We need a Wahmbulance STAT!

IMO, that's a great piece.

Sports is taken far too seriously in this country. Good for him for deciding to put his energies elsewhere.

Sorry, but no.

I would totally agree with you if the content of the piece actually matched its admirable thesis. There's nothing in there suggesting an actual revelation about what's important in life. "Maybe I'll become a better parent or husband", he says with a shrug.

It's quite evident that the author is simply frustrated that not enough victory parades are running through the streets of Philly. Waaaah, the Phillies haven't won the World Series since 2008. Waaaah, every Eagles season is the same 10-6 nightmare where we lose in the playoffs. Waaaah no Sixers this year. Waaaah, I don't even care about hockey but the Flyers always lose in the playoffs.

And then the bit about Penn State...he's not upset that kids got raped, he's upset that watching sports news makes him sad now. :cry:

Like you said, nobody should obsess over sports. Energies should be spent elsewhere. This guy, though, is completely insincere about that message.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I actually find it pretty lame, too, and I know the Philly sports fan well enough that a large majority of those folks will see this guy as a major whiner, too. I get tired of these morons who make these grandiose gestures when they quit being a fan or "retire". Pathetic.

I actually find it pretty lame, too, and I know the Philly sports fan well enough that a large majority of those folks will see this guy as a major whiner, too. I get tired of these morons who make these grandiose gestures when they quit being a fan or "retire". Pathetic.

In typical Philadelphia fan fashion, he will be back as soon as they start winning again.

In typical Philadelphia fan fashion, he will be back as soon as they start winning again.

True. Note he did say being an "avid" fan was what he was retiring from, not being a fan.

At the end of the day, if sports is that big of a deal to you in the first place, you might need to reset your priorities.

Well, perhaps...but while fans there get frustrated just like anywhere else, the difference is that fans in Philly don't become disloyal bandwagon jumpers. They stay true to their team, and I respect that. I've said it before on here, but that's one of the things I can't stand about people in Atlanta. It's one thing that we have a lot of transplants who have various team loyalties. But there are a LOT of people here who are front running bandwagon jumpers. In Buffalo, Philly, etc, when the teams are winning you start seeing more hats, jerseys, flags and such. When they aren't winning you're likely to see less of that. In Atlanta, when the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks are winning, you see lots of Atlanta gear. When they aren't winning, you see lots of OTHER teams gear. I'll take the Philly fans over the fans here any day of the week.