Drew vs. Brady

I was wondering how Drew had played over his career .. and how Brady has done.

Some stats

Drew - 11 years - not going to count the 2 games he played the year he was hurt

has a 76.7 career rating ... at 76.9 this year

Completion percent of 57% for his career, 56.4% this year

232 yards per game in his career, 183 this year

6.6 yards per attempt .. this year and for his career

in 170 games he has 398 sacks and 90 fumbles, 42 that he lost

Both are right on his career averages.

So Drew is doing just about average for him ... no more , no less ...

Where does he do well ?

When a tied game ... has a rating of 90.

When passing wide left or right ... over 84 rating.

Yahoo lists the type of game, number of games and his rating:

In Win 8 89.1

One-Sided 11 73.5

Not Close 9 71.3

In Loss 6 60.5

Close 5 87.4

Late&Close 7 96.3

I guess in late, close games he plays well .. just what you would want ... looks like when they are losing badly he paly be trying to hard??

Brady

Career 86 rating ... and at 90 this year .. 10 points above Drew.

In the first 3 quarters of a game he has a rating of 80, 100, 100 and in the 4th quarter his rating is 68

In Win 12 95.5

One-Sided 11 89.7

Not Close 10 86.4

In Loss 2 65.9

Close 4 99.6

Late&Close 8 65.2

Interesting how badly he is at late and close.

Comments???

The bottom line is Brady has two rings and Drew has none.

On the other hand, Brady did pull off the single most embarrassing upset in the last five years on Monday. Never saw Drew choke like that before.

But he does have two rings and you can't discount that...stats or no stats.

This was not intended as a shot at Brady ... but I feel that Drew has never been as bad as people say ... he is what he is .. and I would take his arm strengh over Brady any day ....

Neither can run ... both are similar in style ... Drew is a product of his schooling .. a drop back passer ... and he is having a average year for his career ... which is true for about 60% of the people in any occupation .. rather him than a raw rookie !!!

Besides .. Brady is a TAD overrated ... winning and losing has a lot more to do about the team .. than the QB .. as long as he is not killing you ...

On the other hand, Brady did pull off the single most embarrassing upset in the last five years on Monday. Never saw Drew choke like that before.

173733[/snapback]

Drew has one LA. And (not that I like Drew) if it wasn't for him Brady wouldn't have two.

This was not intended as a shot at Brady ... but I feel that Drew has never been as bad as people say ... he is what he is .. and I would take his arm strengh over Brady any day ....

Neither can run ... both are similar in style ... Drew is a product of his schooling .. a drop back passer ... and he is having a average year for his career ... which is true for about 60% of the people in any occupation .. rather him than a raw rookie !!!

Besides .. Brady is a TAD overrated ... winning and losing has a lot more to do about the team .. than the QB .. as long as he is not killing you ...

173739[/snapback]

It's interesting stuff. Does it state how it calculates a close game? Does it use the final score, or does it use the start of the fourth quarter, or if the score is this margin at any point in the fourth quarter?

Brady had a game in 2001 where he threw four interceptions in the 4th quarter. Monday night was eerily reminiscent of that "performance." I'm sure that that one really puts a crimp in his average rating; his "mean" 4th quarter performance probably is better than his average. It also presumably doesn't include the playoffs, where he has four games (Oakland, St. Louis, Tennessee, Carolina) where he played well in the fourth quarter (at least well enough for the Pats to win - the Tenn and St. Louis games did not include TD's so his rating might not be so hot).

I'm a little confused about the statistical samples TDad. Is that just Bledsoe in his Buffalo career? Since Drew has played 2.5 times more games than Brady, I would expect that to be reflected in the statistical samples, but they appear to be about the same.

173733[/snapback]

As MileHigh pointed out in his post (but it is worth repeating and expanding upon this point because the same fiction has been recited so often). Bledsoe does have an SB ring and deserves one for playing QB for the majority of a must win game for NE in their first SB winning season,

This is no endorsement of DB being a total stud or even him being the right choice for the Bills as I certainly would not have resigned DB after his sucky season last year. However, both folks who insist that DB is a football god or that he has never won the big game are simplu wrong.

Bledsoe can and has led a team to the SB as he did under Parcells doing an extraordinary HC job (which included constantly telling DB to throw the damn ball when he would go into his trademark wait and pat maeuver). He also thew a big TD for the lead coming in for an injured Brady and played QB in a must win game for them.

Brady has liabilities and also some great things about him and the question about Bledsoe are not the false diatribes about his play but whether Clements/MM are good enough coaches to replicate the results of two of the best ever HCs in Parcells and BB utilizing what Bledsoe can do well and minimizing his deficits for the cap hits we can afford to pay.

I had real doubts whether a rookie HC/OC could pull this off this year, but MM/TC have developed quickly and nicely in demonstrating that with continued improvement they should be up to the task quite soon.

Of great note to Bills fans is how fast Losman will be developed and if he does whether the Bills will be willing to make the switch or whether it will take the type of injury which forced BB/Weis to turn to Brady as their QB.

My sense is that Losman clearly isn't ready, but I disagree with ICE that the only way to achieve him being ready is to make him start now. His unfortunate injury may turn out to be the best thing for his development if he used the time away from the time attentioned needed to be prepared to play to instead give his time attention to learning how a vet understands NFL offenses and defenses by studying film, the playbook, and most important absorbing Wyche's wisdom in the booth on Sundays. This activity does not replace the benefits of seeing the game over Treague's back that only playing would give him. However, my sense is that he will learn those lessons in a better and more effective way if he builds on off field stuff he could still get.

Insisting that Bledsoe is either a god or that he sucks completely has nothing to do with the reality of winning football.

I took a fresh look at Brady's dismal performance the other night. To me it looked like what people have been bashing Drew about at times. You see, Brady felt the pressure coming at him and didn't have faith in his defense to bail him out, so it looked like he took it upon himself to win the game. But he couldn't. Now some idiot Pats fans will blame Weis for calling pass plays and spare Tommy Boy, but wouldn't the great Tom Brady haved CHANGED those plays if he didn't think they were the right calls? And it still doesn't excuse his incredibly poor decision-making.

Brady is a product of the offensive system he is in just like every other QB in the NFL. I seriously doubt that any NFL QB would excel in system that didn't fit their strengths and weaknesses. You build your offense to fit your QB you don't force them into a premade system. It is like forcing a square into a circle.

I'm a little confused about the statistical samples TDad. Is that just Bledsoe in his Buffalo career? Since Drew has played 2.5 times more games than Brady, I would expect that to be reflected in the statistical samples, but they appear to be about the same.

173897[/snapback]

The numbers for both are for their careers .... was suprised that drew was right on his 11 year average ....

Was also suprised at some of teh Brady numbers ....

He also thew a big TD for the lead coming in for an injured Brady and played QB in a must win game for them.

He didn't. He threw one TD pass at the end of the 2nd quarter to take the lead from 7-3 to 14-3.

Drew's second half stats - 7 completions, 66 yards, 0 TD's (I can't find drive charts from that game but that was the most he could have done from the boxscore). By normal standards, that's poor. Considering the state of the game, the opponent etc. - I would up his performance in that game to "adequate."

He does deserve his ring of course, but Drew's performance in that Pittsburgh game gets embellished like crazy for some reason.

Brady tanks for one quarter and all of a sudden he sucks and Drew is comparable to him. Gimmie a friggen break. Drew has collapsed so many times under pressure against decent teams. blah... Brady has performed when it has counted. When it meant the most. Hooray for Drew he lit up Arizona and Cleveland at home. Drew your making me forget all the others. Jim Kelly? Who in the F is that? We got Drew he's better than any crappy qb that has two super bowl rings. Too funny.

He didn't. He threw one TD pass at the end of the 2nd quarter to take the lead from 7-3 to 14-3.

Drew's second half stats - 7 completions, 66 yards, 0 TD's (I can't find drive charts from that game but that was the most he could have done from the boxscore). By normal standards, that's poor. Considering the state of the game, the opponent etc. - I would up his performance in that game to "adequate."

He does deserve his ring of course, but Drew's performance in that Pittsburgh game gets embellished like crazy for some reason.

Yes and Brady's stats in the Rams SB were MVP-worthy, or even SB-winning worthy, right? Sure. It's called getting the job done, and the team as a whole obviously played a part in the win. Drew didn't turn the ball over, despite the "almosts" and led the team to 10 points. Without those 10 points, or even the TD he threw, the Pats tie or lose. Capiche? And it's not like Brady scored any points when he was in, or could return to the game.

Brady tanks for one quarter and all of a sudden he sucks and Drew is comparable to him. Gimmie a friggen break. Drew has collapsed so many times under pressure against decent teams. blah... Brady has performed when it has counted. When it meant the most. Hooray for Drew he lit up Arizona and Cleveland at home. Drew your making me forget all the others. Jim Kelly? Who in the F is that? We got Drew he's better than any crappy qb that has two super bowl rings. Too funny.

Brady played like a rookie against the Dolphins, a 2-win team. He got pressure in his face and made horrible decisions. So you see, he's not unflappable and can't "just win" all by himself. I'm curious to see what the Jets have in-store for him this weekend! :w00t:

Yes and Brady's stats in the Rams SB were MVP-worthy, or even SB-winning worthy, right?  Sure.  It's called getting the job done, and the team as a whole obviously played a part in the win.  Drew didn't turn the ball over, despite the "almosts" and led the team to 10 points.  Without those 10 points, or even the TD he threw, the Pats tie or lose.  Capiche?  And it's not like Brady scored any points when he was in, or could return to the game.

174349[/snapback]

Brady's SB performance and being voted the MVP have absolutely nothing to do with the way Drew played in that game, nor does it have anything to do with my comments.

An entirely inaccurate retelling of this game keeps coming up over and over. Drew's one TD pass did not give them the lead. It's an oft misstated fact.

I doubt the Pats would have tied. :w00t:

Brady's SB performance and being voted the MVP have absolutely nothing to do with the way Drew played in that game, nor does it have anything to do with my comments.

Actually it had a LOT more to do than you care to admit. Bottom line, Bledsoe 1 TD, 0 INT's or TO's. That after missing 4 months of the season and coming off the bench cold. And his 10 points are 3 less than Brady's in the SB, against a weaker defense at a neutral site.

An entirely inaccurate retelling of this game keeps coming up over and over. Drew's one TD pass did not give them the lead. It's an oft misstated fact.

Yes it's true that Drew's TD didn't give them the lead. But Brady wasn't responsible for them getting the lead, was he?

I doubt the Pats would have tied.  :P

True. They would have lost with Damon Huard entering the game. :w00t: