calling other fans out. Or in JW's case a member of the media calling out a fan on a forum. Ha, that's rich.

I don't mean to get personnel myself. But this stuff is all over the place here recently. Frankly, I enjoy your insights here sometimes. But for some crazy reason I thought you were above what you wrote above. Well, i guess anyone is fair game.

that's fair, and you have your right to your point of view. though why this board needs one more "fire the coach" thread, i don't know, i'll admit i probably went a little too far here.

And for that, I do sincerely apologize.

i won't go into detail or apologize, however, for what is perceived by some here as "softball" interviews with Mr. Wilson. i do my job. i ask questions. i get responses. i ask follow up questions when necessary. i report the news. if you don't like what's said, well, you might as well blame me.

jw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's fair, and you have your right to your point of view. though why this board needs one more "fire the coach" thread, i don't know, i'll admit i probably went a little too far here.

And for that, I do sincerely apologize.

i won't go into detail or apologize, however, for what is perceived by some here as "softball" interviews with Mr. Wilson. i do my job. i ask questions. i get responses. i ask follow up questions when necessary. i report the news. if you don't like what's said, well, you might as well blame me.

jw

Thanks for the response. I can't blame you John on the Wilson interviews because if you asked the questions (or followups) that I would like asked, or perhaps others, you would lose access or worse, so I understand. That said I'm sure everyone appreciates what you do report.

I responded to your post because recently a few people are making things personal here. They believe their for the most part anonymous posts carry more weight because they played high school or maybe even pop warner ball. Also, there are some people here who definitely know their X and O's.I find it funny though that post counts decide a fans knowledge as a few people seem to think. It's a phenomena that happens on a lot of blogs.

Go away. no revolving door at HC please. two more years. then we will see. The guy needs an average level of injuries and his players for one entire season to judge. Hasn't happened yet. He has many of the pieces now. I want to see what they can do for most of an entire season. Can't have your best players go on IR at Midseason and expect to compete in the NFL over a two month stretch.

Oh yes...let's suffer for TWO more losing years before we realize Chan is a bad coach. Consistency at head coach? Wasn't this Ralph's mantra before "patience?". How'd that with out.

Enjoy your losing naive Bills fans.

Think about this idea. Chan has been ineffective during his tenure as Bills coach. His suspect Playcalling toward the end of the season clearly cost this team some victories.

The 20,000 empty send a powerful message to Ralph Wilson, the Bills fans won't stand for the crap product he and Chan have put on the field. So here is my advice - fire BOTH Chan and Edwards and have Wannstedt lead this team. Wanny was a very good coach as was effective as HC of Miami. He was able to beat New England and he'd help our defense.

The good thing he'd do though, is bring in a new OC that would not screw things up like Chan.

Really Wanny as HC could be the best thing for this team

Any guy who names himself after George "Tone Loc" Edwards deserves to get a hard time for a post like that. Curious, did George Edwards work under Wanny when he was in Miami.

so, someone elects to sign up and join TwoBillsDrive and, in the midst of another bad season, comes up with a wild idea: "Coach needs to be fired. Another coach needs to be hired (or, in this case, promoted)."

anyone is better than the guy the team's got. and even Dan Henning would do.

new poster loves said idea, believes it to be so out of the box and unique, that a new thread needs to be started. "damn the lot of them: no one's thoughta this before. feet first i'm jumping. what a genius, am i. i can't believe no one -- and i mean NO ONE -- has ever thought of this before. not two years ago, not 5 years ago, not 7 years ago. ... not since perhaps Hank Bullough was the coach!!!!!"

never mind the fact the team has gone through five coaches already in 11 years. never mind that the constant turnover has sunk the bills to this perennial rebuilding point for quite some time. never mind the fact that the Bills offense and defense, for that matter, have shown signs of improvement over last year.

change is necessary, because change is different.

and thus, we can all rest easy, because from out of nowhere, and thanks be to the intrawebs for providing this poster the vehicle, to provide a solution in which Buffalo's problems have been solved for essentially ever.

can't wait for poster's next suggestion, or let me guess: "Bills need a pass-rusher."

jw

+1000000

Thanks for the response. I can't blame you John on the Wilson interviews because if you asked the questions (or followups) that I would like asked, or perhaps others, you would lose access or worse, so I understand. That said I'm sure everyone appreciates what you do report.

I responded to your post because recently a few people are making things personal here. They believe their for the most part anonymous posts carry more weight because they played high school or maybe even pop warner ball. Also, there are some people here who definitely know their X and O's.I find it funny though that post counts decide a fans knowledge as a few people seem to think. It's a phenomena that happens on a lot of blogs.

well, except for our dear SKOOBY, who no longer haunts us here, most veteran posters know better than to start yet another "fire the coach," "what's up with Fitz?" yada-yada thread. there's dozens of those floating around here already.

and new posters -- whether they're young or old -- should respect that before rushing to hit the "START NEW POST" button.

in my time on this board, i think i've started -- i dunno -- 15 threads, some of which were quickly shut down because it was poking fun at the number of "fire the coach" "what's up with the qb?" "who we gonna draft" threads that have occasionally littered this board.

i'm not in favor of those who've suggested new posters on probation be barred from starting new threads.

new posters will find their voice eventually. but if they don't get their hands rapped for some of these threads, then when shall they learn?

Happy New Year.

jw

John,

In your opinion, please assess the job that Ralph Wilson has done as owner of the Bills...as well as Gailey, Mix, and Edwards.

Can you honestly say they've made improvements on offense and defense, when they are still at the bottom of the league in both areas and have only a meager +2 W/L differential?

Yep, keep lofting those "softball" questions

well, except for our dear SKOOBY, who no longer haunts us here, most veteran posters know better than to start yet another "fire the coach," "what's up with Fitz?" yada-yada thread. there's dozens of those floating around here already.

and new posters -- whether they're young or old -- should respect that before rushing to hit the "START NEW POST" button.

in my time on this board, i think i've started -- i dunno -- 15 threads, some of which were quickly shut down because it was poking fun at the number of "fire the coach" "what's up with the qb?" "who we gonna draft" threads that have occasionally littered this board.

i'm not in favor of those who've suggested new posters on probation be barred from starting new threads.

new posters will find their voice eventually. but if they don't get their hands rapped for some of these threads, then when shall they learn?

Happy New Year.

jw

Caution: Going off topic here.

Yea, redundant threads just keep pushing these arguments, and you get the same basic responses over and over. A reason is nothing really ever improves in a BIG way on OBD

We have little reason for optimism in Buffalo Bills football,for taking home the big prize. That is a reality that most here would agree. Of course we can always say next year. Although after crashing and burning for another season, it seems as always it's the same reasons that gets us to irrelevancy.

That being poor Quarterback play (save the argument that his scrub receivers are injured),dubious at best coaching philosophies, and very few players that can dominate. I'm on board for giving everyone except Edwards another year. I really hope with some good off season moves Chan can come out in September 2012 with something other than a 5 wide spread offense, because that bird has been cooked. Rebuilding yet again with current ownership is futile. Good news is although very slowly, we are getting at least a few guys that can actually play in the NFL.

As for Fitz I am not a big fan, building an offense around him will not get us to the promised land. I'm guessing Fitz starts here for 2 more years at least. after a college career and 7 years in the NFL, he has peaked. His throwing accuracy is terrible, and while with the right people around him he can manage a game, he just cannot throw anything past short slants, screens, etc. with any solid accuracy. It's funny we run Edwards out of town for being the king of dump offs, yet rely on a very short passing game which is the spread offense, and of course a useless over paid wildcat Quarterback.In terms of wins losses almost no improvement. I haven't checked lately but Edwards and Fitz I believe are basically in a dead heat for wins/losses. BTW I am not a Edwards homer. Other than yes Fitz is a gamer, or maybe he hasn't yet had his bell rung hard enough yet, to lose his brass nutz. he has a very fast release, because he has to if he's going to survive with this team. Our O-line can give him no more than 2 seconds.Yet some want a barn burning receiver. Hows that going to work?

Older fans want the whole deal, a friggin team that can seriously compete for a Lombardi trophy, some fans won't be excited to see us make the playoffs and get creamed in some wild card game. But hey, it will sell tickets. With the current thinking on OBD, I don't see anything that would cause optimism for achieving a trophy. I suspect a LOT of people would be happy with a 10-6 and a wild card game. Then saying we can build on this, again Fit can not take us there. As for a top 5 dominant defense? yea, were 7-8 stud starters from that. Not going to happen, we don't even know what defense were running next year, and don't have the right personnel for any of them, again to be that dominant D. We should keep Johnson but personally he's a wanna be Diva. There is a segment of fans who love it. After all the NFL is really just entertainment.

So, for some they will creatively change the thread titles but the arguments will be the same.

So the same circular arguments will continue, especially after an out of touch owner says "be patient" Some have been patient for over a half a century now.I cannot even quote anything more than that because his little address last week was very depressing too fans that want to win and win big. The headline I believe was about Toronto, not a single thread on that. Because who cares anymore? His other comments have caused countless negative remarks and justifiably so. Diatribe over.

Caution: Going off topic here.

Yea, redundant threads just keep pushing these arguments, and you get the same basic responses over and over. A reason is nothing really ever improves in a BIG way on OBD

We have little reason for optimism in Buffalo Bills football,for taking home the big prize. That is a reality that most here would agree. Of course we can always say next year. Although after crashing and burning for another season, it seems as always it's the same reasons that gets us to irrelevancy.

That being poor Quarterback play (save the argument that his scrub receivers are injured),dubious at best coaching philosophies, and very few players that can dominate. I'm on board for giving everyone except Edwards another year. I really hope with some good off season moves Chan can come out in September 2012 with something other than a 5 wide spread offense, because that bird has been cooked. Rebuilding yet again with current ownership is futile. Good news is although very slowly, we are getting at least a few guys that can actually play in the NFL.

As for Fitz I am not a big fan, building an offense around him will not get us to the promised land. I'm guessing Fitz starts here for 2 more years at least. after a college career and 7 years in the NFL, he has peaked. His throwing accuracy is terrible, and while with the right people around him he can manage a game, he just cannot throw anything past short slants, screens, etc. with any solid accuracy. It's funny we run Edwards out of town for being the king of dump offs, yet rely on a very short passing game which is the spread offense, and of course a useless over paid wildcat Quarterback.In terms of wins losses almost no improvement. I haven't checked lately but Edwards and Fitz I believe are basically in a dead heat for wins/losses. BTW I am not a Edwards homer. Other than yes Fitz is a gamer, or maybe he hasn't yet had his bell rung hard enough yet, to lose his brass nutz. he has a very fast release, because he has to if he's going to survive with this team. Our O-line can give him no more than 2 seconds.Yet some want a barn burning receiver. Hows that going to work?

Older fans want the whole deal, a friggin team that can seriously compete for a Lombardi trophy, some fans won't be excited to see us make the playoffs and get creamed in some wild card game. But hey, it will sell tickets. With the current thinking on OBD, I don't see anything that would cause optimism for achieving a trophy. I suspect a LOT of people would be happy with a 10-6 and a wild card game. Then saying we can build on this, again Fit can not take us there. As for a top 5 dominant defense? yea, were 7-8 stud starters from that. Not going to happen, we don't even know what defense were running next year, and don't have the right personnel for any of them, again to be that dominant D. We should keep Johnson but personally he's a wanna be Diva. There is a segment of fans who love it. After all the NFL is really just entertainment.

So, for some they will creatively change the thread titles but the arguments will be the same.

So the same circular arguments will continue, especially after an out of touch owner says "be patient" Some have been patient for over a half a century now.I cannot even quote anything more than that because his little address last week was very depressing too fans that want to win and win big. The headline I believe was about Toronto, not a single thread on that. Because who cares anymore? His other comments have caused countless negative remarks and justifiably so. Diatribe over.

I agree 100% with you Best Player. I love how you laid everything out on the line. Going 10-6 - that is something you can build off of. 6-10 and saying well too many injuries killed us, is not something to build off. This team could go 0-16 and people would find excuses or bogus positives from a 0-16 year. There is such phony optimism in this forum that it's stench can often be repugnant. Thanks for being a breath of fresh air.

John,

In your opinion, please assess the job that Ralph Wilson has done as owner of the Bills...as well as Gailey, Mix, and Edwards.

Can you honestly say they've made improvements on offense and defense, when they are still at the bottom of the league in both areas and have only a meager +2 W/L differential?

Yep, keep lofting those "softball" questions

so, let's review.

you're questioning the Bills decision to hire Chan Gailey, because you don't think he's done a good job. and you're proposing that the Bills make the switch to Dave Wannstedt because he isn't Chan Gailey, yet was brought in by Gailey. so you're questioning Gailey's ability to run the team, yet at the same time praising him for recognizing talent and bringing in a guy who might make the defense better.

you're also asking me to assess the job Ralph Wilson has done. sure, he has his faults. and one of the problems the Bills have encountered over these past 12 years is a front-office and coaching carousel that has contributed to a lack of continuity, and set the team back many years because it has been forced to start over again and again and again.

and yet, you're now suggesting that the Bills once again start over, which could well result in pushing the team's development back another three years.

yes, that makes a whole lotta sense.

jw

oh, and i question your suggestion in how Chan has "screwed up" the offense.

evidently, i must be missing something given the fact that the Bills are in a position to score their most points since 2004, rack up their most yards since 2002, have a quarterback throw for 3,000 yards in back-to-back seasons for the first time since Jim Kelly and had a running back in Fred Jackson who was being mentioned as a mid-season MVP candidate.

and let's not bring up the offensive line which, despite it's injuries, has held up pretty well and far better than many would've expected.

but you're right, the offense is "screwed up." :blink:

of course, your definition of "bottom of the league" might differ from mine given that the Bills offense currently ranks 14th in the NFL in yards gained, 11th in yards rushing, 15th in yards passing and 14th in points scored.

perhaps, in your upside-down world that ranks as bottom-half. in a 32-team league, that actually ranks as top half and an all-in-all improvement over last year when the Bills actually finished in the bottom-half.

Edited by john wawrow

so, let's review.

you're questioning the Bills decision to hire Chan Gailey, because you don't think he's done a good job. and you're proposing that the Bills make the switch to Dave Wannstedt because he isn't Chan Gailey, yet was brought in by Gailey. so you're questioning Gailey's ability to run the team, yet at the same time praising him for recognizing talent and bringing in a guy who might make the defense better.

you're also asking me to assess the job Ralph Wilson has done. sure, he has his faults. and one of the problems the Bills have encountered over these past 12 years is a front-office and coaching carousel that has contributed to a lack of continuity, and set the team back many years because it has been forced to start over again and again and again.

and yet, you're now suggesting that the Bills once again start over, which could well result in pushing the team's development back another three years.

yes, that makes a whole lotta sense.

jw

oh, and i question your suggestion in how Chan has "screwed up" the offense.

evidently, i must be missing something given the fact that the Bills are in a position to score their most points since 2004, rack up their most yards since 2002, have a quarterback throw for 3,000 yards in back-to-back seasons for the first time since Jim Kelly and had a running back in Fred Jackson who was being mentioned as a mid-season MVP candidate.

and let's not bring up the offensive line which, despite it's injuries, has held up pretty well and far better than many would've expected.

but you're right, the offense is "screwed up." :blink:

of course, your definition of "bottom of the league" might differ from mine given that the Bills offense currently ranks 14th in the NFL in yards gained, 11th in yards rushing, 15th in yards passing and 14th in points scored.

perhaps, in your upside-down world that ranks as bottom-half. in a 32-team league, that actually ranks as top half and an all-in-all improvement over last year when the Bills actually finished in the bottom-half.

i certainly agree about the "continuity" factor, and changing front office personnel, coaches every 2-3 years is a recipe for disaster for sure. however, as i am sure ,you , and everyone on here is aware, a "turnaround" can happen almost instantaneously if the proper decisions and RESOURCES are made available. littman and overdorf are running the show , and the bottom line is far more important than winning and the franchise will continue to spin its wheels until ralph passes on or a new mindset manifests.

i certainly agree about the "continuity" factor, and changing front office personnel, coaches every 2-3 years is a recipe for disaster for sure. however, as i am sure ,you , and everyone on here is aware, a "turnaround" can happen almost instantaneously if the proper decisions and RESOURCES are made available. littman and overdorf are running the show , and the bottom line is far more important than winning and the franchise will continue to spin its wheels until ralph passes on or a new mindset manifests.

So what you are saying is, "continuity" is important ? How important was "continuity" when Ralgp uttered that phrase after announcing he would stick with Dick Jauron? Continuity is only important if there is success and going from 4 to 6 wins is hardly a success. No wonder why Ralph loves being interviewed by you - your impressed by very little like the 11th ranked offense in the league.

I think that most Bills fans have Gailey accurately assessed as a very mediocre coach -- Jauron like, if you will. He's not the guy to turn this franchise into a playoff contender. As a fan it's disappointing to see put front office bring in yet another low paid, lousy coach who will ensure even more losing.

I give you extra points for the witty sarcasm in your writing, although you lose them for your poor writing skills. What "writer" types in all lower case print?

What JW said +1.

Pesky facts! Dont you just hate them OP?

Yeah I do hate facts... Like the fact Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years. CONTINUITY though. We went from 4 wins to 6 wins..... We are in the right direction!!!!

Here, here :thumbsup: For the life of me I don't understand why fans feel compelled to buy tickets every year when history has shown that this owner will not cough up the money to hire a top HC until the fans stop buying tickets. Case in point, Chuck Knox.

The only reason why I can't see a HC and staff change coming is because NOBODY else worth a damn wanted the job (Save Marty S who RW didn't feel comfortable with) So if they fire Gaily, who would take the job? Wannstache, he certainly hasn't helped the defense from what I see. It got a bit better against the run, but still its a sieve giving up way to many yards every game

At what point do you realize you made a mistake hiring a certain person? How long should a HC be given to prove himself? Even tho his team started out the year very strong and winning 5 games. They fell on their proverbial face on offense the second half of the year and the scoring has gone beyond abysmal. Only 6 points on offense the last game and that was by the RB. Clearly both Gailey and Nix made several key mistakes both this year and last year, and those mistakes cost the team many wins both years.

I'm thinking if things keep going the way they are going the fans will be out with pitchforks and torches by mid season next year. Martyball could have had this team in the playoffs this year.

So many great choices could be made to enhance this team and turn it into a winner! But alas, not with RW as owner! :bag:

Here, here :thumbsup: For the life of me I don't understand why fans feel compelled to buy tickets every year when history has shown that this owner will not cough up the money to hire a top HC until the fans stop buying tickets. Case in point, Chuck Knox.

The only reason why I can't see a HC and staff change coming is because NOBODY else worth a damn wanted the job (Save Marty S who RW didn't feel comfortable with) So if they fire Gaily, who would take the job? Wannstache, he certainly hasn't helped the defense from what I see. It got a bit better against the run, but still its a sieve giving up way to many yards every game

At what point do you realize you made a mistake hiring a certain person? How long should a HC be given to prove himself? Even tho his team started out the year very strong and winning 5 games. They fell on their proverbial face on offense the second half of the year and the scoring has gone beyond abysmal. Only 6 points on offense the last game and that was by the RB. Clearly both Gailey and Nix made several key mistakes both this year and last year, and those mistakes cost the team many wins both years.

I'm thinking if things keep going the way they are going the fans will be out with pitchforks and torches by mid season next year. Martyball could have had this team in the playoffs this year.

So many great choices could be made to enhance this team and turn it into a winner! But alas, not with RW as owner! :bag:

the knox regime was a good run and i hated the way it ended due to ralph's interference and bungling. previous to that, lou saban left almost under identical circumstances back in 1966. we all know nothing will change until ownership does.

yeah let's fire yet another head coach because that has worked so well for us! Did you realize that in my 41 year lifetime the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 head coaches! 3 - we've had more since this century started! that is one of the main reasons why the Buffalo Bills have become a joke franchise! Chan's on the right track, he needs better talent and a lot greater depth! 17 guys on IR and 3 of our key OL certainly don't help the situation, but injuries are not the enttire story. We do need to get much better on defense especially with rushing the QB and stopping the run. Our defense doesn't create enough 3 and outs! and the offense needs to be more consistent! However, changing the head coach yet again would set the franchise back!

to the Fire Chan people - go jump into the Niagara just above the falls!

yeah let's fire yet another head coach because that has worked so well for us! Did you realize that in my 41 year lifetime the Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 head coaches! 3 - we've had more since this century started! that is one of the main reasons why the Buffalo Bills have become a joke franchise! Chan's on the right track, he needs better talent and a lot greater depth! 17 guys on IR and 3 of our key OL certainly don't help the situation, but injuries are not the enttire story. We do need to get much better on defense especially with rushing the QB and stopping the run. Our defense doesn't create enough 3 and outs! and the offense needs to be more consistent! However, changing the head coach yet again would set the franchise back!

to the Fire Chan people - go jump into the Niagara just above the falls!

Yes... They'ce has 3 coaches who WON! Make no mistake about it - if Bill Cowher lost the last 9 games in row his second season coaching, the Rooney family would FIRE his arse.

You don't keep a losing coaching around for the sake of continuity. We tried this by retaining Jauron and we ended up firing him at mid-season. All of us know Chan is not the guy -- then why keep him.

This team is a pathetic joke.

So what you are saying is, "continuity" is important ? How important was "continuity" when Ralgp uttered that phrase after announcing he would stick with Dick Jauron? Continuity is only important if there is success and going from 4 to 6 wins is hardly a success. No wonder why Ralph loves being interviewed by you - your impressed by very little like the 11th ranked offense in the league.

I think that most Bills fans have Gailey accurately assessed as a very mediocre coach -- Jauron like, if you will. He's not the guy to turn this franchise into a playoff contender. As a fan it's disappointing to see put front office bring in yet another low paid, lousy coach who will ensure even more losing.

I give you extra points for the witty sarcasm in your writing, although you lose them for your poor writing skills. What "writer" types in all lower case print?

Yeah I do hate facts... Like the fact Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years. CONTINUITY though. We went from 4 wins to 6 wins..... We are in the right direction!!!!

ok, one: your first response was to DwightInPhilly, not me. so try to keep up here.

two: whether or not Mr. Wilson likes to be interviewed with me or not, i've at least earned the right to talk to him on occasion. and the offense's production this season is largely improved.

three: lower case writing? that's all you got?

four: all in all, you conveniently sidestep the large, gaping hole i've poked through your tepid argument by noting that, despite injuries, the the bills offense is vastly improved over previous years and not -- as you've stated -- in the bottom half of the league.

i at least had the courtesy to apologize by saying perhaps i went overboard with my initial post. and i'll stick to that because it's become quite clear that i may well be arguing with a child.

jw

1325342864[/url]' post='2349235']

Yes... They'ce has 3 coaches who WON! Make no mistake about it - if Bill Cowher lost the last 9 games in row his second season coaching, the Rooney family would FIRE his arse.

You don't keep a losing coaching around for the sake of continuity. We tried this by retaining Jauron and we ended up firing him at mid-season. All of us know Chan is not the guy -- then why keep him.

This team is a pathetic joke.

All of us know chan is not the guy?

Please speak for yourself. NO ONE appointed you spoke person.

If it looks like a duck...smells like s duck... and acts like a duck, then, its likely a duck.

10-22 in two seasons.,., Chan's not the guy. But like most Bills fans you create your own reality that this team will be ok.

JW, I'll admit that the offense has improved statistically from last year. But there's been numerous times when they needed a last minute score and failed miserably. They say there's one stat that matters -- wins and losses. 1-7 over the last 8. Improvement?

Also I believe you said the defense was improved as well? Seems to me like this D looks like the same sorry losers as last year. Take away their performances against Den and Washington and you have a horrid team statistically.

I will agree with you that until Ralph and his clones are "gone" Buffalo Bills will be big losers...and fans on TBD will make excuses for their incompetence