computer problem

todd

I have a new ASUS board - and it won't recognize my new SATA drive. There's an option on the board to do a low level format through the RAID controller, but it only gets about 10% through then stops. Any ideas?

Todd, are the SATA drives that much faster than the ATA drives? I'm thinking about jumping to one of them (upgrade fever). Do you have a power supply that is SATA ready or do you have the adapter cable?

Just curious........ :P

Todd, are the SATA drives that much faster than the ATA drives? I'm thinking about jumping to one of them (upgrade fever). Do you have a power supply that is SATA ready or do you have the adapter cable?

Just curious........ :P

177720[/snapback]

I think the 10000 RPM ones are. That's what I have. I have a new PS with native SATA support.

As far as speed goes, I'm expecting it will be faster since the HD I/O is the biggest bottleneck at this point for most systems.

Todd Id love to help you but I know nothing of sata. Only thing I could ask is do you have the latest bios for the mobo? I go to this site all the time for amd related help. On a quick glance I couldnt find anything relating to your problem but maybe you can find something. Join the forums and ask Im sure someone will help you.

http://www.amdmb.com/index.php

Todd sounds like something is wrong with the motherboard. Just make sure you are not doing a low level format because they can be tricky.

I have the same exact board and a Seagate 120GB SATA Drive and the only problems I had was that I had to press F6 during the format and install of Windows XP to install the SATA drivers. The board supports SATA but not natively so the board thinks this is SCSI drive. You must hit F6 real quick to install the drivers or install will fail because the drive cannot be seen.

Check with ASUS however, their tech support in my opinion was very good when I built my 2 pc's this year. Seems odd that both HD formats would fail during format considering that these drive types are on 2 different areas of the board.

Merry Christmas to you and everybody on the Board!!!

Ron

There have been a couple times I have trouble formating drives. Once the jumper on the hd was on the wrong pins. Another time, while not messing up on the actual format, it was blue screening on me ont he XP install. That was due to bad memory.

Is your mobo bus frequency set to the same as the memory frequency in your BIOS? I have that board and noticed it tried to default to the full capability of my Ram and didn't initially match the Mobo bus speed. Also , is that a "primary" HD?

For all who care, I figured it out.

I have a new vid card that I installed on the mobo in the process of building the machine. ATI Raedon all-in-wonder 9800 Pro. Anyway, there's a cooling fan on it, and there was a wire hitting the center part of the fan and slowing it down. The card would overheat because it was getting too hot - the fan wasn't spinning fast enough. That's why the SATA drive wouldn't format, and all kinds of odd stuff would happen during install. As soon as I fixed that, everything was great!

I highly recommend the 10,000 RPM SATA drives. Screaming fast.