Spagnuolo for DC

Dragonborn10

While nobody is enamored with the coaching, I'll have to disagree that's is less about talent. There is a lot to be said about putting players in position to succeed and when I see Spencer Johnson at OLB I'm wondering what the hell the coaches are doing. And then I realize it's out of desperation; some due to injury but more to do with the fact that Moats, Batten, Coleman, etc. are far worse an alternative. I can't even think about scheme when I constantly see players that can't hold the POA. That is not something you can scheme for; your players have to do that no matter what position, no matter what scheme. The ONLY players in our front seven doing that consistently are Dareus and Barnett. I also think Dwan Edwards does a good job more often than not.

Doesn't matter because like they say, you can't fire the players. Edwards will be gone and some new players will be brought in and then we'll see where we are from there.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with most of your post, OLB is an obvious weak spot. I just think the rest of the D is ok, possibly good, when healthy. I would point to Houston as an example of how big of a difference coaching makes. Houston took what is essentially the same roster as their awful defenses of previous years, and have now become a pretty solid defense with Wade Phillips. Similarly how the Saints defense went from one of the worst, to very solid with Gregg Williams. The fact that they were former Bills HC's was a coincidence, I wasn't going for that...But our defenses were top 10(5 even?) when they were coaching here.

Coaching makes all the difference in the world.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think Kyle can be a 3-4 NT, if given the right scheme and not always locked into the 0 technique, such as the 3-4 over.

^This. People think KW playing the A-gap means he's just used as a penetrator. Not true. In the Wade Phillips 34, an A-Gap NT is used to BOTH clog and penetrate. KW is fine in that role as he proved last season.

No question about that, but we've all seem games this year where the defense played well in the first half, but faded late becuase the offense couldn't stay on the field. This is why I wish we would revert to a ball control offense.

You'll have to forgive me if I can't recall any of those good first halves by our defense. Seriously, I can't think of one at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

No question about that, but we've all seem games this year where the defense played well in the first half, but faded late becuase the offense couldn't stay on the field. This is why I wish we would revert to a ball control offense.

Why is it that most of the time our D spots the opponent 14-21 points before stopping them and then fades at the end?

It's pretty easy to look like a defensive genius when you coached a team with Strahan, Justin Tuck, Antonio Pierce, Osi Umenyora and other players I can't think of all rushing the passer. I liek Spags and would probably be happy if we got him, however, he had a tremendous amount of talent. I'm not sure he could do much with the guys on our roster. I'd be willing to give him a shot though.

I don't think the Rams have exactly been known for defensive prowess in his time there either.

WE NEED PASS RUSHERS. That's our biggest issue. I would be happy with a change at coordinator though as well.

Its a bit of a chicken and an egg though.

With Spags as the D-Co. a Free Agent Pass Rusher would think about Buffalo because of that system.

Without Spags as the D-Co, who the hell would want to play for George Edwards, I mean we were lucky to get an insane guy coming off an injury that wears vampire teeth.

Spags at least can identify what a pash rusher looks like. I don't think we have anyone on the D-Co side that can do that.

Still I doubt he comes over to the Bills but everyone would love it.

I'm not on board with this for two reasons.

1: Buddy nix is set on drafting for a 3-4, and that is what we've drafted for in the last two drafts. To bring in a new 4-3 DC would set us back even further than we are now.

2: Part of the problem is our offensive system. I think it would help if we went more ball control to keep our defense on the sidelines longer.

1. Who have we drafted that we want to keep) that would not fit into a 4-3 rather than a 3-4? I thinkDareus as a 4-3 DT would be much more effective that he is today. Same with Williams, who would be better as a 4-3 DT than as a NT in a 3-4. Out LB's would be the same in either -- they aren't good in a 3-4, can't be any worse in a 4-3.

2. The offense is not the problem with our defense -- DOH! If our defense cold stop someone and get off the field, they would be on the sidelines more.

Sadly, Spagnuolo is missing the one perquisite to be a Bills coach in the post Donahoe Era....Desperation. Both Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey were out of the NFL at the time of their hiring and were very desperate to get back into the NFL. Spagnuolo is regarded as a very good defensive coach and if he's going to go back to being a DC, I'm pretty sure he'll pick a good situation and not walk into the mess that is the Buffalo Bills defense. He doesn't need to be the Bills defensive coach, the way that Jauron and Chan needed back in the NFL. I'm sure all he has to do is watch one game (besides Washington) and think "Oh hell no." Now if you are talking Spagnuolo for head coach, then I think that's a better possibility.

Why is it that most of the time our D spots the opponent 14-21 points before stopping them and then fades at the end?

1. Lack of talent

2. Lack of depth

3. Offense can't hang on to the ball.

1. Who have we drafted that we want to keep) that would not fit into a 4-3 rather than a 3-4? I thinkDareus as a 4-3 DT would be much more effective that he is today. Same with Williams, who would be better as a 4-3 DT than as a NT in a 3-4. Out LB's would be the same in either -- they aren't good in a 3-4, can't be any worse in a 4-3.

2. The offense is not the problem with our defense -- DOH! If our defense cold stop someone and get off the field, they would be on the sidelines more.

Then why do I hear announcers say that Team A needs to hold on to the ball to keep Team B's offense off the field?

Edited by jjmac

Houston took what is essentially the same roster as their awful defenses of previous years, and have now become a pretty solid defense with Wade Phillips. Similarly how the Saints defense went from one of the worst, to very solid with Gregg Williams. The fact that they were former Bills HC's was a coincidence, I wasn't going for that...But our defenses were top 10(5 even?) when they were coaching here.

Coaching makes all the difference in the world.

You make a lot of good points, Turbos. But the above is not accurate.

In the offseason, the Texans signed a good safety in Danieal Manning and a Pro Bowl cornerback in Jonathan Joseph.

Then in the draft, they took JJ Watt in the first round and Brooks Reed in the second. Both players were highly regarded and both players are starting.

On top of that, 2009 second rounder Connor Barwin who missed all of 2010, came back healthy and built upon his promising 2009 season.

The Texans minimally added 4 starters this year who were not on the team the year before.

They also had a young and improving defensive group including recent first rounders Brian Cushing (2009) and Kareem Jackson (2010).

Some of Houston's defensive improvement can be credited to Wade Phillips (even though his Dallas defenses were a mixed bag) and some of the improvement has to be given to the 4 new players/starters and the improving and highly-drafted second and third year players.