Root Cause Thread

1. Liberalism

2. Liberalism

3. Everything bad is casued by liberalism

See, easy.

The primary component of liberalism is the use of force, by the government, against those who have not [necessarily]used force against it or others.

It is based on the imposition of the liberal's will on others, and the imposition of one's will upon another is the root of all evil.

And liberals typically find that it's evil not to force supposedly free citizens to assist whoever the govt deems worthy and to whatever extent is demanded. It's pretty backwards shiit.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B

I won't offer a list of solutions here (I do have some), but I do want to respond to something Rob said. A strong liberal arts education IS valuable because it creates broader, critical-thinking individuals. And Businesses DO want people with applied skills who can think critically and communicate. You hire an accountant from Bryant & Stratton, you hire a manager from a HE institution that includes a strong liberal arts background along with an accounting degree (a solution is to make sure students get both applied and liberal arts skills).

I don't disagree in an absolute sense, but I'd say it's more often the exception than the rule. Restaurants and coffee shops are filled across the nation with psychology, philosophy, art, etc. majors who bought into the bull **** line that just having a college degree opens countless doors to prosperous career paths. Having a liberal arts degree myself, I don't wholly discount its value, but a private lender would go out of business in a hurry banking on the monetary returns expected to flow from a sociology degree.

I hereby state, for the record: I won't do this.

The problem is: your family will. Unless you get advance directives...and few do.

Wrong thread Bucko! I am just getting to the point (for once in my life) and doing (answering the question) what the OP wanted. No cryptic message here.

Liberalism=Root Cause of ALL Bad!

Signed,

OCinBuffalo

That is not what I think. Not even close actually.

Signed,

OCinBuffalo

PS. I am not a liberal, so by definition, I do not appreciate you telling me what position I am supposed to have. I have some thoughts on this, but that wasn't the reason that I started this thread. If you really want to know what I think, all you have to do is ask. However, I won't answer you in this thread. That has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

==================================

I find it highly amusing that me asking 2 straightforward questions has been interpreted as it has.

Could this be the root cause for me starting this thread? :o

I don't know...perhaps we need TPS and EEI to cast more unfounded aspersions.

Did anybody else find TPS's post hysterical? He made the best case for why these costs are rising....while disagreeing with himself...at the same time, and then trying to blame me for his contradictions. :lol: Cognitive Dissonance......

and a hell of a strawman....to which TPS proceeded to add a flesh, bone, blood and internal organs...such that we end up with pretty just a man.

The problem is: your family will. Unless you get advance directives...and few do.

That is not what I think. Not even close actually.

Signed,

OCinBuffalo

PS. I am not a liberal, so by definition, I do not appreciate you telling me what position I am supposed to have. I have some thoughts on this, but that wasn't the reason that I started this thread. If you really want to know what I think, all you have to do is ask. However, I won't answer you in this thread. That has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

I find it highly amusing that me asking 2 straightforward questions has been interpreted as it has.

Could this be the root cause for me starting this thread? :o

I don't know...perhaps we need TPS and EEI to cast more unfounded aspersions.

Did anybody else find TPS's post hysterical? He made the best case for why these costs are rising....while disagreeing with himself...at the same time, and then trying to blame me for his contradictions. :lol: Cognitive Dissonance......

and a hell of a strawman....to which TPS proceeded to add a flesh, bone, blood and internal organs...such that we end up with pretty just a man.

Ouch! You got me ocTom.

I've made it abundantly clear: if I'm incapable of not just productively but entertainingly spending my time (i.e. if I can't !@#$ with you dipshits here), not only are no heroic steps to be taken to prolong my existence, but active steps should be taken to shorten it. And if Congress tries to pass a law to keep me alive, a la Terry Schiavo, I want to take them with me.

That's above and beyond your questionable assumption that my family wants me around any more than you dipshits here do. :w00t:

I'm interested to know. What's your purpose. Just curious.

I'm interested to know. What's your purpose. Just curious.

Re-read the thread. Isn't it obvious?

We have a bunch of people who can't really agree on the root cause. If you can't define the problem fully and accurately, talking solutions is a waste of time.

As I said, for all TPS' whining, he made a convincing case for the root causes, but argued against them at the same time. See, at least TPS has a semblance of what we would call a problem solving methodology about him. It's a little schizophrenic, but it's better than what we here from most people on the left. I have no idea how my questions = I think it's the governments "fault". Rising costs can happen for a number of reasons, and in my experience, they rarely happen intentionally. (Edit: usually happens because some group/division/department head does something without thinking about its effects on another group/division/department, and nobody notices, or the affected guy just folds it into his/her budget without a second thought, or because s/he doesn't want yet another fight with the other manager)

I honestly can't say I believe it is the government's fault, never mind whether it is liberal's fault. The point of this thread is simple: we don't really know what is causing the problems. Instead of focusing on that, we are all too quick to haul out the ACME box and Wile E. Coyote our way into some "solution" based on nothing more than emotion and/or ideology.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Tuition keeps going up because availability of money to fund it keeps going up. Government grants, subsidies, and guarantees on student loans make the money available and therefore the schools can charge that. It's not terribly different from the way creative interest only mortgages made obscene amounts of money available to people to buy houses they couldn't afford -> prices skyrocketed.

It's interesting to me that the government (particularly Democrats) hold sacred an industry that preys upon naive teenagers by conning them into signing up for monumental debt burdens on the implied promise that just having some miscellaneous degree with no marketable skills is not only a good idea, it's a great idea.

For however irresponsible bankers were in lending to insolvent home buyers, how responsible is it to sign an 18 year old up for a $60k+ commitment without first evaluating the viablility of that students projected career path?

I agree with some of this.

The answer is definitely right.......its rent seeking. So long as there are available funds, colleges will raise their fees to maximize access to those available funds. There's more to it than just the government as so much of school costs are paid through private loans and/or individual expenditure but the higher education system has flipped to a business model seeking to maximize profits.

As for the "miscellaneous degrees with no marketable skills" I think thats tremendously overstated. Here is a link for the Top 10 college majors. http://www.princetonreview.com/college/top-ten-majors.aspx

1. Business Administration

2. Psychology

3. Nursing

4. Biology/Biological Sciences

5. Education

6. English Language and Lit

7. Economics

8. Communications

9. Political Science

10. Computer Information Sciences

I think most of those are very viable in today's work. Psychology isn't, unless you're planning on getting more schooling (though I'd suggest that its incredibly valuable in other ways). English is pretty "useless" in terms of generating a ton of jobs (though again I'd suggest that having an expertise in regards to English is pretty valuable) and Communications is questionably valuable (though all my communication/speech friends have good jobs).

So yeah, there are a few people here and there with degrees that don't exactly funnel into systems that have great jobs waiting at the end. But there are tons of kids that major in things that walk right into the work force (CIS and nursing in particular).

The fact is, college used to be less of an automatic thing. So college was a legitimate option for gaining advanced training over a large portion of others which resulted in you being the most suitable candidate for a job. Unfortunately, everyone started going to college which sort of eliminated the competitive value of it....or at the very least shift that competitive value toward the upper echelon. You're still getting a job if you have a "useless" degree from Stanford or Princeton...just maybe not from Brockport or St. John Fisher.

The entire way that colleges run today SHOULD be looked at and reformed. I think they should all be non-profits. I don't really see the value in a school like Harvard hoarding a 35 billion dollar endowment. TMQ talked about it in this article http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080122 and I thought it was a pretty decent look at it.