Thoughts about our personnel running a college offense

dayman

I'm not saying we go to this exclusively but hear me out.

Fred takes the snap. Nobody reads the developments on the line better than him. He will stick his nose up there and get 4 yards if it's there every time. Teams would have to respect that. If it's not, pitch it to CJ. We drafted the kid in the 1st. He was explosive on college. He's looked very quick for us in flashes. Get the kid involved. I have a hard time believing he couldn't take a pitch like a champion. Then you have Brad Smith out wide. He comes in motion for the hand off the other way. He runs reverses well and could pull up at any point and throw a simple high/low route Stevie/Nelson run. Nobody stretches out the play behind the line better than him. At times he can just come in motion presnap and be the QB himself and CJ can move out wide.

Fred, CJ, and Smith seem to me like they could make this work. Nelson did this in college he can operate out there under this scheme. Stevie will do whatever the hell we tell him to. Light a fire under the line get them moving downhill and throw some gimmicky stuff out there to keep us winning this year. Right now we are struggling.

Anyone else think those 3 guys in particular are well suited for this sort of offense?

To have about 5 option plays for brad smith would make sense...we are in a copy cat league sooooo you never know

Ya and what I'm saying is Smith should start out wide and he can come in motion and bump CJ out wide to run those when we want. But what we REALLY could succeed with is basically the Urban Meyer scheme w/ FRED taking the snap and CJ as the pitchman. Smith in the slot coming in motion it's basically a tripple option. Fred can hand it right away to Smith who will run weakside or stretch it and then make a high/low read throwing it to stevie or david. If fred keeps it he runs the regular option w/ CJ as pitchman.

Edited by dayman

the Wildcat just tells the D your running the ball. That why I dont like it.

What I would like to see is more play action. We have the best RB in Football, teams will have to respect the play action and it will open up those 10-15 yd routes that seem to be missing in Chans offense.

Plus I would like to see CJ or Brad on a reverse sometimes to get them more touches.

Keep giving Smith the ball in 3rd and very short, he was picking up 3rd and short earlier this season.

the Wildcat just tells the D your running the ball. That why I dont like it.

What I would like to see is more play action. We have the best RB in Football, teams will have to respect the play action and it will open up those 10-15 yd routes that seem to be missing in Chans offense.

Plus I would like to see CJ or Brad on a reverse sometimes to get them more touches.

Keep giving Smith the ball in 3rd and very short, he was picking up 3rd and short earlier this season.

But what I'm saying is not to run the wildcat. Literally run the Meyer Spread option. It's much more than the wildcat.

I think its works well in college but the pros LB's and DE's are much faster. I think it would be too easy to defend at the Pro level to work effectively.

But Tebow had 8 3-and-outs before leading a scoring drive last night so clearly it's the future of the NFL.

Good ideas as a wrinkle but there is no way a team like Buffalo is willing to change their entire offensive philosophy during the season. Denver did it because they benched Orton and are playing off of Tebow's strength (running) and avoiding his weakness (passing).

I'm saying run 12 plays a game like this. Not change the entire offense. And I agree it isn't the future of the NFL and I don't think Tebow will sustain his success but I would hardly knock this scheme based on last night KC in CT, Denver dominated our effort against that D.