Bills Offensive Funk

In all fairness, we moved the ball fairly well in the 4th quarter and arguably we were one different 4th down call from more points. It felt like once we stopped playing with reserve we made a few things happen. Also, I think the offense went on cruise control after the opening 2nd half score in the Toronto game, mostly relying on our defense. This upcoming game will give us clarity on if were truly in a funk or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyways, this topic was started right after the first Jets-Bills game. I wanted to re-visit it now that we've played them twice.

In the original post, I said that Fitz has to become less obsessive about getting the ball out quickly and that the Bills O needs to use more double moves and longer-developing pass plays at the risk of more sacks. I said that Fitz has to use his legs with greater frequency to buy time so the defense breaks down and also to run the ball when our WRs are being pressed in man coverage because when a QB scrambles for a first down on a passing down, it's very deflating to the defense.

The Bills did all those things against the Jets in the rematch and the offense looked much better… in spite of giving up zero sacks in the first game and 3 sacks in the second game. We took greater risks and we reaped greater rewards.

Fitz also rushed the ball 5 times for 38 yards when his receivers were covered. He ended up running the ball on 5 of 44 pass plays… 11.44% of the total pass plays.

I had also expressed disappointment in the last month that Gailey in particular had not introduced new wrinkles and raised his game as defenses were catching up with the Bills offense. Clearly, Gailey devised a much better plan for the second Jets game.

Ten percent of this post is to show optimism that Gailey is in fact, the offensive mastermind that many of us want to believe that he is. The Jets are a very good defense and our offense is decimated by injuries. Yet we went into their house and made a strong offensive showing.

Hopefully this carries over into the Tennessee game because I'd really love to see a Bills win.

But Fitz isn't a great scrambler and he can't throw it deep anyway.

Fitz is actually a very competent runner, has been since college days.

Anyways, this topic was started right after the first Jets-Bills game. I wanted to re-visit it now that we've played them twice.

In the original post, I said that Fitz has to become less obsessive about getting the ball out quickly and that the Bills O needs to use more double moves and longer-developing pass plays at the risk of more sacks. I said that Fitz has to use his legs with greater frequency to buy time so the defense breaks down and also to run the ball when our WRs are being pressed in man coverage because when a QB scrambles for a first down on a passing down, it's very deflating to the defense.

The Bills did all those things against the Jets in the rematch and the offense looked much better… in spite of giving up zero sacks in the first game and 3 sacks in the second game. We took greater risks and we reaped greater rewards.

Fitz also rushed the ball 5 times for 38 yards when his receivers were covered. He ended up running the ball on 5 of 44 pass plays… 11.44% of the total pass plays.

I had also expressed disappointment in the last month that Gailey in particular had not introduced new wrinkles and raised his game as defenses were catching up with the Bills offense. Clearly, Gailey devised a much better plan for the second Jets game.

Ten percent of this post is to show optimism that Gailey is in fact, the offensive mastermind that many of us want to believe that he is. The Jets are a very good defense and our offense is decimated by injuries. Yet we went into their house and made a strong offensive showing.

Hopefully this carries over into the Tennessee game because I'd really love to see a Bills win.

SJBF, great points in your original post and great reprise. I had noted that in the pregame presser, Ryan said something to the effect of "Fitzpatrick gets the ball out in under 2 seconds and that's not necessarily good. We know we won't get sacks and we're all right with that".

I think some of Fitz interceptions in the blowout losses were due to rushing the ball out under pressure, misreading coverage. This time he played much smarter and took the hit when he needed to.

As a general rule, I think it's a good thing, not a bad thing, that Fitz running plays and percentages have declined, and when he does run, he more often runs out of bounds (I have yet to see him slide - have you?). Number one, he needs to take care of his body and not put his shoulder down like an RB. Number two, some interesting studies on QB effectiveness have shown that scrambling QB are less effective than QB who stay put and throw. But mobility in the pocket a la Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers helps, and you're right, he has to be willing to hold onto the ball longer, let plays develop, and risk taking more sacks.

Two places where I think Fitz could improve his game are, one, throwing the ball away wisely instead of taking the coverage sack at times, and two, work on better accuracy when he's off balance.

Still a Fitz fan and a Gailey fan...although the 3 games previous to the jets reprise certainly had my faith on the ropes.YES on using his legs more(an undertapped resource--Fitz is a good athlete) and YES on risk taking-esp after Ds have been drawing in/tightening up on 'us'.

Fitz needs to take control more in the future and will himself and the team to good performances if he wants to move up to that next level of QBing.

3 game rough patches will happen.3 game disaster stretches just can't be allowed to happen.

Still a Fitz fan and a Gailey fan...although the 3 games previous to the jets reprise certainly had my faith on the ropes.YES on using his legs more(an undertapped resource--Fitz is a good athlete) and YES on risk taking-esp after Ds have been drawing in/tightening up on 'us'.

Fitz needs to take control more in the future and will himself and the team to good performances if he wants to move up to that next level of QBing.

3 game rough patches will happen.3 game disaster stretches just can't be allowed to happen.

I'm also still a Fitz and Gailey fan. I believe they're capable of doing some exceptional things.

Your bolded comment is exactly what I've been thinking lately.

In watching Drew Brees during the 3-4 minutes of game plan meeting video they showed during the Saints-Giants game Monday night, you could see that Brees was as opinionated, forceful, and in charge of the meeting as Sean Payton and OC Pete Carmichael. In fact Brees seemed to be running the meeting most of the time.

At some point, an elite or aspiring elite QB has to be able to transcend his coaching, like a concert violinist transcends his/her teacher (who more often than not, was never a concert violinist). Coaching only takes an athlete so far. Elite athletes, especially QBs, go where coaching cannot take them. Not saying Fitz will become elite but in order for him to improve, he has to transcend Gailey and not be limited by what coaches tell him.

BTW, the greatest live quarterback performance I ever witnessed was seeing Drew Brees dissect a pretty good Bills defense in 2005.

He threw downfield often, fit balls into tight windows and pummeled the Bills, 48-10.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200511200sdg.htm

Aaron Schobel, Terrence McGee, London Fletcher, Angelo Crowell, Nate Clements, Lawyer Milloy, and company were powerless to stop him. His accuracy, even on throws far downfield was surgical.

There was a bit of comment i heard/read from Ryan and then alluded (?) to by The Chan.

Those last throws to stevie at the end of the jets game were called by Fitz before the line up. He had seen somethings and decided that he would make the decision to win or lose the game going against their #1+ CB. It was a smart call and we nearly pulled it off. It took some cajones too.

He will improve as the players around him do and will learn to carry the team soon enough in my humble estimation. Chan has done a great job with him.

And i agree they make each other look good. When they are good, i mean!