Will I ever learn?

Bowl Winner

So I’m sitting and watching the game with my brother-in-law who is an avid Cowboys fan and watching him enjoy the 3 touchdown lead, when I see David Nelson run over and make a circus act out of the fact that he scored a touchdown by giving his girlfriend the ball. In retrospect he must feel like a fool today when his team got hammered in front of her. For about the 200th time in my life I of course got to feel like a total idiot for being a long standing Bills fan. Then it came to me. I realized that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and then expecting a different result. It’s not wrong to love a team or to get stoked about the games they play, and believe me when I tell you I have. What is wrong is supporting the same old pile of crap that the Wilson owned organization has fed us over the years and expecting something different will happen.

When you look at the organization we played yesterday it’s just foolish to think we could ever beat a team like that. Why? Because real effort has gone into building that team. The owner will spend freely to keep his talent on his field. They don’t make big mistakes in the draft and the people they bring in are good players, coaches, and managers. They can tear down an undrafted free agent running back’s house and no one cares. Why? Because winners win, and no one wants anything to do with anyone who isn’t a winner. In short, they do a lot of intelligent things to build and maintain their franchise and their fans have a lot to be proud of because of it.

No one dislikes Jerry Jones more than I do. In his world it’s all about him and no one else. Look at the recent collective bargaining talks that went on earlier this year. You saw his face everywhere. His influence was in every meeting and behind every closed door. Bob Kraft was right there with him. Kraft’s franchise is built the same way and guess what? They win too. They didn’t win anything until he bought the team and he’s changed Foxboro forever. Where was Wilson in the collective talks? The only time I heard his name is when he’s the only one to object to whatever it is that’s decided.

Let’s look at the contrast. I’m from western New York and I moved away during the Carter administration because there weren’t any good jobs and the economy was abysmal. That condition hasn’t changed much in 30 years, yet dedicated Bills fans who live in western New York spend money they don’t have to support a franchise that constantly threatens to be taken away and moved somewhere where the funds exist to support the team. Our funds have supported the team handsomely but that’s neither here nor there. Wilson and Wilson alone is the beneficiary of the money we’ve all spent. That money hasn’t gone into talented high quality players, good management, high visibility coaches, or real efforts to get involved in NFL matters that endear our team to the league.

Gailey has done a good job with the offense, but he has the Super bowl Cowboy’s defensive coordinator on his staff and he’s a line backers coach while Edwards continues to set his guys up for a 400 yard per game failure? Can anyone truly justify this to me? It’s really not all Edwards fault. Every time we have a quality player on either side of the ball Wilson refuses to pay the guy what he’s worth and they all leave the team. Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, and Nate Clements to name a few. I won’t include Poz here because he was another high draft pick that couldn’t cover his own grandmother. I mean who do we have on defense? You’ve got Dareus, Barnett and McGee. Who else stands out? Maybe Wilson? Our secondary is woeful. Leodis McKelvin? He's another draft wiff just like Whitener was. Who are the backups? Nobody. That’s who.

Back to the offense which is comprised of 7th rounder’s and UFA’s except for Wood and Levitre. Gailey had a scheme, and it worked for a while until real defensive coordinators picked the lock on it. Now what? There is no answer and again, there are no backups. What team in the league doesn’t have a backup for every O-line position? Us. What team is too cheap to pay for a blue chip LT like Jason Peters? Us. We needed the best Left tackle in the draft and who do we pick? Spiller. We need the best pass rusher in the draft and who do we pick? Orakpo? Nope. Maybin. I mean really, could it be done more incorrectly? I like Fitz and Jackson and Johnson, but if you lock down Jackson and Johnson, then what? Then we’re done.

Let’s face it, until we get an owner like Woody Johnson, Kraft or Jones it will be the same every year, but when we do get that owner the team will be gone. Im 48 years old, and for as long as I have been a fan I’ve had to come to the conclusion annually that the year we are in is not our year. Then the words inevitably come. “Next year.” Things will be better next year. How many next years do we all have? I feel like Charlie Brown kicking the football. Every year Lucy talks him into doing it and every year, he gets burned and embarrassed.

Well written. It's hard to believe that each year's draft is like a repeat of the prior -- regardless of who is making the calls. I keep telling myself that one of these years our FO will hit a grand slam with our draft, at least the first couple of rounds anyhow.

However, I don't feel as completely hopeless as I think you do. I like our "triplets" of Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Stevie on offense. And I like our offensive line as a whole, and I think there is outstanding individual talent there, also (Wood, Andy, Hairston). Do we need other pieces? -- yes of course! And we all know what those areas are. But, we're not that far away on that side of the ball.

Defense is another story. 100% agree on the "Super Bowl" DC that we have waiting in the shadows. The time is now to make the change and to install a 4-3, which, let's face it, we moreso have the personnel to run. No way we should be running a 3-4 with our LB corps as thin as they are. (The "plan" to stock our D with 3-4 type of guys has been a failure mostly.) And Kyle and Dareus are suited to play side-by-side as interior linemen. I like the secondary's talent, but I think it is badly coached. Badly, badly, badly coached.

That being said, I still like the progress we have made in Year Two, and I look forward to things getting better in spite of the last two Sundays.

Btw, Antoine Winfield is the only FA that I was upset the Bills didn't resign (best open field tackler I can recall).

Edited by The Kaz

i found myself getting upset over the last two weeks also. Thinking, "here we go again". Then I reminded myself that i didn't expect the bills to win the Superbowl this year. I also reminded myself that, it's a game, and if they never win the Superbowl in my lifetime, i don't really care.

I will not claim to have all the answers like 95% of the people on this board, and probably 95% of bills fans in general. The same people who probably have zero real world professional football experience.

Everyone has a right to get stressed out over whatever they want, but it seems like a huge waste to me.

I will root for my team. Maybe one day the bills will win the big one, we shall see.

Signed,

One of the vast majority of bills fans who don't have a clue on what it takes to successfully run an NFL Franchise.

great, great post Bowl winner. I too, like The Kaz pointed out, think I am bit more optimistic than you. I think this team is finally headed in the right direction after 15 years of flailing around with no plan. I think Nix and Gailey are allowed another year (or two) to see if their whole sale changes can work...but a new defensive coordinator/system is a must...

great analysis of Buffalo as a whole too, im very optimistic this team stays in Buffalo after Ralphie dies though...even Golisano has said he would temporarily buy the bills if it meant keeping them in Buffalo, so theres buyers out there who want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, and no real market for the team elsewhere (only two teams in danger of moving are the Jags and the Vikings, and thats due to poor attendance and stadium issues, neither of which are a problem in buffalo, sure The Ralph is old but its no where near deteoriating and we dont have a roof to collapse)

so, all in all, keep the faith brother...thats what we (insane) fans do!

great, great post Bowl winner. I too, like The Kaz pointed out, think I am bit more optimistic than you. I think this team is finally headed in the right direction after 15 years of flailing around with no plan. I think Nix and Gailey are allowed another year (or two) to see if their whole sale changes can work...but a new defensive coordinator/system is a must...

great analysis of Buffalo as a whole too, im very optimistic this team stays in Buffalo after Ralphie dies though...even Golisano has said he would temporarily buy the bills if it meant keeping them in Buffalo, so theres buyers out there who want to keep the Bills in Buffalo, and no real market for the team elsewhere (only two teams in danger of moving are the Jags and the Vikings, and thats due to poor attendance and stadium issues, neither of which are a problem in buffalo, sure The Ralph is old but its no where near deteoriating and we dont have a roof to collapse)

so, all in all, keep the faith brother...thats what we (insane) fans do!

Thanks for the insight on the Bills staying in Buffalo. We dont get that kind of insider information here in Patriot country. If they were to leave western New York, I cant say with any certanty I would follow the team.