Chris Kelsay's stats

My linkhttp://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4506/chris-kelsay

Chris Kelsay: Lights On.

He has dwindled into nothing. If he doesn't get cut after this season, something is seriously wrong. Just look at his career stats. He used to split snaps with Denney and still put up decent numbers. Now he is an "every down" player and can't do ANYTHING. This year he has only 1 sack (In the Redskins game where they were nearly automatic) and 0 tackles for a loss. 20 total tackles, 12 solo (mostly ugly for big gains) and 0 for every other stat. Does any other starting OLB in the NFL have such non-exsistant stats? I think it takes more than a "high motor" to be in the NFL. You have to make a play once in a while. AT LEAST one good play per season.

He has dwindled into nothing. If he doesn't get cut after this season, something is seriously wrong. Just look at his career stats. He used to split snaps with Denney and still put up decent numbers. Now he is an "every down" player and can't do ANYTHING. This year he has only 1 sack (In the Redskins game where they were nearly automatic) and 0 tackles for a loss. 20 total tackles, 12 solo (mostly ugly for big gains) and 0 for every other stat. Does any other starting OLB in the NFL have such non-exsistant stats? I think it takes more than a "high motor" to be in the NFL. You have to make a play once in a while. AT LEAST one good play per season.

You're absolutely right. Of all the suspect front office maneuvers from the past couple years, the Kelsay extension was the worst. There's obviously very little left in his tank, and you're right - he was much more effective as part of a DL rotation. Schoebel on the opposite side didn't hurt either.

"High motor" is just a euphemism for "under-talented white guy" anyways, and Chris Kelsay is the perfect embodiment of it.

Just another example of the Bills front office genius, signing him to another contract.

:doh:

I completely agree. No player in the NFL has been rewarded for so long for playing mediocre football. If these are the types of players we want to make career Bills, then we've got big problems.

And now I can just see these buffoons letting one of our best players, Stevie Johnson, walk out the door. And on top of that THE BEST player, Freddy Jackson, is not being rewarded for carrying this team on his shoulders the past 2 seasons. Don't give me this crap that he's still under contract either. We've resigned Schobel and Kelsay when they had several years left on their contract before.

DO YOUR JOB Overdorf, Littman, and Nix. If you can't sign good players or reward our best players, then GTFO.

I think that Kelsay is a bigger presence than most believe. He probably sniffs the QB more than anyone on the team, lol. :wallbash:

No but really, I think the original plan was to have Kelsay and Merriman force things into the middle, where our actual talent was. Problem is, the whole front seven is just riddled with injuries.

Couldn't have Aaron Maybin played this role at the very worst? At least we would have known 100% without a shadow of a doubt if the kid could play or not after a full season of "real" in game snaps.

That's what I don't get. You keep and overpay and overplay (starting) an expensive, grossly overpaid vet but cut a disappointing yet unproven high 1st round draft pick with little NFL experience.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I completely agree. No player in the NFL has been rewarded for so long for playing mediocre football. If these are the types of players we want to make career Bills, then we've got big problems.

And now I can just see these buffoons letting one of our best players, Stevie Johnson, walk out the door. And on top of that THE BEST player, Freddy Jackson, is not being rewarded for carrying this team on his shoulders the past 2 seasons. Don't give me this crap that he's still under contract either. We've resigned Schobel and Kelsay when they had several years left on their contract before.

DO YOUR JOB Overdorf, Littman, and Nix. If you can't sign good players or reward our best players, then GTFO.

If, if? There's no IF about it.

Just another example of the Bills front office genius, signing him to another contract.

:doh:

Oh yes, the contract. That's the aspect that really defies belief. Kelsay is the epitome of a League Minimum Salary player. Always has been. Even when he was getting ~3 sacks per season.

I don't know. Maybe it wasn't as obvious last year, but this year the secret is out. Even the TV commentators before the Tennesee game said we'd lose because of Kelsay and Spencer Johnson, and that was pretty much spot on. Chris Johnson tried to bounce every run outside and made it look easy. The Chargers did pretty much the same thing. Worked everytime without fail.

Edited by mountainwampus

From an ESPN article (10/07/10): http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5658554

Nix also defended the team's decision to sign veteran linebacker Chris Kelsay to a four-year contract extension potentially worth $24 million. The move was criticized as being overpriced, because Kelsay -- though a seven-year starter -- hasn't made a significant impact on defense since being selected by Buffalo in the second round of the 2003 draft.

Nix said the deal was struck in part because Kelsay was identified as a core leader.

"We decided that we've got four, five, six guys like that, maybe not great players, but good players, who set the tone," Nix said. "Chris Kelsay is a good player. He exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want them to be."

That is our GM. Sorry folks. Was there really other teams lining up to sign this guy. I highly doubt it.

One more quote: referring to Trentative

"Buffalo has got people all over the league that have been here that are playing good for other people," Nix said. "I didn't want to come in here and cut guys that could help us win. So when we got into the regular season and it didn't work out ... we decided that wasn't the answer for us or for him. So we made the change."

We better pay Freddy and Stevie

From an ESPN article (10/07/10): http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5658554

Nix said the deal was struck in part because Kelsay was identified as a core leader.

"We decided that we've got four, five, six guys like that, maybe not great players, but good players, who set the tone," Nix said. "Chris Kelsay is a good player. He exemplifies what we want players to do and how we want them to be."

OMG!!! Nix is absolutely clueless. At this point, the race card is only thing that makes sense.

"He exemplifies what (color) we want players to be and how we want them to be (white)"

Nix also defended the team's decision to sign veteran linebacker Chris Kelsay to a four-year contract extension potentially worth $24 million. The move was criticized as being overpriced, because Kelsay -- though a seven-year starter -- hasn't made a significant impact on defense since being selected by Buffalo in the second round of the 2003 draft.

That is our GM. Sorry folks. Was there really other teams lining up to sign this guy. I highly doubt it.

He is not a good player. He's a weak player on a weak defense. He is a liability, pure and simple.

If you insist on keeping guys like him, that's fine, just don't overpay for no apparent reason, and keep him off the field.

"Buffalo has got people all over the league that have been here that are playing good for other people," Nix said. "I didn't want to come in here and cut guys that could help us win. So when we got into the regular season and it didn't work out ... we decided that wasn't the answer for us or for him. So we made the change."

We better pay Freddy and Stevie

Kelsay- boneheaded move. But in bold is a point that we've been wishing a GM would get for years.

Couldn't have Aaron Maybin played this role at the very worst? At least we would have known 100% without a shadow of a doubt if the kid could play or not after a full season of "real" in game snaps.

That's what I don't get. You keep and overpay and overplay (starting) an expensive, grossly overpaid vet but cut a disappointing yet unproven high 1st round draft pick with little NFL experience.

Umm NO, not even close. People love to hate Kelsay and put all the blame for the defense on him...despite the stats he is by far our best OLB, and definitely the strongest. He is the ONLY one that pushes the pocket consistently, granted he is no star and no he does not have the sacks you would like. Still he is an average player on an awful team, there are way bigger problems than Kelsay.

And to suggest Maybin could do what Kelsey does, are you serious? Maybin is a twig with no power or natural instincts. Sure he can rush the passer on occasion, but has no strength to beat even one on one blocking...Playing the run? Forget about it, he couldn't tackle my grandmother, and she's already dead! Maybin has found a niche with a very strong defensive team playing on 3rd and longs only...He doesn't resemble anything close to a starting LB.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Your kidding right?? Maybin gets knocked on his can with chip blocks by RBs. If Kelsay played for the Jets you would be bitching that the front office is is stupid for letting a good player go.

He is not a good player. He's a weak player on a weak defense. He is a liability, pure and simple.

If you insist on keeping guys like him, that's fine, just don't overpay for no apparent reason, and keep him off the field.

It's funny that guys keep attacking Kelsay...Other than Dareus he is the only one who comes anywhere near the QB. Sure he is no star, average at best...but of all the problems on this team why attack the player that ISN'T one? What about the other side? Merriman is washed up, Moats and Batten have been invisible to say the least. Sheppard is still learning and struggling.

Barnett has been our only other consistent LB. Opposing teams only have to do 2 things against the pass, double Dareus, and double Kelsay (which they do on most plays). Other than those 2 no one else is even close to a threat.

Kelsay is no star as I have said, but the Bill's had NO ONE else. They picked up Merriman and Barnett (at least one good pickup), and had "prospects" of Batten and Moats...Those guys didn't step up, actually they have been awful. Don't blame Keslay because no one else has played better than him.

It's funny that guys keep attacking Kelsay...Other than Dareus he is the only one who comes anywhere near the QB. Sure he is no star, average at best...but of all the problems on this team why attack the player that ISN'T one? What about the other side? Merriman is washed up, Moats and Batten have been invisible to say the least. Sheppard is still learning and struggling.

Barnett has been our only other consistent LB. Opposing teams only have to do 2 things against the pass, double Dareus, and double Kelsay (which they do on most plays). Other than those 2 no one else is even close to a threat.

Kelsay is no star as I have said, but the Bill's had NO ONE else. They picked up Merriman and Barnett (at least one good pickup), and had "prospects" of Batten and Moats...Those guys didn't step up, actually they have been awful. Don't blame Keslay because no one else has played better than him.

Good point. And he isn't paid like a star, either. You'd think he was getting Peppers money with the way people go on about his contract. He's paid like a solid starter and team leader (which he is for better or worse). It's not like the Bills take a huge hit if they decide to cut him either. His contract, like Fitz's is not an anchor for the team at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Wrong. When Kelsay was injured, our pass rush looked ferocious against Philly. Both Moats and Batten have actual STATS despite playing a fraction of what Kelsay has. They both have .5 sacks. Batten has 2 tackles for losses, a fumble recovery and 23 tackles. Moats has one tackle for a loss and pretty much ended Favre's career last season. I'm not saying those guys are great, but they have way more upside than Kelsay. He is horrible and must be cut.